Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Samsung DVD ROM. HELP...

Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2002 6:21:14 PM

I just bought my DVD ROM a week ago and when I installed it, everything worked fine except that the sound is very erratic and choppy/jittery when I watch DVDs. My DVD ROM is a Samsung SD616 and I'm using PowerDVD. My computer specs are:

Windows ME
AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz
MSI K7T Turbo (VIA KT133A)
256MB SDRAM
GeForce 2 MX
SoundBlaster Live!

I checked the audio & ide cable; connected properly. Its currently on Secondary Master with a Ricoh 16x/10x/32x on Secondary Slave. anyone know a solution to this? Thanks.
August 12, 2002 2:45:26 AM

The problem might not be your dvd-rom but your sb live plus via chipset. Any way to test this is to play some mp3s from your hard drive and then read a cd/dvd in your dvd-rom. If it still make the choppy or poppy sound then thats the problem.

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>
August 12, 2002 6:02:32 AM

ahhh, but have you checked to see if UMDA is enabled in windows? a common problem ive had with my dvd & burner is that UMDA mysteriously gets disabled when reinstalling drivers and stuff. most annoying, but easy to fix.

in your device manager, just check the secondary IDE channel

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
Related resources
August 14, 2002 11:00:46 AM

thanks for the reply. the last time I turned on DMA on my old Creative cd-rom, it crashed my computer.. so I had to turn it off. but anyway, i tried to enable DMA on the DVD drive with the latest VIA drivers installed and that fixed my problem, but I still experience some choppy sound whenever I skip to a certain part of a movie. is that because the drive is too slow (ATA33)?
and I have always wondered why are slot dvd drives more expensive than tray drives? whats the difference apart from the tray and slot itself? eg, performance wise
August 15, 2002 12:16:46 AM

the drive mechanics are the same, so performance is basically identical, its just a different load mechanism. i just like the slot loader cauz its easier to handle.. just slip the disc in. plus it looks cool.

p.s. what soundcard are you using again?

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 15, 2002 6:26:57 AM

He has the SB live. It's in his post. :smile:

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>
August 15, 2002 3:20:04 PM

The only downside to slot drives is when it blows, and you have a disc inside.

Most tray drives now have a manual ejection mechanism.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 17, 2002 10:40:25 AM

The more important downside is that slot-load drives can't read 8cm CDs or mini/business card CD-Rs. Although frankly if you're sure you won't use one of these, there'll be nothing to worry about.
!