Window 8 messed up my core cpu readout

don't know if someone got the same problem that i have. Installed window 8 consumer preview. everything works fine. Under task manager, it shows up i have an 8 cores processor. Core i7 920, 1st generation doesn't have 8 core. Cpuz readout also messed up. telling me I'm running at 21 multiplier, even though the speed step had been turned off. I tried to update bios, and install window 7 back into a brand new SSD drive. after installation, I've the same problem, window 7 under task manager, it tells me i've an 8 core processor. Weird thing I ever encountered. please help.
5 answers Last reply
More about window messed core readout
  1. Not sure why it's reading the 21 multiplier... check the BIOS and make sure it's reading the same thing. You have 8 logical cores in that chip though, unless you turned off Hyper Threading. That part is reading correctly.
  2. Thx for replying. I'm a newbie, I don't know if you can post pic in here. I will let you see what's wrong with it. Under task manager right side where it stated "CPU Usage History" it suppose to be 4 threads. Now after installation of window 8, I got 8 of them. It's weird, even Everest posted 4 core, 8 threads running @ 2.67ghz. On core temp, real temp, and HWmonitor posted 4 core.

After I install window 7 back with a clean hard drive, my computer crashed. Got a brand new ssd installed window 7 again. Under task manager it still say i've 8 of them.

This computer had been OCing to 4.1ghz since 2009. I turned off the OC feature went window 7 crashed. Now the window 7 is stable and bios up-to-date, OC doesn't work anymore. Every time I run prime 95 it freezes, and I have to go back into the bios to pump up the cpu, and QPI voltage 3 times and it still fail. On the ocing part, I didn't change anything. I used the same setting that was stabled for the past 3 years.

CPU-Z info readout was correct, one minor problem. On lower right hand where core and threads displace, I got 4 cores, 8 threads. I know that is wrong for sure, b/c older core i7 920 is 4 cores 4 threads. not 8. Even after updating the bios and install window 7 on a new ssd drive i still have the same problem. Window 7 task manager keep telling me I have 8 threads. I have never see 8 hyper threading in my task manger before, only time i saw this b/c I installed window 8. Must be a bug in it. Please help.
  3. 1. i7 920 is a hyperthreading enabled processor. Unless you purposely disabled HT then it is enabled by default. 4 core 8 thread is the correct readout.

2. I dont know what to tell you about the overclock. You may have had an aggressive overclock and damaged the stability of the processor.
    Unless by up-to-date bios you mean recently updated, which in that case could mean the newest bios broke overclocking.
  4. I have a first gen i7 920 and CPU-Z shows cores 4 threads 8 and has done from day one. As you state your system was OC'd before maybe you had hyperthreading switched off and that's why it was only showing 4 threads previously.
  5. Thx for replying guys. Does it make any different if the hyper threading switched off? Do i need to turn it on? Also, when it comes to ocing, which way is better? turn on hyper threading or turn off? thx for all your comments. Also, when I 1st build the computer. I use the default mode for about 2 months before I started to OC. In those times, the default mode doesn't enable hyper threading. I'm sure b/c every time I check task manager always show 4 cores that's it. Now after this incidence the default mode shows 4 cores and 8 threads. If someone stated the default mode always post 4 cores and 8 threads. Well, doesn't until now. After the oc, I just throw away the key and never look back at the computer. My bad I didn't know it was 4 cores and 8 threads. In the three freaking years, when oc fail to post or when I use the default mode it never show up as 4 core and 8 threads.
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Processors Task Manager Windows 8