Sign in with
Your question

Microsoft surface not switching on

Last response: in Windows 8
February 16, 2013 7:08:03 AM

hi everyone i recently got a microsoft surface RT 32GB with touch cover after about a week of using it now it refuses to turn on when i connect the charger the white LED comes and the screen turns on the screen is black and is written 'surface' on it. nothing else it just stops at the word surface on the screen and gets stuck there please help i dont know what to do about it thanx in advance
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 7:19:13 AM

I'll preface this by saying this method works on my Surface Pro. I have no idea if it works on a Surface RT unit, but if I had to guess, I would think it should be the same for both devices.

Shut down the device with the power button, then press and hold the volume down button and press power to turn it back on. Continue holding volume down and you should get to the recovery console. Follow to on screen instructions (you will need to get through a couple of screens like Language as well as Keyboard layout) to either Refresh the device, or do a full Reset. Reset (on the Surface Pro anyway) will wipe out any and all data stored on the device, and replace it with the factory image on the recovery partition.
m
l
February 16, 2013 7:23:04 AM

The_Prophecy said:
I'll preface this by saying this method works on my Surface Pro. I have no idea if it works on a Surface RT unit, but if I had to guess, I would think it should be the same for both devices.

Shut down the device with the power button, then press and hold the volume down button and press power to turn it back on. Continue holding volume down and you should get to the recovery console. Follow to on screen instructions (you will need to get through a couple of screens like Language as well as Keyboard layout) to either Refresh the device, or do a full Reset. Reset (on the Surface Pro anyway) will wipe out any and all data stored on the device, and replace it with the factory image on the recovery partition.

thanks for the quick reply but holding down the volume down button doesnt do anything still stuck on the same screen
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 16, 2013 7:46:29 AM

My bad... forgot that only works if you made the recovery drive in advance. To access the recovery partition on the device, you're basically left with turning it off and on again multiple times until the Surface boots to it automatically.

Forcing enough improper shutdowns from the splash screen should get it there after a few tries.
m
l
!