Half life 2 CD key

Hi,

I bought an ATI 9600 XT and got a Halfe Life 2 CD key with it. When I
try to register it with Steam, it says invalid key. I bought the card
in August 2004 last year.

Now I am trying to register the key with Steam, and Steam rejects it.

Has anyone else faced this problem?

Mridul.
7 answers Last reply
More about half life

    <mridulp@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought an ATI 9600 XT and got a Halfe Life 2 CD key with it. When I
    > try to register it with Steam, it says invalid key. I bought the card
    > in August 2004 last year.
    >
    > Now I am trying to register the key with Steam, and Steam rejects it.
    >
    > Has anyone else faced this problem?
    >
    > Mridul.

    Found this at www.steampowered.com support pages:

    Question
    When I enter my retail CDKey for Half-Life 2 I an invalid key
    message, what do I need to do?

    Answer
    We have had several reports of players trying to enter in retail
    CDKeys for Half-Life 2 and receiving an invalid CDKey message. The packaging
    that has the CDKeys on it has two separate rows of numbers, ONLY the top row
    needs to be entered for the CDKey. If the bottom row is entered you will
    receive the invalid CDKey error.

    begin 666 trnsp.gif
    J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
    `
    end

    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought an ATI 9600 XT and got a Halfe Life 2 CD key with it. When I
    > try to register it with Steam, it says invalid key. I bought the card
    > in August 2004 last year.
    >
    > Now I am trying to register the key with Steam, and Steam rejects it.
    >
    > Has anyone else faced this problem?

    Was the card new when you bought it ?
    If not, the previous owner has copied down the CD key and you're screwed :(
    If it was new, how come it's taken you so long to try and play HL-2 ?

    I bought my copy of HL2 off ebay and it was already registered so my steam
    rejects it also.

    Is there a way to play it in offline mode so you dont have to connect to
    steam? What about people without internet connecions? (well the very few
    lol)

    Thanks
    Mike

    <mridulp@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought an ATI 9600 XT and got a Halfe Life 2 CD key with it. When I
    > try to register it with Steam, it says invalid key. I bought the card
    > in August 2004 last year.
    >
    > Now I am trying to register the key with Steam, and Steam rejects it.
    >
    > Has anyone else faced this problem?
    >
    > Mridul.

    Nope. You have to have a good key and an internet connection to "unlock" SP
    game. Once you register,supposedly you don't need the connection anymore.
    That's the theory anyway. I think Valve will sell you a new key.

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:25:34 GMT, "Mike Azzopardi" <mikeazzo22@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I bought my copy of HL2 off ebay and it was already registered so my steam
    >rejects it also.

    Don't by the physical used copies - instead, buy the Steam account. That's
    how sales of second-hand products work with steam.

    Even so, youu should always be careful with second hand purcahses for
    products that rely on CD-Keys. The more recent games have been known to
    allow banning based on user-id - and in some cases, are global bans (on the
    level of CAL or stuff).

    >Is there a way to play it in offline mode so you dont have to connect to
    >steam?

    The thing you want is a crack, not "offline-mode". These are two different
    things.

    >What about people without internet connecions?

    That's their problem - the box did say "Internet Connection Required", as
    did the many news sites before the release of the game.

    It's not much of a problem since such users can easly get a friend's
    internet connection to log in once (remembering the password), and copying
    the "clientregistry.blob" file.

    x-no-archive: yes

    mridulp@gmail.com wrote:

    <snip>

    probably its hard for you to belive but its better this way
    with hl2 and steam in your computer you would be a controled
    brainwashed imprisoned and enslaved pc gamer consumer, this
    way without it you stay free
    now tell me isn't this much better? being steam free instead
    of a infected pc gamer?
    obviously!
    be proud of joining us and stay steam free forever!
    down to steam!
    down to valve!
    long live pc games!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    Mike Azzopardi wrote:

    > I bought my copy of HL2 off ebay and it was already registered so my
    > steam rejects it also.
    >
    > Is there a way to play it in offline mode so you dont have to connect
    > to steam? What about people without internet connecions? (well the
    > very few lol)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike
    >

    > <mridulp@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I bought an ATI 9600 XT and got a Halfe Life 2 CD key with it. When
    > > I try to register it with Steam, it says invalid key. I bought the
    > > card in August 2004 last year.
    > >
    > > Now I am trying to register the key with Steam, and Steam rejects
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else faced this problem?
    > >
    > > Mridul.

    You baught opened software off e-bay 0_o
    only buy software from ebay if it is sold as "MISB"
    (mint in sealed box)

    --
    DalienX

PC gaming Steam CD-Rom Video Games