I can't list any new servers using steam for CS source

I have about 7 servers that display in my history list on steam, but
when I search new servers I can't see any. I have turned filters
completely off and still nothing.

Any suggestions out there?
2 answers Last reply
More about list servers steam source

    <gapaioa@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have about 7 servers that display in my history list on steam, but
    > when I search new servers I can't see any. I have turned filters
    > completely off and still nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions out there?

    symptoms that are often reported as Server listing problems but are client
    related (not Server related):
    1. No servers, or only a few, are listed (client problem, firewall, steam
    rate, router)
    2. Servers won't stay listed (client problem, serverbrowser.vdf file bad)
    3. Servers won't list in your History or Favorites (client problem,
    serverbrowser.vdf file bad)
    4. Your server listing is very slow (client problem, Steam rate set too
    low)
    5. Your Internet connection drops when you list a lot of servers (Client
    Problem, router problem)
    6. Frequently after playing for a while you're disconnected with garbled
    messages (Client problem, router problem)

    ServerBrowser Problems
    If you only have a problem with servers listing or staying listed or in
    history (but can play otherwise (client problem), you should be able to
    solve the problem by closing Steam, deleting masterservers.vdf and
    serverbrowser.vdf in the Config directory, and re-launching Steam.

    Try a Different Skin
    You also might be able to clear up the problem by changing your Steam skin
    to the default, or to gray if you're already using the default.

    Your Router
    Otherwise the source of the problem is probably your router. If you don't
    have a router, it could be because QoS or uPnP is enabled on your server,
    because you are on a wireless connection and XP "Wireless Zero" service is
    enabled, or because you have some other software installed that's
    interfering with Steam.

    Norton/Symantec
    If you have Norton Internet Security installed, try temporarily disabling
    this service (don't kill the task, use the normal Norton Services exit) to
    see if that clears the problem up.

    ZoneAlarm and other Firewalls
    Likewise ZoneAlarm Pro and most other firewall programs can cause problems
    if they're not properly configured. Windows XP users, please note: the XP
    SP1 firewall will not cause these problems, but the XP SP2 firewall might if
    it's not properly configured. You can search this Knowledgebase for more
    help on configuring your hardware or software firewall.

    Bypass Your Router
    If you do have a router and it's separate from your modem (cable or DSL),
    try bypassing your router and plug your computer directly into the modem. If
    it's your router, the problem should then clear up.

    SPI Problem
    If you've identified it as a router-related problem, it could be because
    SPI-mode or uPnP is enabled on the router. The problem with SPI-mode has
    been reported for the D-Link DI-604, with firmware 1.81 (Euro).

    Router Firmware
    Other router issues are related to the firmware installed. Problems have
    been reported with routers and modems from Gigafast, Linksys, and Actiontec,
    and in some cases you'll need to downgrade your firmware to an older version
    in order to clear up the problem.
  2. Thanks for all the pointers.

    I had the same issues, plus if I did try to enter a game, it just staggered and lagged to the point of being unplayable.

    I was pretty convinced it was my [new] router so I persevered with the config, and in case anyone ends up here: It was the DOS and Port Scan protection on my NetGear that seemed to be causing it. Disabled that temporarily and HL2 lists and plays fine.

PC gaming Games Steam Servers Video Games