The Usual Ping Thread.

Hey guys, thanks for checking out this post.
I realize there are a TON of different post similar to ping fluctuations, as I have researched the hell out of this problem. Unfortunately, every-time I see a post similar to my problem, its either abandoned or a solution is not really verbalized.

So let me begin.

I just moved into a new place, and almost immediately began to notice huge ping fluctuations while online gaming. It doesn't really calm down at any point of the day either.
When I moved in, the house was using a D-Link DIR-615 Router. I tried configuring and looking through the router settings and didn't really see any problems. I reset the router to the factory settings and nothing changed. I figured it might just be a faulty router. I plugged in my Cisco WRT610N v2, reset to factory settings and still, lag.

At this point, I just unplugged the router and connected to the modem directly. At this point a ping -t google.ca gave me a good solid ping consistently, eliminating the ISP altogether. So obviously the problem lies in the router.
I played more with the router, and noticed as i turned off the wireless, everything went smooth again. (Unfortunately, My roommates use the WiFi on phones and laptops, so that wasn't really an option.)

The Download/Upload speeds seem fine, its just ping.

As recomended by other threads, ive done Male-ware Scans, Ccleaner, Firewall ***. Disable AVG. Port Forward, Set QoS by port and MAC Address. No programs in the background. Restart Router and Modem. Etc.

As of now, this is what a regular ping test looks like.

If anyone has any idea, please lemme know cause this is driving me nuts.
Cheers.
4 answers Last reply
More about usual ping thread
  1. Most likely not going to be able to really fix it.

You really only have 2 things it can be. your roommate is generating actual valid traffic which is competing for bandwidth causing this or there is some issue with the router itself not being able to keep up. Many times high error rates in the wireless will cause the router to spend a lot of time retransmitting data.

Since you have 2 routers. Try to run the main one with no wireless and attach the second one configured to be only a AP. You have now offloaded any wireless issues to the second router.

If it still does not work then you are going to have to find out what exactly your roommates machines are doing that causes this issue.
  2. I didn't have work today so I stayed home, working on a solution to this.

I tried setting up the second router as an Access Point, and no luck. All my roommates are out so I don't think it's anything to do with sharing bandwidth.

Upon more research, I tried disabling the routers firewall.
    Take a look.

This is with WiFi still enabled, and disabling didn't work as well as I originally thought. Still got a few high ping times.

Theres gotta be a solution to this. I would assume keeping a router's firewall on would be vital to security. Is keeping it off an option?

EDIT: After leaving firewall off for a bit, i'm still getting high latency spikes. S#!t!
  3. Problem is PING does not actually test just the network it also tests the end devices you are pinging...and even your own PC. Processing a ping request and generating a response has low priority compared to other processes so many times you can get delays or even drops when the end devices is busy.

You really don't NEED a firewall in a home environment. Mostly because NAT is stupid and does not know where to send traffic coming from the internet your internal machines are protected.

Gets tough to prove it is your router doing this. First I would ping the internal ip address of the router at the same time as the remote address. You would think if the router itself is busy it would delay pings to both. I would also see if pinging your ISP router (ie gateway the router uses) makes any difference, this would eliminate a lot of network since 30ms can be many miles away.

Beyond this you would need to insert something between the router and the modem that could see the traffic. This is advanced so I will leave it at you would insert a tap or switch mirror and capture the traffic with a packet sniffer like wireshark. The key here is you would capture on the pc sending the ping and see if you can detect the increase in time as it goes into the router and it leaves.
  4. Hey thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatly I worked on it a bit prior to this reply.
    I loaded up the DD-WRT Firmware to my router, and for about a full week now I can say without a doubt that all my lag issues have been fixed.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured posting the solution would possibly help people in the future.

Thanks Again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Networking