Sign in with
Your question

Newly Built Desktop - Want WIFI

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 4, 2012 7:50:50 PM

Hey all,

I'm setting up Blast! Comcast/Xfinity internet (50mb/s) using an SB6120 modem and a linksys E3000 router. I haven't done anything yet, as i haven't received the modem in the mail yet, but i want to be prepared and knowledgeable when it all arrives.

I don't understand networking very well so please be explicit, here are my questions:

I've heard that running this router/modem setup on the N band at 5Ghz provides the best signal strength. How do i configure this? The main goal is to take advantage of as much of the 50mb/s as i can (i know this number is not practical due to overhead estimations etc).

My newly built desktop has one free PCI-E slot (the other is occupied by my EVGA GTX 670) and 1 or 2 PCI slots. What's the best option to give my desktop wifi capabilities (pci card or usb adapter) in order to maximize signal strength? I'm about 10 feet away from the router, a door separates the computer from the router.

IDEALLY i don't want to spend more than $50 on the wireless solution, unless the solution is 100% kick a**.
August 4, 2012 8:33:41 PM

inside the router you can enable 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs

use WPA2 wireless mode

you only have 50Mb/s internet; therefore, it does not really matter if you use 2.4 or 5GHz on 10 feet distance.

what material are the walls made of?
m
l
August 4, 2012 8:47:05 PM

Wooden studs, gypsum cladding. Typical walls.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2012 8:54:35 PM

My router apparently supports dual-bands. This means it broadcasts at 2.4 and 5, does this mean there's nothing i have to configure in terms of frequency? Or do i have the option of enabling one or the other or both? If i enable both, will it affect the speed of the wireless network?
m
l
August 4, 2012 8:57:59 PM

either frequency should work fine
m
l
August 4, 2012 9:10:11 PM

OK cool

as far as equipping my desktop with wireless access, what solution would you suggest?
m
l
August 5, 2012 12:03:19 AM

interesting this one is usually used in laptops
m
l
!