Sign in with
Your question

Connecting via Ethernet disables wireless connection

Last response: in Networking
September 3, 2012 12:27:25 PM

I've been trying to use my laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y580) as a wireless adapter for my Xbox 360 by bridging the LAN/Wireless networks and connecting the Xbox to the laptop via Ethernet. The wireless works fine normally, but when I plug the Ethernet cable into the computer, the laptop automatically disables WiFi and changes to a LAN connection. It doesn't give any options whatsoever to reconnect to wireless, just forces me to use the Ethernet connection. As soon as the cable is removed the wireless connection returns, but for what I'm trying to do to work, I need both LAN and wireless to be working simultaneously, and the wireless providing the Internet connection. I've also tried connecting the laptop to a router via Ethernet and received the same result, so I'm pretty sure it's something on the laptop that's causing it. Is there a way to change this so the laptop can use the wireless connection while plugged into another device via Ethernet? Thanks to all who respond.
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2012 2:11:01 PM

Do you have both the wireless and wired connections set to use DHCP? Are you using any third-party anti-virus/anti-malware, such as McAfee, Norton, etc.?
m
l
September 3, 2012 3:24:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, both connections are set to use DHCP. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, but I've tried disabling the antivirus software temporarily and it didn't solve the problem. As a note, I can work around not bridging the connection, but even when unbridged the LAN automatically disables WLAN, which pretty much stops me from doing anything.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2012 3:37:34 PM

Hmm, seems very odd. Try booting a live Linux CD (e.g., Ubuntu) and see if you can maintain a connection to both at the same time. IOW, switch the OS and see if it makes a difference.
m
l
a b F Wireless
September 4, 2012 7:34:44 AM

I have a HP laptop with an Intel Wireless NIC. In my BIOS there is an option called "Wired to Wireless Switching" If that option is enabled the laptop will disable the Wireless NIC if a cable is connected to the Laptop.
Check your BIOS settings, if you have a similar setting in there turn it off and you should be fine.
m
l
!