Connecting Security DVR to nework via USB Wireless "card"

Jetster

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hello,
Would like to connect my Zmodo Security DVR to my ATT Uverse router wirelessly rather than directly using Network cable. The DVR has two USB ports on it so I was thinking of plugging in a USB Wireless adapter into the DVR USB slot. Not sure if this would work. Thoughts/Considerations?
Thanks

Jetster

agcruise

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I have the same need. Have you found a solution to this yet?
I considered adding another modem to my cable connection but apparently Comcast will charge for this. I just really don't want to run cat 5 between my modem and my DVR....

Thanks Jetster-.
-Al

Realize we were only addressing the issue of whether you could install a USB wireless adapter. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use wireless. You just need a wireless ethernet adapter (aka client bridge, gaming adapter, ethernet converter) to convert the wired ethernet port to wireless.

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[dvr]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122432

That’s just an example, not necessarily a recommendation. There are many, many sources, including standalone devices, and routers that either be reconfigured as a wireless ethernet bridge w/ stock or third party firmware.

agcruise

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
OK this looks pretty easy. I will give it a try - that Netgear adapter looks like it is widely available. Thank you for the assist!
-Al

Jetster

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Al, yes I did find a solution and it works. I used a product from Asoka called PlugLink. I have two of them. One plugs into the DVR unit (via Cat-5) and the 2nd one plugs into the Router. Both Pluglinks must be plugged into a power socket. If I'm not mistaken they transmit regular ethernet packets across you electrical wiring. So from a DVR perspective it thinks it is connected directly to the DVR via a Cat-5 cable. It works beautifully.....no problems. If you want to do "port forwarding" on your router when you log into you'll see one device that has a really odd IP address....we'll that is the Pluglink...everything worked beautifully...even the port forwarding was no problem.
You can find the PlugLink on Amazon....there may be other solutions that are better or cheaper but I used this one because I already had it purchased it to make my old wired printer wireless.

Good luck.