Sign in with
Your question

IMPORTING OLD PALM VX DATA

Last response: in Networking
September 2, 2012 3:48:23 PM

Hello, I have a new Palm Vx and have installed Version 3 Palm Software followed by an upgrade to 4.0.1. This works fine with the new Palm but I can't transfer all the data from my old Palm (almost 12 years of stuff) to my new Palm. I'd be so grateful if anybody out there can tell me how to do this.
Phyl

More about : importing palm data

September 2, 2012 4:13:07 PM

One big problem here is that the Palm Vx is very old (circa 1999) and predates all wireless. In fact, it has no real network connectivity to speak of. It only supports the LrDA (infrared) and RS-232 (serial) interfaces, which severely limits your options. For all I know, you’ve never even used these interfaces. But years ago it was common to transfer data between like devices using them.

So the ONLY way you’re going to get the data out is by either connecting from your current Palm V3 over one of these interfaces (does the V3 still support LrDA or RS-232?), or exporting (perhaps as a CSV file) using a PC as an intermediary over one of those same interfaces, then importing over wireless back to the V3.

That’s the risk of waiting too long to upgrade your hardware. As the years pass, it gets more and more difficult to bring the data along once you decide it’s time. The technology has moved on, leaving you fewer and fewer options.
!