Domain help

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I am revamping a small business network, one three computers total, two clients and a server. All of the computers run Vista, the server was running 2003 and was really only used as an exchange server as well as a file sharing server (a few networked drives), as well as the domain controller. I was tasked with upgrading the server to 2008, to match the clients, so I backed up all the files on the server and installed the new server software. I couldn't do an upgrade install because of a multitude of errors that existed in the system. My problem is that when I re-installed windows on the server the clients can no longer log on with their normal log ins once I had tried to change the client's domain. I need to access the files on these clients, i thought Linux would do the trick but no, something is preventing me from getting those files. My solution is to recover the previous partition on the server with one of those Linux scripts and then get the clients to rejoin the old domain so I can log on as the proper users and back up their data. I was hoping someone had a better solution, I was told that the clients and all their data was stored on the client's computers and not on the server but apparently the log on info was on the server, at this point I'm not sure if that is true. All I really need is the outlook emails on the two clients, the other data is important but those emails are imperative. Please help if you can, thanks.

When you installed a new Domain by re-installing Windows clean on the server, you need to re-join the computers to that new domain, even it's the same name. Also any user accounts are not the same, you need to have them logon to the new domain accounts that are created. If the files are stored locally on the computers, they wills till be there but you need to logon as a local admin account to get to them and copy to the new user profiles.

Basically, logon to the local admin account on the computers, remove from the old domain, re-add to the new domain. While you are logged on as the local admin you can check for where the files are for the users.

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
They have rejoined the domain, I did have to give them new user log-ins. After working with the client and another technician re have decided the emails were kept on the server. The windows backup system utility was utilized to create the backups. Now I can't get the server to recognize the backup. I have never worked with Server 2008, is there some kind of difference between 2003 and 2008 backups and if so is there a utility to convert them. I have dismounted the database from the exchange server and have allowed it to be written over, the server just doesn't recognize them, they are on an external USB HDD.

Also I haven't been able to recover all of the clients data, pictures and documents, things like that. One of the clients doesn't even have a My Documents file. They were local files, I just can't find them. Any ideas on that?

G

The Windows 2008 backup utility (wbadmin.exe) is different from 2003 (ntbackup.exe) utility as it creates .vhd
block level backups rather than the file level backup .bkf of 2003.

You can install the NT Backup Restore Utility on 2008 to recover 2003 backups - you can get it here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4220

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
The Windows 2008 backup utility (wbadmin.exe) is different from 2003 (ntbackup.exe) utility as it creates .vhd
block level backups rather than the file level backup .bkf of 2003.

You can install the NT Backup Restore Utility on 2008 to recover 2003 backups - you can get it here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4220

Awesome that is exactly what I am looking for but they want me to validate my copy of windows. When I run that I get an error, "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate." Now I know my copy of server isn't pirated, I bought it myself for a reputable dealer, inspected the disk, all that stuff. I when and I downloaded the newest version of the validator (or at least I think I did) and I made absolutely sure that the system clock is accurate. I did have to, when installing it, after I changed the time zone I had to manually set the clock. Maybe the time is wrong in the BIOS, I'll check (I will reply shortly with that), but until then any ideas?

Not the BOIS time it is correct.

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Ok I have the tool downloaded and installed, and I have installed the removable media manager required by the tool. But upon running it complains that it cannot find ntmsapi.dll, I found it, it is in System32 but it still says that it cannot find it. I have tried re-installing it. Any ideas?

G

Not seen it error like that before but 2 things I would try - check your environment variables and make sure you have a windir path and try copying that dll to the recovery tools install folder. Other than that I have no idea, have you tried Google for the error?

Just found this - Its refers to XP and Vista but 2003 and XP share a common code base as does 2008 and vista - http://www.petri.co.il/installing_windows_xp_ntbackup_on_windows_vista.htm

umdoobby

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I placed the dll in the same folder as the program but now I'm having a very annoying and annoying problem. There is a check box, the cursor changed to a kind of check mark, unlike i have ever seen. I can't actually check the check box... the number of problems I'm having so many problems, this is getting ridiculous.