USB 2 + keyboard and mouse

hot_bobs

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Hello

I bought the Abit AT7 motherboard which supports USB 2.0 and I'm looking for a new keyboard and mouse.

Is there any benefit in getting a USB2 k+m (if available yet as I cannot find them in the shops)? Would a USB1.x version be sufficient? Would I miss any features in getting a USB1.x k+m?

Also, on a lesser note: My monitor has USB ports on it, would these be USB2 or not? It's a Sony G420 and the manual only talks of USB, not versions.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Normally I would scour the net for info but I have just spent a very hot UK day looking for posibly non-existant peripherals! :)

Many thanks.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I don't think there are usb2 mouse and kb. Usb2 is backwards compatible with usb1.1 and I don't think there is a benefit to a usb2 kb or mouse.

I don't know anything about the usb hub in your monitor.

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro have 2 build in USB port. I think one of the benefit of USB 2.0 keyboard will be build in USB 2.0 port.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I would think usb1.1 would be plenty fast for a keyboard and mouse.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Yah, so if the m/b supports usb 2 and the keyboard is usb 2 then the ports in the keyboard will also support usb 2. :cool:

I'm guessing his monitor was before usb 2 so the hub would only support usb 1.1

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>