Sign in with
Your question

NTFS junctions

Last response: in Windows 7
February 10, 2010 12:10:51 PM

i use mklink.exe to create a fake folder and link it to the real folder. but i would like to do it differently. lets say i got folder A and folder B, which are not on the same partition.

folder A is a subfolder of a programm. i want folder A to display its own contents plus the contents of folder B. so whatever folders i put into folder B, the programm treats them as if they also were in folder A.

is it possible?

More about : ntfs junctions

a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 4:29:59 PM

Just off the top of my head it sounds to me like what you're looking for is to use a Windows 7 "library" folder.
m
l
February 10, 2010 9:16:59 PM

it doesnt seem like i can create a folder as library subfolder within a programms folder. are you sure this should work? this library folder would have to reside as subfolder within a programms directory tree.
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 10:07:41 PM

You'd have to put the programs folder into a library folder, not the other way around. Libraries are a useful way to collect things together for the user interface, but they don't create virtual directories in the actual file system the way an NTFS junction does.
m
l
February 10, 2010 11:33:22 PM

but if i put the programs folder into a library folder, how will the program use the library?
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 12:14:31 AM

Programs can use libraries if they're written to use shell (Explorer) methods for finding files, or if they use the standard "File Open" and "File Save" dialogue boxes.

When you're talking about putting files from different directories into the same "virtual" directories, are the directories you're talking about the ones where the program itself lives, or where the data files for the program live?

If it's the data files, and if you access them using Explorer or with a standard "file open" dialogue box, then libraries should work.

If it's the program directories, then I'm not quite sure of what it is you're trying to do...
m
l
February 11, 2010 10:30:51 AM

its for steams \steamapps folder where the game directories are. right now i'm using mklink.exe. as an example:

i copy \gameA from d:\steam\steamapps\common to c:\steamext
i delete \gameA in d:\steam\steamapps\common
i open a command prompt as admin and type
mklink /j "D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\gameA" "C:\steamext\gameA"
(mklink creates a fake gameA folder in ...\steamapps\common that links to C:\steamext\gameA)

gameA can be any sort of game like cod, left4dead or whatever. so gameA is now on the small and fast c:\ drive, but steam thinks its still in its steamapps\common folder. so steam still updates the game automaticaly and everything works as usual. (most steamgames nowadays only work if they are within the steam directory).

the disadvantage is that i got to do this with every single game i want to move to the c:\ partition. it would be easier if d:\steam\steamapps\common besides its own content would also show the content of c:\steamext. then i wouldnt have to use mklink.exe when i move a game over to c:\steamext.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 3:43:26 PM

OK - well, I really don't think libraries would solve that problem.

Are there other files and subfolders under d:\steamapps\common that you don't want on your C:\ drive? If not, you could just put that whole "common" folder on C:\ and link it into the d:\steamapps folder itself.
m
l
February 11, 2010 4:52:25 PM

yep, tons of folders. its too big for C:\, thats why i just want some there.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 5:44:52 PM

Sorry, but I don't know of any mechanism that will do what you want. The closest thing I could suggest is to write a script which could automate the process for you.
m
l
February 11, 2010 5:47:19 PM

np, thanks for trying.
m
l
!