Floppy failure in Windows

Skrimmet

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Here's the problem: My floppy drive will not read or write data in Windows. It works fine in DOS, but when I try to access a floppy in Windows, I get a message that the disk is not formatted (but they are, and read fine on other computers). I can get it to work if I remove the floppy disk controller in device manager, reboot, and let Windows find new hardware and reinstall the controller. But when I reboot, the same problem occurs even though the controller is still installed under device manager and the A: drive is recognized. I'm running Windows 98SE on an Asus A7V133 board. Any suggestions?

Have you tried swapping out the floppy with a known good one? Does the floppy drive light stay on? Have you recently built a new or rebuilt the machine? Are you having any other problems or crashes and getting Page Fault Errors at all?

Skrimmet

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Yes, I swapped out the drive and the cable and got exactly the same problem. The floppy drive light does not stay on--it appears to be working normally. I was getting Page Fault errors before the floppy problem. These errors were solved by replacing the RAM module, which was bad. Could the floppy problem possibly be related to the new RAM? I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

TRENDING THREADS