papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Windows xp will not accept my ram at cas 2, it should be able to go faster than this, it did in windows me, windows xp crashes though. any one else have problems like this? *note i am also posting this under windows xp

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
maybe winXP is just able to detect mem problems more readily than ME? or certain parts of the OS/kernel stress parts of the mem specifically?

i suggest you run MEMTEST86 to see if there really IS a problem with your RAM. if so, either raise the mem voltage, run at more conservative settings, or replace the ram.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
roflmao conservitive settings! I scoff at you for even suggesting such a thing! however I do think it is the os stresses ram more or the chipset drivers arent fully compatible, the ram is not the prob right oe it should be perfectly stable. damned xp! though I love ntfs I hate the os, it is way too buggy, though it crashes less than ME. hmmmm contridiction gota love it.

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol yes, i too hate conservative settings, running my ram at the hardest i can squeeze out this epox board :smile:
but they do have a use with problem solving.

and have you run memtest86 yet? make absolutely sure you HAVNT got any mem problems bugging your system.

and finally, have you considered win2k? same core as XP, but with less tellytubby interfaces and dumbass features. more system control too.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
ive considered 2000 but I do perfer xp (with a clasic theme damn the tellitubbies!) it is also faster, i have tried downloading linux too, but redhat never wants to download from their ftp sites and neither does mandrake, mayhaps i will try to get lindows just to try it out, although im sure it will be slow as hell for windows games. damnit why cant their be a one size fits all kinda operating system? a mix between ME and xp, with ME's compatibility and XP's speed and simple uber-ness. I hate you microsoft! well i will run that program and find out about memory trouble now.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I ran the test with no errors, I ran the extended test too. it is the OS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In order to run any kind of fast timings on my PIII 1000EB at 1307MHz/174MHz FSB, I had to run the memory at 133MHz, using the 4:3 FSB/RAM ratio. In fact, anything over 140MHz for this memory required the slower settings, and it gives up at 150MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
yet my ram is rated up to 183mhz at cas 2, and 200mhz at cas 2.5