Sign in with
Your question

Esata to gigabit ethernet adapter?

Last response: in Networking
September 3, 2012 4:58:22 PM

So I have a Lenovo Z570 laptop, which doesn't have express card or USB 3.0... And only 100mbs Ethernet.

Yesterday my brother tried to stream via wired connection some very high bit rate 1080p movies, which unfortunately, some stutter/buffer a little, or had video glitches every 5 secs.

I want to try gigabit Ethernet, is there a way to get gigabit Ethernet on my laptop with only esata and USB 2.0 available connections?? And if there is, do they really work??
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2012 5:14:55 PM

ESATA is for storage purposes, not networking. And while USB 3.0 would be preferred, a USB 2.0 Gigabit ethernet adapter would still provide up to 480Mbps. And while you never get 100% efficiency w/ any interface, it would still be a vast improvement over 100Mbps ethernet.

This assumes, of course, that the only problem is the network. For all I know, it might be a lack of processing power on the laptop (or both). So before committing to anything, transfer the file over to the laptop’s HD and verify it runs smoothly w/o the need for network streaming.
!