GTA:SA PC Preview

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 5, 2005 6:57:49 PM

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www...(que)id=118087

Roll on next month!

More about : gta preview

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 10:47:16 PM

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:f7see.421$p12.36@fe82.usenetserver.com...
> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
>> http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www...(que)id=118087
>>
>> Roll on next month!
>
> and i recently felt like playing through it again. soon i can do it in a
> civilized resolution! goodie.

I've already played GTA3 twice. I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm for
pretty much the same game again.
May 5, 2005 10:54:17 PM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:47:16 GMT, "Captain Black"
<j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:

>I've already played GTA3 twice. I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm for
>pretty much the same game again.

I take it that you haven't play GTA:VC then. That is a shame, it is a
great game.
May 6, 2005 1:48:44 PM

> On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:47:16 GMT, "Captain Black"
> <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:
>
>>I've already played GTA3 twice. I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm for
>>pretty much the same game again.
>
> I take it that you haven't play GTA:VC then. That is a shame, it is a
> great game.
> --

Blimey yes, GTA3 was a stunning moment in gaming no doubt at all about that.

But VC took all the great things about GTA3 and gave it a real sense of
style (and bikes and flying), its one of the few games that really pulled me
into the time frame it portrayed.

Mother - "Jimmy, wouldn't you like to go outside and play?"

Jimmy - "NOOOOOOOOOO!"

De-gen-etron!

Classic moment :)

-

How could someone have not played VC if they liked GTA3 enough to do it
twice.... I'm gobsmacked.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:28:39 PM

"Rich GK" <me@wcvrk.net> wrote in message

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:47:16 GMT, "Captain Black"
>> <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I've already played GTA3 twice. I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm for
>>>pretty much the same game again.
>>
>> I take it that you haven't play GTA:VC then. That is a shame, it is a
>> great game.
>> --
>>

> Blimey yes, GTA3 was a stunning moment in gaming no doubt at all about
> that.
>
> But VC took all the great things about GTA3 and gave it a real sense of
> style (and bikes and flying), its one of the few games that really pulled
> me into the time frame it portrayed.
>
> Mother - "Jimmy, wouldn't you like to go outside and play?"
>
> Jimmy - "NOOOOOOOOOO!"
>
> De-gen-etron!
>
> Classic moment :)
>
> -
>
> How could someone have not played VC if they liked GTA3 enough to do it
> twice.... I'm gobsmacked.

I meant that I've played GTA3 twice because Vice City was the same basic
game as well. I loved the first game but the law of diminishing returns is
setting in.
May 6, 2005 3:32:04 PM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:28:39 GMT, "Captain Black"
<j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:

>I meant that I've played GTA3 twice because Vice City was the same basic
>game as well. I loved the first game but the law of diminishing returns is
>setting in.

As far as I am concerned, I am glad they are making incremental
changes to the GTA3 concept. It is a definite case of "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it". You only have to look at poor sequels like
Unreal 2 and Deus Ex:IW to see what happens when developers screw
something good up in the name of improving it.
May 6, 2005 7:07:17 PM

"Rich GK" <me@wcvrk.net> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:47:16 GMT, "Captain Black"
>> <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I've already played GTA3 twice. I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm for
>>>pretty much the same game again.
>>
>> I take it that you haven't play GTA:VC then. That is a shame, it is a
>> great game.
>> --
>>

>Blimey yes, GTA3 was a stunning moment in gaming no doubt at all about that.
>
>But VC took all the great things about GTA3 and gave it a real sense of
>style (and bikes and flying), its one of the few games that really pulled me
>into the time frame it portrayed.

I'm one of the oddballs in this sense - I played GTA:VC _before_ I
played GTA3.
As a result I didn't much enjoy GTA3.
Too many little problems, that had been fixed in VC - like enemies that
would instantly know it was you driving by in that car with tinted
windows. Police that would ignore guys doing full-auto fire at you, but
would place you on the most wanted list for firing one shot into the
air.

Pity about the default bikes in VC (Bikers riding what look to be
Hondas?) but that was easily fixed with a player mod [Lovely hardtail,
springer forked, Harley chopper mod.]

>How could someone have not played VC if they liked GTA3 enough to do it
>twice.... I'm gobsmacked.

Have to agree. I played GTA3 once, and I'll never play it again ever.
VC on the other hand i've played many times, sometimes for no other
reason than to just cruise around and enjoy the scenery.

Xocyll
May 6, 2005 7:15:34 PM

On 6 May 2005 16:54:41 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Do yourself a favor and killfile him.

I have all his messages marked read automatically, I just happened to
notice that one and felt compelled to rise to the bait.
May 7, 2005 11:52:23 AM

Quoth The Raven "Xocyll"<Xocyll@kingston.net> in
qmfn7198j9uq6okf522cmv0qskbjro9163@4ax.com
> "Rich GK" <me@wcvrk.net> looked up from reading the entrails of the
> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

>>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

>>> I take it that you haven't play GTA:VC then. That is a shame, it is
>>> a great game.
>>> --
>>>

>>Blimey yes, GTA3 was a stunning moment in gaming no doubt at all
>>about that.
>>
>>But VC took all the great things about GTA3 and gave it a real sense
>>of style (and bikes and flying), its one of the few games that really
>>pulled me into the time frame it portrayed.
>
> I'm one of the oddballs in this sense - I played GTA:VC _before_ I
> played GTA3.
> As a result I didn't much enjoy GTA3.
> Too many little problems, that had been fixed in VC - like enemies
> that would instantly know it was you driving by in that car with
> tinted windows. Police that would ignore guys doing full-auto fire
> at you, but would place you on the most wanted list for firing one
> shot into the air.
>
> Pity about the default bikes in VC (Bikers riding what look to be
> Hondas?) but that was easily fixed with a player mod [Lovely hardtail,
> springer forked, Harley chopper mod.]
>
>>How could someone have not played VC if they liked GTA3 enough to do
>>it twice.... I'm gobsmacked.
>
> Have to agree. I played GTA3 once, and I'll never play it again ever.
> VC on the other hand i've played many times, sometimes for no other
> reason than to just cruise around and enjoy the scenery.
>
> Xocyll

yeah, I played VC before GTA3 and the motor cycle mods were the best. I
enjoyed booting up the game just to go for a ride on a Harley at full pelt
without bothering with missions. the bikes were just too nice.

--
Sometimes I need what only you can provide... your absence

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:48:48 PM

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> looked up from reading the
say:

>Quoth The Raven "Xocyll"<Xocyll@kingston.net> in
>qmfn7198j9uq6okf522cmv0qskbjro9163@4ax.com
>> "Rich GK" <me@wcvrk.net> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>

>>>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

>>>Blimey yes, GTA3 was a stunning moment in gaming no doubt at all
>>>about that.
>>>
>>>But VC took all the great things about GTA3 and gave it a real sense
>>>of style (and bikes and flying), its one of the few games that really
>>>pulled me into the time frame it portrayed.
>>
>> I'm one of the oddballs in this sense - I played GTA:VC _before_ I
>> played GTA3.
>> As a result I didn't much enjoy GTA3.
>> Too many little problems, that had been fixed in VC - like enemies
>> that would instantly know it was you driving by in that car with
>> tinted windows. Police that would ignore guys doing full-auto fire
>> at you, but would place you on the most wanted list for firing one
>> shot into the air.
>>
>> Pity about the default bikes in VC (Bikers riding what look to be
>> Hondas?) but that was easily fixed with a player mod [Lovely hardtail,
>> springer forked, Harley chopper mod.]
>>
>>>How could someone have not played VC if they liked GTA3 enough to do
>>>it twice.... I'm gobsmacked.
>>
>> Have to agree. I played GTA3 once, and I'll never play it again ever.
>> VC on the other hand i've played many times, sometimes for no other
>> reason than to just cruise around and enjoy the scenery.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>yeah, I played VC before GTA3 and the motor cycle mods were the best. I
>enjoyed booting up the game just to go for a ride on a Harley at full pelt
>without bothering with missions. the bikes were just too nice.

Heh, once I got that Harley mod, I spent loads and loads of time just
cruising around, doing bootlegger high-speed turns.
It was really nice that it actually handled like a hardtail would, hit a
bump fast and the backend would come off the ground for a moment.

Who cares about the story, VC makes a nice driving-sim-lite and it's
worth it just for that.

It became my default mode of transport except for specific mission
vehicles. The Caterham Car mod was nice too (and could even make it
up those stairs to jump to the roof - in that one "biker leader's bike
stolen" mission - since it's pretty skinny.

Xocyll
May 8, 2005 11:32:02 PM

Xocyll wrote:

> I'm one of the oddballs in this sense - I played GTA:VC _before_ I
> played GTA3.
> As a result I didn't much enjoy GTA3.
> Too many little problems, that had been fixed in VC - like enemies
that
> would instantly know it was you driving by in that car with tinted
> windows. Police that would ignore guys doing full-auto fire at you,
but
> would place you on the most wanted list for firing one shot into the
> air.

Yeah it wasn't perfect but Liberty City had a feel all it's own.
GTA3 was a truly excellent game, I still prefer the city itself to Vice
City. Although the oceanside street in VC was really purty at night.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 3:44:11 AM

> On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:28:39 GMT, "Captain Black"
> <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:
>
> >I meant that I've played GTA3 twice because Vice City was the same basic
> >game as well. I loved the first game but the law of diminishing returns
is
> >setting in.
>
> As far as I am concerned, I am glad they are making incremental
> changes to the GTA3 concept. It is a definite case of "if it ain't
> broke, don't fix it". You only have to look at poor sequels like
> Unreal 2 and Deus Ex:IW to see what happens when developers screw
> something good up in the name of improving it.

IMO, the GTA3 series could use some bigger steps forward in a number of
areas and I hope the next installment takes some risks. From the reivews
I've read, it sounds like, (as you say) that SA is only incremental changes
(often in areas I'm not too hyped about), but the truth is I'm a total whore
for the GTA3 series and would pay and play it at least one more time despite
the "dimishing returns" as mentioned elsewhere. It's one of the few games
that doesn't leave my hard drive.

Thanks for the link.

May 9, 2005 8:52:37 PM

"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>
>> I'm one of the oddballs in this sense - I played GTA:VC _before_ I
>> played GTA3.
>> As a result I didn't much enjoy GTA3.
>> Too many little problems, that had been fixed in VC - like enemies
>that
>> would instantly know it was you driving by in that car with tinted
>> windows. Police that would ignore guys doing full-auto fire at you,
>but
>> would place you on the most wanted list for firing one shot into the
>> air.
>>

> Yeah it wasn't perfect but Liberty City had a feel all it's own.
>GTA3 was a truly excellent game, I still prefer the city itself to Vice
>City. Although the oceanside street in VC was really purty at night.

Well as they say, milage varies.

If i'd played GTA3 first I might have had fond remembrances of it, but
playing it after VC, made all those niggling little faults intolerable.

Plus it had no bikes, and I really got to like cruising around on a
bike.

Xocyll
May 19, 2005 6:41:25 PM

In article <427be629_2@x-privat.org>, Highlandish wrote:

> yeah, I played VC before GTA3 and the motor cycle mods were the best. I
> enjoyed booting up the game just to go for a ride on a Harley at full pelt
> without bothering with missions. the bikes were just too nice.

Your gonna enjoy San Andreas then. Theres a number of different bikes
from the dirt bike, to the cruiser to the hardlyworthitson...

But the best moment, is at 10,000 feet above Los Venturas
(the Vegas city), you bail from your plane and freefall into the city...

I've largely finished the game at 98.4% on PS2, but I still go
back in order to bail from a plane and parachute into various
parts of the city...

Smid
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:13:54 PM

In article <427ecffe$0$3458$4d5ecec7@reader.city-net.com>, JoeSmooth wrote:

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:28:39 GMT, "Captain Black"
>> <j.black@REMOVETHISvirgin.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I meant that I've played GTA3 twice because Vice City was the same basic
>> >game as well. I loved the first game but the law of diminishing returns
> is
>> >setting in.
>>
>> As far as I am concerned, I am glad they are making incremental
>> changes to the GTA3 concept. It is a definite case of "if it ain't
>> broke, don't fix it". You only have to look at poor sequels like
>> Unreal 2 and Deus Ex:IW to see what happens when developers screw
>> something good up in the name of improving it.
>
> IMO, the GTA3 series could use some bigger steps forward in a number of
> areas and I hope the next installment takes some risks. From the reivews
> I've read, it sounds like, (as you say) that SA is only incremental changes
> (often in areas I'm not too hyped about), but the truth is I'm a total whore
> for the GTA3 series and would pay and play it at least one more time despite
> the "dimishing returns" as mentioned elsewhere. It's one of the few games
> that doesn't leave my hard drive.

To me, driving from the top end of the golden gate bridge to the stadium
at the south east end of the LA equivalent, non stop, a journey of about
20 minutes, without a "Loading" appearing is a massive major jump from
any previous versions...

Indeed, it shows up any game in its seamlessness...

The big criticism with San Andreas is how its missions are too easy
with the occasional very hard "show stopper". It aint about the increment.

Great things:

(Spoilers)

- Freefall parachuting
- Helicopters
- Offroading over the countryside to a destination with the dirt bike
- Swimming across to the other cities at first and evading the Four stars
of wanted it gets you.
- Missions to drive the train from LA->SF->LV and back again
- Jetpack
- Trucking missions are more fun than you think they would be
- As are the mountain biking/bmx races

Smid
!