• Connectivity
  • Connection
  • Desktops
  • Internet Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 4, 2012 4:19:59 AM

Hello,

I recently moved into a new apartment, where our internet connection is shared with neighbors who are currently out of town on vacation. Most of my devices (Phone, Laptop, Girlfriend's laptop etc) will connect just fine to the passworded network we are meant to be on. My desktop however will not. It doesn't even see that it's an available wireless network.

This same computer was seeing/connecting to wireless networks as recently as this morning. It was also seeing another network for a little while with medium signal strength, which it now doesn't see either.

So far, I've restarted a couple of times, done the 'troubleshoot/repair' options on my wireless network icon, and verified that my wireless adapter is indeed on. I've also asked it to update drivers, but despite having no internet connection, it tells me it has the most current versions.

Normally, I would just reset the router as a first step, however because it's in my neighbors house, I don't have that option, however as I mentioned, this likely wouldn't make a difference, since several other devices, including the laptop I'm posting from now, are quite able to recognize and connect to the network in question.

So, I'd very much appreciate some help resolving this problem. Thanks very much!

Matt

More about : desktop failing connect home network

August 4, 2012 5:57:12 PM

A quick clarification, all of my other devices which are connected to the correct network also see two other networks which belong to neighbors. My desktop sees these other two networks, however it simply doesn't recognize the wireless network I'm supposed to be connecting to.

It's worth mentioning that I'm not sure when I first turned on my desktop in the new apartment whether or not it at that point saw this network (I wasn't paying attention to it at the time, because I didn't realize there would be any issue connecting to it). As a result, there's a possibility I entered the wrong password the first time, and this has somehow locked me out of the network. Is this a possibility?

If there's any other useful info I can provide, please let me know!

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
!