V-Chip for PC gaming

Andrew

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/23/tech/gamecore/main690347.shtml

It would get my vote if it could be adapted to Usenet and
saynotoreality's mum put it on his PC.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:00:36 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/23/tech/gamecore/main690347.shtml
>
> It would get my vote if it could be adapted to Usenet and
> saynotoreality's mum put it on his PC.

I'm sorry, I know I am about to offend some people.

This idea is for idiots! Want to protect you child from unacceptable
games, DON'T LET THEM BUY OR INSTALL IT!

Are parents so disconnected from their children that they can't
control how the home computer is used? Can't they read the rating
labels on the game boxes? If they can't, then they should not have a
home computer at all. Parents, want good control of your home
computer, don't let your child buy ANY software, you buy it and you
install it.

Parents, note that with WinXP if you bothered to setup user accounts
with yours the >> only << Administrator account, you can set it so
only you can install software. Don't know how to setup accounts? If
you are really concerned about you child's use of your home computer,
learn how. Also, protect your passwords and change them often.

==== Tecknomage ====
Parenthood is hard. And long. And thankless.
And comes without an off switch, a pause button,
a rewind, or a volume control.

http://www.usenet.com

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/23/tech/gamecore/main690347.shtml
>
> It would get my vote if it could be adapted to Usenet and
> saynotoreality's mum put it on his PC.

Cheers mate - started my day off with a good laugh.
The other funny thing is that ppl will actually buy it
thinking they are being responsible parents.

Andrew

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:32:31 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>Cheers mate - started my day off with a good laugh.
>The other funny thing is that ppl will actually buy it
>thinking they are being responsible parents.

Their marketing department should just target the AOL community, they
will lap it up :)

Thusly Tecknomage <tecknode@cts.com> Spake Unto All:

(v-chip)
>This idea is for idiots!

Yes.

>Are parents so disconnected from their children that they can't
>control how the home computer is used?

Yes.

>Can't they read the rating
>labels on the game boxes?

Sure, they just don't.

>If they can't, then they should not have a
>home computer at all.

True.

>Parents, want good control of your home
>computer, don't let your child buy ANY software, you buy it and you
>install it.

Takes effort, hence no-go.

>Parents, note that with WinXP if you bothered to setup user accounts
>with yours the >> only << Administrator account, you can set it so
>only you can install software.

Effort.

>Don't know how to setup accounts? If
>you are really concerned about you child's use of your home computer,
>learn how.

Effort.

>Also, protect your passwords and change them often.

Effort.

>Parenthood is hard. And long. And thankless.
>And comes without an off switch, a pause button,
>a rewind, or a volume control.

You forgot that it's also the most expensive hobby you'll ever have.

It's a continuous source of amazement to me that anyone bothers with
it.

Tecknomage wrote:

> I'm sorry, I know I am about to offend some people.
>
> This idea is for idiots! Want to protect you child from unacceptable
> games, DON'T LET THEM BUY OR INSTALL IT!

It couldnt be him in yet another guise could it?

Oh no ....

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:22:10 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>Parenthood is hard. And long. And thankless.
>>And comes without an off switch, a pause button,
>>a rewind, or a volume control.
>
>You forgot that it's also the most expensive hobby you'll ever have.

And, one of the most rewarding, fun adventures you can have in this
life.

>It's a continuous source of amazement to me that anyone bothers with
>it.

I like to experience different things, the highs and the lows of life.
The middle ground's a bit boring. And there are few things more
emotionally intense that parenting a child!

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:32:31 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
>
>>Cheers mate - started my day off with a good laugh.
>>The other funny thing is that ppl will actually buy it
>>thinking they are being responsible parents.
>
> Their marketing department should just target the AOL community, they
> will lap it up :)

But just like the V-chip, it won't stop them. It is not a matter of them
having a way to not see things that others enjoy, it then becomes that no
one can watch "those things."

shawk

stePH wrote:
> Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in

>>>You forgot that it's also the most expensive hobby you'll ever have.
>>
>>And, one of the most rewarding, fun adventures you can have in this
>>life.
>>

>>>It's a continuous source of amazement to me that anyone bothers with
>>>it.
>>
>>I like to experience different things, the highs and the lows of life.
>

> Attempting to raise children would certainly give me too much experience
> with said "lows". And I just don't see the "highs" at all -- unless you
> mean how drunk I'd have to get in order to cope with the little shits.
>

> stePH

Lol, two teenage girls here - believe me - alcohol is a definite
requirement :)

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Thusly "J Hoppe" <jhoppe2003nospam@cox.net> Spake Unto All:

>And since they are in there, let the moral freaks use it and leave the rest
>of us alone!
>I don't mind if they want to live their life however they want, why can't I
>live in mine in peace?

The whole point of moral indignation is to make others (but not
necessarily you yourself) live according to your morals.

On 28 Apr 2005 17:09:30 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Attempting to raise children would certainly give me too much experience
>with said "lows". And I just don't see the "highs" at all ...

Because you haven't done it. You don't see the highs, you feel them.
And they are highs you will never experience in this life, sorry to
say.

Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>stePH wrote:
>> Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in

>>>And, one of the most rewarding, fun adventures you can have in this
>>>life.

>>>I like to experience different things, the highs and the lows of life.
>>

>> Attempting to raise children would certainly give me too much experience
>> with said "lows". And I just don't see the "highs" at all -- unless you
>> mean how drunk I'd have to get in order to cope with the little shits.
>>

>> stePH
>
>Lol, two teenage girls here - believe me - alcohol is a definite
>requirement :)

There's a line just BEGGING to be quoted out of context.

Xocyll

On 29 Apr 2005 15:22:39 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm not sorry ...

Maybe you are, maybe you're not. Only one way to find out for sure.
;-)

>I don't enjoy the company of children at all...

Don't necessarily have to. When they're your own it's different,
completely different.

TRENDING THREADS