Need advice on home networking

undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice on how to set up my home network.

the layout of my flat consists of four bedrooms and a living room. So far its been very challenging to get wi-fi signal in the whole house using just one wireless router in the master bedroom. I have tried using powerline aswell but I find it to be unreliable.
eTCem.jpg

My flat is going under renovations right now so I want to use this chance to upgrade/update my home network.

The cable point where the router and modem will be is in the master bedroom. Thus the wi-fi signal from the router doesn't reach most places in the house. Each room will have two ethernet plug points in the wall (which will be connected to the router/switch in the master bedroom via cat6 cables which are pulled through the walls.

So far my plan is to have a wireless router in the master bedroom (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/dual-band-routers/airstation-ac1300-n900-gigabit-dual-band-wireless-router maybe this one?). Then the living, bedroom 1 and bedroom 2 will all have a wireless bridge (such as this http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/ethernet-bridges/airstation-ac1300-n450-4-port-gigabit-dual-band-wireless-ethernet-bridge) in order to extend my wireless range. Will this be an appropriate solution to making sure there are no deadspots in the house?

Also, would it be better to use the wireless bridges as repeaters/bridges OR as access point. My goal is to have a seamless wi-fi connection throughout the house with so called "roaming" meaning that you can walk from room to room without losing connection. Is this possible?

Thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

undadawg

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Thank you for your answer.

So is it better to use access points as opposed to repeaters to extend the range of my wireless network? I think I am roughly familiar with how both of them work. An access point will connect to the network/lan cable point and create its own wireless network while a repeater will pick up a wireless signal and "repeat" or boost it. If i use access points, do I configure it so that each access point creates a wireless network with the same SSID as the others?

- Also, since I will have quite alot of cables running back to the router + switch, is it advisable to use a patch panel along with my switch to keep things neat or can I just plug everything into a 16/24 switch then connect the switch to the router.