Steam Lame?

Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say that I
would never buy this game because of the stupid Steam bloatware/adware. I
find it ridiculous to have to be online in order to play a $50 game. High
end software like 3ds max, photoshop, et al. don't even use such a lame
system. I really wonder why Valve would ruin an otherwise good experience.

--
Dave -
www.blurredistinction.com/director

    "Dave Mennenoh" <dave@blurredistinction.com> wrote in message
    > Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say that
    > would never buy this game because of the stupid Steam bloatware/adware. I
    > find it ridiculous to have to be online in order to play a $50 game. High
    > end software like 3ds max, photoshop, et al. don't even use such a lame
    > system. I really wonder why Valve would ruin an otherwise good experience.
    >
    > --
    > Dave -
    > www.blurredistinction.com/director
    > www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Pffffffft you forgot to cross post this to 50 newsgroups ....back to troll
    school for you!

    Dave Mennenoh wrote:
    > Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say
    > that I would never buy this game because of the stupid Steam
    > bloatware/adware. I find it ridiculous to have to be online in order
    > to play a $50 game. High end software like 3ds max, photoshop, et al.
    > don't even use such a lame system. I really wonder why Valve would
    > ruin an otherwise good experience.

    You have high speed internet. Why does it matter if you're online or not?
    Not that it matters as you don't have to be online to play.

    Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say that I
    would never buy this game because I'm a tight arsed bastard . Buying stuff
    is just
    a ridiculous notion. Why bother when I have so many friends who can buy
    stuff for
    me to play. And they don't seem to mind one bit when I criticize the game
    they just
    paid $50 for me to play.

    Dave Mennenoh wrote:
    > I find it ridiculous to have to be online in order to play a $50 game.

    You don't.

    I am not trolling. I was playing on a friend's machine and might've bought
    it if it were not for steam. I didn't say I could play everynight till 5am
    like I would if I owned it. You guys can think I'm trolling all you want, I
    was just tyring to get others opinion of steam. I think HL2 is great, but
    steam bugs me.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director
    www.macromedia.com/go/team

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 22:36:12 GMT, "Dave Mennenoh"
    <dave@blurredistinction.com> wrote:

    >I am not trolling.

    It sounds like it when you trot out the same discredited bollocks as
    the trolls have been spouting for the past 6 months.

    I've never had any problems with Steam whatsoever. I've been able to play
    off-line without a single hitch. The patches for HL2 and Counterstrike:
    Source have been downloaded and installed without incident. Steam gets a
    thumbs-up from me.

    Was Steam originally conceived to prevent piracy or to provide a direct
    method of selling games/software to the consumer? Or both?

    --
    Remove nospam to email

    Dave Mennenoh wrote:

    > Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say
    > that I would never buy this game because of the stupid Steam
    > bloatware/adware. I find it ridiculous to have to be online in order
    > to play a $50 game. High end software like 3ds max, photoshop, et al.
    > don't even use such a lame system. I really wonder why Valve would
    > ruin an otherwise good experience.

    No more ridiculous than games like WOW that require MONTHY subscription
    fees.

    --
    DalienX

    x-no-archive: yes

    John Lewis wrote:

    > Read more carefully next time...
    >
    > So you installed from the CDs and then immediately started
    > playing after entering the CD key and leaving a CD in the
    > drive, just like all other current PC single-player games
    > ? No need to go on-line at all........... ?
    >
    > And for a clean re-install of HL2 from scratch, no need to
    > go on-line to play in single-player mode ?
    >
    > You are seeing what you want to see...and ignoring the
    > realities of the Valve umbilical-cord. And Valve can kill
    > (or more likely time-limit) the so-called"off-line" mode
    > without your say-so at any time. Any of the on-line Steam
    > updates can sneak in such a change without ever informing
    > you. Valve originally had a built-in hidden 1-month expiry
    > on 'off-line" mode that was accidentally found very soon
    > after HL2 shipped by somebody who set his PC clock
    > incorrectly. There was so much user outcry that Valve
    > hurridly fixed the problem... claiming that it was just a
    > bug. A funny sort of bug to mysteriously turn up in a
    > play-control mode that was not supposed to have any time-
    > component whatsoever. Welcome to the Brave New World of
    > single-player PC gaming -- courtesy of the master
    > puppeteers Gabe and Doug.
    >
    > John Lewis

    this is the john lewis i always knew and not all those weird
    lately posts you've been writing

    i have to give you credit, this is top quality fight against
    steam and valve... you can't get any better than this and it
    crushes all other low worthless insignificant posts made by
    all those brainwashed loyal submissive valve fanboys

    i truly believe you versus gabe one on one in a tv talk show
    about steam you would ko him in 5 minutes... i believe even i
    would

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 00:37:06 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
    wrote:

    >Dave Mennenoh wrote:
    >
    >> Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say
    >> that I would never buy this game because of the stupid Steam
    >> bloatware/adware. I find it ridiculous to have to be online in order
    >> to play a $50 game. High end software like 3ds max, photoshop, et al.
    >> don't even use such a lame system. I really wonder why Valve would
    >> ruin an otherwise good experience.
    >
    >No more ridiculous than games like WOW that require MONTHY subscription
    >fees.

    Apples and oranges. HL2 is a <<single-player>> game. The first retail-
    commercial (plus Steam-download ) single-player PC game to REQUIRE
    on-line validation/decryption before play. And hopefully one of the
    last... Even single-player games on consoles do not have to suffer
    through this sort of invasive indignity.

    As a comparison...

    Just finished playing AvP2 single-player (for the first time...)
    - $ 9.99 for the Gold Edition. Great game, terrific story-line.
    No on-line validation, no additional privacy-intrusion potential.
    Download, archive and apply latest patch (7Meg) < 10 minutes.
    No concerns about the continuity of validation servers for older
    single-player games. When Valve goes belly-up (or gets
    swallowed), HL2 CD- wallpaper anybody... ??

    For those hailing Steam as a great advance in single-player PC game
    technology, please immediately check out the color of your spectacles.
    Meanwhile, I can periodically revisit my collection of great
    single-player PC games ( including HL1and its offshoots ) without the
    assistance of Steam. And I shall continue to buy new single-player PC
    games that require no connection to the net ( other than downloading
    and archiving stand-alone patches ).

    I am quite content to skip Valve products until they drop the
    requirement to on-line validate the installation of a single-player
    game that I have retail-purchased and logically expect to be able to
    install and play at any time --- regardless of net-connections, or
    HL2's joke "off-line mode". Sorry, dangling from Valve's umbilical is
    not for me.

    ( Expecting the usual negative-personal-attribute replies from several
    Steam-inhaling denizens of this newsgroup )

    John Lewis

    John Lewis wrote:

    > Even single-player games on consoles do not have to suffer
    > through this sort of invasive indignity.

    Or humiliation.

    > When Valve goes belly-up (or gets
    > swallowed), HL2 CD- wallpaper anybody... ??

    You keep bringing this up like it is going to happen tomorrow. If Valve goes
    under in ten years most people won't care except for the hardcore gaming
    crowd. No computer will be able to run those games without emulators. If
    Valve goes under in a year or two it is most likely a publisher will buy the
    game and offer it without Steam.

    > For those hailing Steam as a great advance in single-player PC game
    > technology, please immediately check out the color of your spectacles.
    > Meanwhile, I can periodically revisit my collection of great
    > single-player PC games ( including HL1and its offshoots ) without the
    > assistance of Steam. And I shall continue to buy new single-player PC
    > games that require no connection to the net ( other than downloading
    > and archiving stand-alone patches ).

    On Lost they showed people playing Half-Life tonight.

    > I am quite content to skip Valve products until they drop the
    > requirement to on-line validate the installation of a single-player
    > game that I have retail-purchased and logically expect to be able to
    > install and play at any time --- regardless of net-connections, or
    > HL2's joke "off-line mode". Sorry, dangling from Valve's umbilical is
    > not for me.

    That's all well and good, but calling people idiots because they enjoy
    Half-Life 2 and making obviously false claims against the game (remember it
    was once a stack-crating sim even though there is only one time you have to
    stack a crate to solve a puzzle and that was in the tutorial) doesn't help
    your credibilty. It's why you have to make statements like the one below.

    > ( Expecting the usual negative-personal-attribute replies from several
    > Steam-inhaling denizens of this newsgroup )

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 21:00:56 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> Even single-player games on consoles do not have to suffer
    >> through this sort of invasive indignity.
    >
    >Or humiliation.
    >
    >> When Valve goes belly-up (or gets
    >> swallowed), HL2 CD- wallpaper anybody... ??
    >
    >You keep bringing this up like it is going to happen tomorrow. If Valve goes
    >under in ten years most people won't care except for the hardcore gaming
    >crowd. No computer will be able to run those games without emulators.

    One of my two computers can multiboot Win95, Win 98 and Win Me.
    No problem playing Little Big Adventure and Betrayal at Krondor
    ( both circa 1994) natively. Actually the computer that I use for all
    my email, browsing and newsposting (including this one) . Has a V5
    5500 and SBLive! installed.

    And the latest emulators work quite well. Great games age quite well,
    if you enjoy game-play and do not get hung up on graphics. And the
    graphics of most modern FPS-style games will still be quite acceptable
    in 10 years time. We are way beyond the representation of 3D images
    as fuzzy blocks.... Multiple smoothing polygons and anti-aliasing are
    nice, but do not make lousy game-play any better.

    John Lewis

    "Dave Mennenoh" <dave@blurredistinction.com> once tried to test me with:

    > I am not trolling. I was playing on a friend's machine and might've
    > bought it if it were not for steam. I didn't say I could play
    > everynight till 5am like I would if I owned it. You guys can think I'm
    > trolling all you want, I was just tyring to get others opinion of
    > steam. I think HL2 is great, but steam bugs me.

    You may not be trolling but you're repeating all the old bullshit
    arguments. We've done it to death. And then some. No one cares anymore. If
    you don't like it, don't buy the game. End of story.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 23:15:09 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
    wrote:

    >Was Steam originally conceived to prevent piracy or to provide a direct
    >method of selling games/software to the consumer? Or both?

    Both, they are each in Valves interest.

    > You guys can think I'm trolling all you want, I was just tyring to get
    > others opinion of steam.

    The real problem is you're beating a horse that's been dead for several
    months now.

    Dave Mennenoh wrote:
    > I am not trolling. I was playing on a friend's machine and might've bought
    > it if it were not for steam. I didn't say I could play everynight till 5am
    > like I would if I owned it. You guys can think I'm trolling all you want, I
    > was just tyring to get others opinion of steam. I think HL2 is great, but
    > steam bugs me.

    You're trolling for two reasons:

    (a) this topic has been done to death and everyone hates talking about
    it anymore
    (b) the more you learn about Steam, the less you'll hate it because
    you'll know how it works and how to deal with it in the best way.

    For example, you claim Steam is "adware". Where's your proof? Are you
    just going on the steam-bashing that some others like to do without any
    actually proof? For goodness sakes, Valve are betting the entire company
    on Steam; they wouldn't screw around with it too much for their own good.

    You're trolling because you posted the same damn thing, with the same
    subject line, under two different names.

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
    print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

    Hello Dave Mennenoh <dave@blurredistinction.com> you wrote:

    > Recently, I have been playing HL2 on a friend's machine and must say that
    > I would never buy this game because of the stupid Steam bloatware/adware.

    I've never seen any bloatware/adware. Where are they hiding it so I can have a look?

    > I find it ridiculous to have to be online in order to play a $50 game.

    I never play HL2 online, what's the point, it's a single player game.
    A $50 game hey?
    Here's what I just bought from Steam:

    Half-Life 2 Silver Package US$59.95 = AU$78.09
    Half-Life 2 (838Mb)
    Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (130Mb)
    Counter-Strike: Source (1013Mb)
    Half-Life: Source (766Mb)
    Day of Defeat™: Source (coming soon)

    PLUS: Valve's back catalog (listed below)

    Half-Life (395Mb)
    Counter-Strike (265Mb)
    Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (384Mb)
    Counter-Strike: Deleted Scenes (427Mb)
    Day of Defeat (375Mb)
    Team Fortress Classic (112Mb)
    Deathmatch Classic (41Mb)
    Opposing Force (171Mb)
    Ricochet (13Mb)
    Codename Gordon (39Mb)

    That should keep me busy for awhile and the best value package
    I've ever bought.

    --
    Regards, Bob
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The topic may have been done to death, but I haven't been here since just
    the other day when I decided to see what others think of Steam... so still
    not trolling. I feel steam is adware because if I reboot it just opens all
    by itself and tells me news about valve. I did not ask it to do anything. I
    think it's adware.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director
    www.macromedia.com/go/team
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:20:09 GMT, "Dave Mennenoh"
    <dave@blurredistinction.com> wrote:

    >The topic may have been done to death, but I haven't been here since just
    >the other day when I decided to see what others think of Steam... so still
    >not trolling.

    A standard rule when posting to newsgroups is not to post questions that
    are frequently asked. Those that post such questions anyway are treated
    no differently than trolls.

    If you absolutly need to post a question immediatly, then use Google
    groups:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

    >I feel steam is adware because if I reboot it just opens all
    >by itself and tells me news about valve.

    This is a bug with the default settings. One of the option menu for Steam
    disables launching when Windows starts, while another disables showing
    these kinds of updates.

    I did not ask it to do anything. I
    >think it's adware.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Very well said John. I agree wholeheartedly.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director
    www.macromedia.com/go/team
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hello John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> you wrote:

    > ...... HL2 is a <<single-player>> game. The first retail-
    > commercial (plus Steam-download ) single-player PC game to REQUIRE
    > on-line validation/decryption before play. .....

    I must be playing a different HL2. I start Steam when I'm not connected to
    the Net. It asks if I want to play offline. I answer yes and start playing HL2.
    I don't see the problem.

    --
    Regards, Bob
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:21:01 +1000, "Bob Byrne"
    <rbyrne@NOSPAMinternode.on.net> wrote:

    >Hello John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> you wrote:
    >
    >> ...... HL2 is a <<single-player>> game. The first retail-
    >> commercial (plus Steam-download ) single-player PC game to REQUIRE
    >> on-line validation/decryption before play. .....
    >
    >I must be playing a different HL2. I start Steam when I'm not connected to
    >the Net. It asks if I want to play offline. I answer yes and start playing HL2.
    >I don't see the problem.

    Read more carefully next time...

    So you installed from the CDs and then immediately started playing
    after entering the CD key and leaving a CD in the drive, just like all
    other current PC single-player games ? No need to go on-line at
    all........... ?

    And for a clean re-install of HL2 from scratch, no need to go
    on-line to play in single-player mode ?

    You are seeing what you want to see...and ignoring the realities of
    the Valve umbilical-cord. And Valve can kill (or more likely
    time-limit) the so-called"off-line" mode without your say-so at any
    time. Any of the on-line Steam updates can sneak in such a change
    without ever informing you. Valve originally had a built-in hidden
    1-month expiry on 'off-line" mode that was accidentally found very
    soon after HL2 shipped by somebody who set his PC clock incorrectly.
    There was so much user outcry that Valve hurridly fixed the problem...
    claiming that it was just a bug. A funny sort of bug to mysteriously
    turn up in a play-control mode that was not supposed to have any time-
    component whatsoever. Welcome to the Brave New World of single-player
    PC gaming -- courtesy of the master puppeteers Gabe and Doug.

    John Lewis

    >--
    >Regards, Bob

  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > The topic may have been done to death, but I haven't been here since just
    > the other day when I decided to see what others think of Steam... so still
    > not trolling. I feel steam is adware because if I reboot it just opens all
    > by itself and tells me news about valve. I did not ask it to do anything.
    > think it's adware.
    >
    > --
    > Dave -
    > www.blurredistinction.com/director
    > www.macromedia.com/go/team

    You can go into the settings for Steam and tell it not to load every time
    Windows starts. And if you're bored and want to read some more on Steam
    Pros and Cons, then you could search this and the Half Life newsgroups.

    The Readers Disgest version goes like this:

    Cons: It requires an internet connection to validate first time after
    installing, and to update (although this has recently changed). For those
    that don't have hi-speed connection, it can take several hrs. Plus some
    folks pay by the min to be online. Steam also tries to prevent users from
    resaling the game to someone else. Oh, and some feel that Valve could go
    out of business and then users wouldn't be able to reinstate and validate
    their game.

    Pros: For those that don't care about game boxes, CDs, or reselling the
    game, .... Steam gets the job done.

    You can also go here and read the postings in the Steam forums.
    http://www.steampowered.com/
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Dave Mennenoh wrote:
    > The topic may have been done to death, but I haven't been here since
    > just the other day when I decided to see what others think of
    > Steam... so still not trolling. I feel steam is adware because if I
    > reboot it just opens all by itself and tells me news about valve. I
    > did not ask it to do anything. I think it's adware.

    Right click on the steam icon in your task bar.....
    steam->stettings->interface

    untick the "run steam when windows starts" box.

    You migh also wish to look in the steam->messages tab and untick the
    notification boxes.

    Its not adware, and I'd prefer to have the option to be able to download
    patches and manually apply them, but I don't think steam is malware.

    _____________
    Tom
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >>You're trolling because you posted the same damn thing, with the same
    >>subject line, under two different names.

    Wrong. I've never posted as anyone but myself, and before a couple days ago,
    I've never even posted to this group.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director
    www.macromedia.com/go/team
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thanks much Tom.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director
    www.macromedia.com/go/team
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply.

    --
    Dave -
    www.blurredistinction.com/director
    www.macromedia.com/go/team
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    steamKILLER wrote:

    > hi Dave!

    Shudder! Vision of HAL in 2001 A Space Oddyssey.

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    Hello John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> you wrote:

    > So you installed from the CDs and then immediately started playing
    > after entering the CD key and leaving a CD in the drive, just like all
    > other current PC single-player games ? No need to go on-line at
    > all........... ?

    No I installed a predominantly multi-player package which just happened to
    have some bonus single player games. I have no problem going on-line,
    why would I, I have a permanent connection?

    > And for a clean re-install of HL2 from scratch, no need to go
    > on-line to play in single-player mode ?

    No, I just install a crack and start playing. Welcome to the real world.

    > You are seeing what you want to see...and ignoring the realities of
    > the Valve umbilical-cord. .....

    But I have no problem with that umbilical cord, you do.
    I'm also filthy rich and if anything goes wrong with this copy I'll buy
    another one.

    --
    Regards, Bob
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 15:07:18 +1000, "Bob Byrne"
    <rbyrne@NOSPAMinternode.on.net> wrote:

    >Hello John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> you wrote:
    >
    >> So you installed from the CDs and then immediately started playing
    >> after entering the CD key and leaving a CD in the drive, just like all
    >> other current PC single-player games ? No need to go on-line at
    >> all........... ?
    >
    >No I installed a predominantly multi-player package which just happened to
    >have some bonus single player games. I have no problem going on-line,
    >why would I, I have a permanent connection?
    >
    >> And for a clean re-install of HL2 from scratch, no need to go
    >> on-line to play in single-player mode ?
    >
    >No, I just install a crack

    .... violating the terms of the HL2 EULA.......... even if you retail-
    purchased the copy that you cracked.

    >and start playing.
    > Welcome to the real

    dishonest

    >world.
    >
    >> You are seeing what you want to see...and ignoring the realities of
    >> the Valve umbilical-cord. .....
    >
    >But I have no problem with that umbilical cord, you do.

    ....but you have no problem with dishonesty and illegal actions
    either...

    >I'm also filthy rich

    .... from trading in crack..........or cracks.... ?

    > and if anything goes wrong with this copy I'll buy
    >another one.

    Since you are so filthy rich, would you like to subsidize
    my PC game-purchases through 2005 ? I promise to buy
    no more than 10 full-priced games -- $500 or so. A mere
    fly-speck to you.

    John Lewis

    >--
    >Regards, Bob

PC gaming Games Steam Video Games Product