Sign in with
Your question

SB Live 5.1 vs SB Audigy DE (OEM)

Last response: in Components
August 11, 2002 5:58:06 AM

Hi,

Please forgive my noobishness whats the main difference
between these 2 cards other than the price?

I play games, listen to mp3s and watch DVD/DivXs.

The only other purchase option i have available
are the abit, genius or yamahas.

The main thing i want to know is what is the difference between theese two cards - Audigy vs Live 5.1 ???

Cheerz

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kiwijunglist on 08/11/02 02:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : live audigy oem

August 15, 2002 8:04:32 PM

Audigy support firewire and sblive don't

Audigy maybe got better sound quality...just maybe...

if you have enough money and u think u will use firewire in the future..then choose Audigy. Otherwise sb live 5.1 is good enough...
August 15, 2002 9:42:39 PM

Quote:
se forgive my noobishness whats the main difference
between these 2 cards other than the price?

Big difference in sound quality. I had the Live! 5.1 for a year then switched to the Audigy OEM. Cutscene audio and sounds in games became startlingly more clear. Also the Audigy does away with the 32 MB Soundfont limit (important if you're a MIDI fan). But there are bugs in the current drivers with regard to Soundfonts. I hope Creative gets the new drivers certified soon (the betas are available from Compaq).

Ritesh
Related resources
August 17, 2002 11:31:01 AM

Hi ritesh_laud,

um..just curious...what is your amp, and speaker?

i use the digital-out to amp and i don't "hear" any "significant" different between sblive 5.1 and audigy?

ps. i'm not a professional at compare the sound...i'm just a ordinary uni student...
August 18, 2002 3:40:29 AM

The differences are minor, and they both suck.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 18, 2002 1:36:32 PM

Hi Crashman,

so, which sound card you consider as a "good" soundcard?

i belive most professional sound card..like CardDelux at
http://www.digitalaudio.com/ they don't support EAX...

EAX is quite popular in any current games...
August 18, 2002 8:08:10 PM

I hear good things about several cards, like the Game theater, Accoustic Edge, and Santa Cruiz. But I still use the Aureal card, which offers the best sound for a typical PC soundcard, IMO, and offers A3D 2.0, which in spite of it's age still offers better 3D positional sound and is still supported in the latest games. I get around the driver issues by NOT using a VIA chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 18, 2002 9:21:08 PM

It's too bad you can't find those Aureal cards anymore. Damn that Creative. I hate them more and more everyday.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
August 18, 2002 9:34:10 PM

Since they BOUGHT what was left of the company, after using illegal methods to bankrupt them, it seems they could have used some of that technology...but no, they were only interested in killing the technology. In fact, they had a standing bid of "$100,000 more than whatever Guilemott can afford" simply to keep any other company from developing with it. Good thing some of the expertise was hired by nVidia for the nForce sound. Now nVidia needs to market a full-fleged soundcard!

August 18, 2002 10:24:36 PM

That would be awesome. I wouldn't doubt it if they had a stand-alone sound card in the works.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
August 18, 2002 10:26:51 PM

Something with more controlls than their current system will be killer, like on onboard hardware equalizer and advanced fader controlls for positioning. Things already present on my two year old card.

August 19, 2002 1:11:36 PM

Quote:
um..just curious...what is your amp, and speaker?

Klipsch Promedia 5.1. Analog connections.

Ritesh
!