I'm totally new at this game, I hope you guys who have played this game
can help me out.

1) I have the original VC (no first alpha). I'd like to see if I like
it first before getting FA. Am I missing anything by not installing
FA, aside from extra missions, weapons and multiplayer extras? I'm
concentrating on single player right now to improve my skills. Does FA
affect the missions on the original VC? Does it enhance the original
campaign in any way?

2) Is there any way to turn on the frame rate counter?

3) My Geforce has 128 megs of video ram. On the startup screen, I have
2 choice: check the "fit texture on video ram" or "use system memory".
Which one is better?

4) When I'm inside a narrow tunnel with my squad behind me, is there
any way to tell them to go the other way? It's impossible to go
through them because they just won't move. I had to abandon the
mission when the tunnel is blocked on one end.

> > 3) My Geforce has 128 megs of video ram. On the startup screen, I
have
> > 2 choice: check the "fit texture on video ram" or "use system
memory".
> > Which one is better?
>
> the first. also, I saw some speedup when choosing 16bit
textures, with
> little noticeable visual difference.

Are you sure about that? This is what the manual says:
Textures in System Memory - use this option if you videocard has 32 MB
or more RAM.
Fit Textures in Video Memory - use this option if your videocard has
less than 32 MB of RAM.

I have another question to ask. On the option menu, there's an option
for "Aim switch on/off". What's an aim switch? The manual doesn't
mention this.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>Does FA
> affect the missions on the original VC? Does it enhance the original
> campaign in any way?

no

prolly just use www.fraps.com

> 3) My Geforce has 128 megs of video ram. On the startup screen, I have
> 2 choice: check the "fit texture on video ram" or "use system memory".
> Which one is better?

the first. also, I saw some speedup when choosing 16bit textures, with
little noticeable visual difference.

> 4) When I'm inside a narrow tunnel with my squad behind me, is there
> any way to tell them to go the other way?

There is a scatter command. But think before you enter tunnels so they
aren't in your way. tell them to stay put while you go in first. You can
also call for them individually. The tunnel problem only happens once or
twice in the game anyway.

I recommend you play the game on Vietnam mode, as the AI is much more
believeable. I wasn't good enough to do that *and* disable the reticle tho
:)

rms

shawk

"Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > 3) My Geforce has 128 megs of video ram. On the startup screen, I
> have
>> > 2 choice: check the "fit texture on video ram" or "use system
> memory".
>> > Which one is better?
>>
>> the first. also, I saw some speedup when choosing 16bit
> textures, with
>> little noticeable visual difference.
>
> Are you sure about that? This is what the manual says:
> Textures in System Memory - use this option if you videocard has 32 MB
> or more RAM.
> Fit Textures in Video Memory - use this option if your videocard has
> less than 32 MB of RAM.

Try both and see what your personal preference is...

Riddick wrote:

> What's an aim switch? The manual doesn't mention this.

Push the button to aim and keep on pushing - or - push the button once to
aim and push it again to stop aiming.

Dennis

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>> Are you sure about that? This is what the manual says:
>> Textures in System Memory - use this option if you videocard has 32 MB
>> or more RAM.
>> Fit Textures in Video Memory - use this option if your videocard has
>> less than 32 MB of RAM.

My first thought was that this was a typo, and was referring to AGP
texturing. Today's videocards have alot of ram specifically to *avoid*
having to swap textures in from system memory. But it looks like the 'fit
textures' option scales down the textures to make them fit in 32mb. So ya,
choose the System Memory option, I'm sure the videocard drivers will lessen
swapping anyway.

rms

TRENDING THREADS