win2k and winME

G

Alright here is the deal I have 2 partitions both fat32 I put win2k on the first one and everything was running fine then on my second partiton I installed WinME and now I cna't get it to boot back into win2k. Any Ideas?

G

Win9x (which includes ME, of course) is stupid when it comes to boot sectors. It doesn't know how to setup the thing to dual-boot, so when you installed winME after win2k, it overwrote the master boot sector, so all your machine knows about now is the winME OS. You need to install winME first, then win2k afterwords, and you'll have no problems

G

That is what Iwas afraid of....will win2k take care of the whole dual boot thing when I install it? Does it set up a menu on boot up or how does it work? I tried to look up how to do it on the internet but was unable to find to much info. Thanks for the help

G

yeah, win2k will setup dual boot and everything...just make sure you put it on a different drive than winME :)

On my system, it just made a menu that gave you a choice between the two, with the default being win2k, if I remember correctly

manish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As the immediate solution, you should boot from the Win2k Startup Disk (if you didn't make one during install, do it at some friend's place with same config), and then goto the System Applet in Control Panel and bring up bootup options. Now make changes to the bootup options (time,etc.) that you want to make and let Win2k update the settings (this includes Dual Boot option with WinME). This will most probably fix the problem and next time you will boot, Win2k will present you with the Dual Boot menu.