does doubling 128megs SDRAM to 256 help?

G

Hi, i'm looking for a cheap upgrade on my PC. It's a T-bird 1Ghz, 10 gig drive, TNT2, Windows ME. It has 128megs SDRAM, I want to improve performance in games like Warcraft III, would adding another 128 megs help that much? Should I add 256 instead? Or is a GeForce2 a better choice? I'm on a budget, THANKS!

I'd go for the memory upgrade and keep saving for the gfx card. A gfx card is definitely an important component, but as you're operating with 128MB on WinME, I'd double that up.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Yes! Doubling this amount of RAM will increase the speed of your PC significantly. The difference between 256 MB and 384 MB RAM is not as big, but it's still visible, especially if you run more than 2-3 applications at the same time.
But.... some games need a faster video accelerator than increased amount of memory.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dinski on 08/13/02 10:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Yes! Doubling this amount of RAM will increase the speed of your PC significantly. The difference between 256 MB and 384 MB RAM is not as big, but it's still visible, especially if you run more than 2-3 applications at the same time.
But.... some games need a faster video accelerator than increased amount of memory.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Memory upgrade is definitely a MUST.
As well, consider upgrading that TNT2 soon.

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Memory upgrade would definately improve performance. I recently upgraded my parents computer from 96mb of ram to
352mb (added 256mb of sdram) and the improvement is definately noticeable.

You won't really notice it on smaller apps like IE or Word etc, but you'll notice it definately on bootup/shutdown and esp on games like Warcraft III.

Personally SDRAM is so cheap not why not spend a little more and get a 256mb stick? =)

Cooj

G

Thanks for the help guys! I figure I'll try 128 first, then another stick later. You know, I've always wondered if maxing out your mboard's ram to like 1.5 gigabytes would be worth the expense. That knid of power would be mind blowing. Has anyone ever achieved 1.5 GB of RAM? Just curious... =)

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
1.5GB of sdram in ur computer is a waste of money. u only need it if u multitask and do some video editing or something like that. i have seen offers in best buy, compusa, etc...where a stick of 256mb costs like 30 bucks. the drawback? u gotta pay the whole price first, which is around 80 bucks, but then u do mail in rebates. its a good way to go, and u will get most of ur money back. eventually. or if not, for 50 - 60 buck u can easily get good ram, like a 256 mb stick. 128 should only be around 25 - 35 bucks, maybe even a bit less. and since ram is so cheap, why not also get a graphics card? if u are on a real tight budget, get radeon 8500LE 64mb, if not, get the 128mb version. i just got it and so far im liking it.

oh, why are u using win ME. just curious

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"

G

Windows ME? Oh that's a funny story. I actually did buy Windows XP the week it came out. About half of my games ran on it!!! So, back to ME I went. Now there are lots of updates for XP so I guess I should get around to upgrading back. Windows ME is very stable and it supports over 128 megs of ram, unlike win98, and *was* more reliable than XP.
I guess with gigabytes of ram, there would be bandwith limits in Windows too. Also, I gotta stick to NVIDIA, they got the best drivers (Detonator XP of course). Yeah, yeah ATI is now making faster cards, but prolly not that much faster than the Geforce4's. Also ATI cards include DVD software that is meant for DVD watching. I watch movies on my TV, so all that extra expensive ATI software is useless. I can't afford too much for upgrades, this is one of three computers on a LAN, so RAM is more important to prevent latency issues from the other powerhouse PC's on the LAN.

You didn't specify your operating system, but lets assume it's Windows 9x. 512MB tops!!! Anymore, and it won't get utilised by the OS.

Try 128MB for now. If you find yourself outing the RAM then try adding another 128MB stick. I'm pretty sure 384MB will be enough.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
dude....ATI cards (the ones i told u) gives u the best performance for your buck. if you want, go ahead and buy a geforce...but ask anybody and they will tell u what i told u. The Radeon 8500 or 8500LE are great cards, and have very competent drivers. like you, im a gamer, and i also look performance, and i went with ati because it was cheaper, and it performed the best for around 100 bucks. check out the VGA charts that THG made. on the main THG website, it should be on your right. can somebody plz back me up, cooltek wouldnt want to believe me. i think he wants more than 1 person to tell him to make him believe.

G

Grassapa makes very good points. ATI seems to be striking back at NVIDIA, and they probably do have good drivers. But if one has 200+ dollars to spend, Geforce4's are the way to go. For someone like me, who is on a budget, ATI Radeons may be a thing to look into however. Thought I'd settle that before the board moderators get pissed b/c this is the MEMORY board room. LOL =)

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
actually, if someone had 200+ dollars, the good way to go would be R9700, :)

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
i said 200+, that means 200 or 201 or 300 or 400 or 1000.
GEFORCE4 Ti4600 is around 400 too...well thats until R9700 is officialy launched