I'm confused... v400, v500, v525, v600

I'm looking for a new phone to replace my T68i (on Fido in Canada, a GSM
network). I'd like to be able to use AIM as well as SMS. In an ideal
world, I'd like to be able to connect to my laptop (a Powerbook) using
Bluetooth.

I believe the v500 and v525 are really the same thing. From the model
numbers the v400 would seem to be the least capable phone, but
Motorola's site seems to be pushing it hard.

Can anyone explain the difference between these phones? Oh, and are they
all current models? Will all of them work in the Philippines (like my
T68i does)?

I don't care much about the camera; cell phone cameras are usually just
toys.

Thanks,
-- Steve

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    "Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a new phone to replace my T68i (on Fido in Canada, a GSM
    > network). I'd like to be able to use AIM as well as SMS. In an ideal
    > world, I'd like to be able to connect to my laptop (a Powerbook) using
    > Bluetooth.
    >
    > I believe the v500 and v525 are really the same thing. From the model
    > numbers the v400 would seem to be the least capable phone, but
    > Motorola's site seems to be pushing it hard.
    >
    > Can anyone explain the difference between these phones? Oh, and are they
    > all current models? Will all of them work in the Philippines (like my
    > T68i does)?
    >
    > I don't care much about the camera; cell phone cameras are usually just
    > toys.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -- Steve
    >
    > --
    > Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    > "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    Well...I can tell you the difference between the 500 and 525 model...The 525
    model is the same as 500 model the only difference is that the 525 has the
    software set up for Vodafone......I use it myself plus 3 other members of my
    family...I have the V525....It is also quite a good 'camera' also...much
    better than many others....

    Bigbazza..Oz

    Bigbazza wrote:
    > "Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a new phone to replace my T68i (on Fido in Canada, a
    >> GSM network). I'd like to be able to use AIM as well as SMS. In an
    >> ideal world, I'd like to be able to connect to my laptop (a
    >> Powerbook) using Bluetooth.
    >>
    >> I believe the v500 and v525 are really the same thing. From the model
    >> numbers the v400 would seem to be the least capable phone, but
    >> Motorola's site seems to be pushing it hard.
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain the difference between these phones? Oh, and are
    >> they all current models? Will all of them work in the Philippines
    >> (like my T68i does)?
    >>
    >> I don't care much about the camera; cell phone cameras are usually
    >> just toys.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -- Steve
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    >> "Morituri Nolumus Mori."
    >
    > Well...I can tell you the difference between the 500 and 525
    > model...The 525 model is the same as 500 model the only difference is
    > that the 525 has the software set up for Vodafone......I use it
    > myself plus 3 other members of my family...I have the V525....It is
    > also quite a good 'camera' also...much better than many others....
    >
    > Bigbazza..Oz

    I'm not familiar with the v400 as it isn't available in the UK, though the
    variety of selection remains the same (V500/525/600, V300 and MPX200). V500
    and V525 are identical but set for Orange and Vodafone. V600 offers video
    playback, removalbe fascias and concentric lights gimmick. I've heard that
    the 500/525 can be flashed to remove network menus AND insert V600 firmware
    (but I'm not sure what difference the update makes).

    500/525/600 are all quad-band, so they'll work in the Philippines.

    ++
    Fillyourboots

    "Fillyourboots" <spgreen1977nospam@orange.net> wrote in message

    > Bigbazza wrote:
    > > "Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > >> I'm looking for a new phone to replace my T68i (on Fido in Canada, a
    > >> GSM network). I'd like to be able to use AIM as well as SMS. In an
    > >> ideal world, I'd like to be able to connect to my laptop (a
    > >> Powerbook) using Bluetooth.
    > >>
    > >> I believe the v500 and v525 are really the same thing. From the model
    > >> numbers the v400 would seem to be the least capable phone, but
    > >> Motorola's site seems to be pushing it hard.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone explain the difference between these phones? Oh, and are
    > >> they all current models? Will all of them work in the Philippines
    > >> (like my T68i does)?
    > >>
    > >> I don't care much about the camera; cell phone cameras are usually
    > >> just toys.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> -- Steve
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    > >> "Morituri Nolumus Mori."
    > >
    > > Well...I can tell you the difference between the 500 and 525
    > > model...The 525 model is the same as 500 model the only difference is
    > > that the 525 has the software set up for Vodafone......I use it
    > > myself plus 3 other members of my family...I have the V525....It is
    > > also quite a good 'camera' also...much better than many others....
    > >
    > > Bigbazza..Oz
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the v400 as it isn't available in the UK, though the
    > variety of selection remains the same (V500/525/600, V300 and MPX200).
    V500
    > and V525 are identical but set for Orange and Vodafone. V600 offers video
    > playback, removalbe fascias and concentric lights gimmick. I've heard that
    > the 500/525 can be flashed to remove network menus AND insert V600
    firmware
    > (but I'm not sure what difference the update makes).
    >
    > 500/525/600 are all quad-band, so they'll work in the Philippines.

    V400 doesn't have Bluetooth built in, but you can buy an adaptor.
    I don' t think the V500/525 are sold (officially) in N America - they're not
    listed on the US or Canada Motorola web-sites, but they can be bought
    relatively cheaply in the UK without a contract (though probably locked).

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:08:39 +0000 (UTC), Fillyourboots
    <spgreen1977nospam@orange.net> wrote:

    >500/525/600 are all quad-band, so they'll work in the Philippines.

    Since when was a quad-bander required to work in the Philippines? Last
    time I saw, a normal 900/1800 dual-bander would work there.

    (OK, maybe the previous poster was thinking US-centric 850/1900
    dual-banders..)

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
    Eridani MailStripper -- www.eridani.co.uk/MailStripper -- Uncovers Everything!