I can't list any new servers using steam for CS source

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Steam
  • Servers
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 6, 2005 8:06:20 PM

I have about 7 servers that display in my history list on steam, but
when I search new servers I can't see any. I have turned filters
completely off and still nothing.

Any suggestions out there?

More about : list servers steam source

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:08:32 PM

<gapaioa@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have about 7 servers that display in my history list on steam, but
> when I search new servers I can't see any. I have turned filters
> completely off and still nothing.
>
> Any suggestions out there?

symptoms that are often reported as Server listing problems but are client
related (not Server related):
1. No servers, or only a few, are listed (client problem, firewall, steam
rate, router)
2. Servers won't stay listed (client problem, serverbrowser.vdf file bad)
3. Servers won't list in your History or Favorites (client problem,
serverbrowser.vdf file bad)
4. Your server listing is very slow (client problem, Steam rate set too
low)
5. Your Internet connection drops when you list a lot of servers (Client
Problem, router problem)
6. Frequently after playing for a while you're disconnected with garbled
messages (Client problem, router problem)

ServerBrowser Problems
If you only have a problem with servers listing or staying listed or in
history (but can play otherwise (client problem), you should be able to
solve the problem by closing Steam, deleting masterservers.vdf and
serverbrowser.vdf in the Config directory, and re-launching Steam.

Try a Different Skin
You also might be able to clear up the problem by changing your Steam skin
to the default, or to gray if you're already using the default.

Your Router
Otherwise the source of the problem is probably your router. If you don't
have a router, it could be because QoS or uPnP is enabled on your server,
because you are on a wireless connection and XP "Wireless Zero" service is
enabled, or because you have some other software installed that's
interfering with Steam.

Norton/Symantec
If you have Norton Internet Security installed, try temporarily disabling
this service (don't kill the task, use the normal Norton Services exit) to
see if that clears the problem up.

ZoneAlarm and other Firewalls
Likewise ZoneAlarm Pro and most other firewall programs can cause problems
if they're not properly configured. Windows XP users, please note: the XP
SP1 firewall will not cause these problems, but the XP SP2 firewall might if
it's not properly configured. You can search this Knowledgebase for more
help on configuring your hardware or software firewall.

Bypass Your Router
If you do have a router and it's separate from your modem (cable or DSL),
try bypassing your router and plug your computer directly into the modem. If
it's your router, the problem should then clear up.

SPI Problem
If you've identified it as a router-related problem, it could be because
SPI-mode or uPnP is enabled on the router. The problem with SPI-mode has
been reported for the D-Link DI-604, with firmware 1.81 (Euro).

Router Firmware
Other router issues are related to the firmware installed. Problems have
been reported with routers and modems from Gigafast, Linksys, and Actiontec,
and in some cases you'll need to downgrade your firmware to an older version
in order to clear up the problem.
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 2:29:13 PM

Thanks for all the pointers.

I had the same issues, plus if I did try to enter a game, it just staggered and lagged to the point of being unplayable.

I was pretty convinced it was my [new] router so I persevered with the config, and in case anyone ends up here: It was the DOS and Port Scan protection on my NetGear that seemed to be causing it. Disabled that temporarily and HL2 lists and plays fine.
!