advice - recording woodwinds

Last response: in Home Audio
August 28, 2004 3:03:06 PM

hi

need to record istrument ( single notes) for sampling of
Bass Clarinet,
Bassoon,
Contrabassoon,
English Horn,

for this recording i have for the moment

Rode NT1
http://www.rode.com.au/specsnt1/
and
SMpro audio MC03
http://www.smproaudio.com/mc03.htm

planing to record istrument in a isolation booth 3metars by 4 metars
2.5metars hi
what do You think about microphone ( thats all i have for the moment) :-(

maybe i need to get somthing else for mic?
please advice for low budget solution

any sugestion of positioning mics for each istrument?

Please help

Best Regards

emil
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:03:07 PM

Emil,

> Bass Clarinet,
> Bassoon,
> Contrabassoon,
> English Horn,

If you're aiming to sample these orchestral instruments for playback in a
sampler, and you hope to get a realistic sound, you should record in a
better environment than a small dead room. Best is a stage in an
auditorium - maybe the local college will let you do that late at night.

--Ethan
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:00:45 PM

"Ethan Winer" <ethanw at ethanwiner dot com> wrote in message
> Emil,
>
> > Bass Clarinet,
> > Bassoon,
> > Contrabassoon,
> > English Horn,
>
> If you're aiming to sample these orchestral instruments for playback in a
> sampler, and you hope to get a realistic sound, you should record in a
> better environment than a small dead room. Best is a stage in an
> auditorium - maybe the local college will let you do that late at night.

Agreed; once you have the hall, look into renting a pair of Neumann KM-84s,
Schoepses or perhaps Sennheiser MKH-40s; use them in ORTF or XY formation.
Placement will vary depending on the room and how wet you want the samples
to sound.

Peace,
Paul
August 28, 2004 9:07:16 PM

If you're going for orchestral emulation, don't bother recording in a small
room. There is about 20 years worth of close miked samples out there already.
Why bother with more?

Go to your local college and set up in a decent hall. Alternately, a church
with a large auditorium would work.

If you aren't planning on using these orchestrally close micing them is OK, but
in a tiny dead room? Ugh. At least use a large living room or something.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 1:39:35 AM

thanx for advise

soory i did not mention i need without room reverb
and after 20 Years of recording close mice samples from all of You i will do
new one :-) the new one without reverbation hmmm

so i think dead room is a only option

or i am wrong ?

if i get pair
of Neumann KM-84s,
Schoepses or Sennheiser MKH-40s will do
XY formation - how close to a istrument that can be?

if i dont find this nice mics in Croatia - will need to do it with Rode Nt1
and Sm pro audio MC03

so presise qustion is how to record:
> > Bass Clarinet,
> > Bassoon,
> > Contrabassoon,
> > English Horn,
using just Rode Nt1 and Sm pro audio MC03 in a tiny dead room

i will not start to cray and give up if You answers going to be:
dont do it
is not posible
give up...
or - this is not question for rec.audio.pro :-)

Thanx again
to Ethan, Paul and Knud

Peace

emil
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:39:12 AM

Reording in a larger environment isn't so much about wet vs. dry as it
is about dull vs lively. Close micing in a small dry room will likely
yeild a bland a somewhat inconsistant and 'peaky' sound. Using a stero
micing technique (lately I've been favoring 'ORTF") in a larger room,
will yeild a more lifelike reproduction of the instrument that will sit
in the mix better. You can control how wet it sounds by the distance
away from the source you place the mics. If you're really concerned
about audible reverb, try a medium sized room (like a living room) that
doesn't sound too unruly and place the mics about 3 feet away from the
source. It shouldn't sound too wet but should have a nice realism.
Keep in mind that a liberal use of compression will bring out the room.

If you're hell bent on creating something different or "true to life'
reproduction is not your main concern, the Rode you mentioned should
give an interesting sound, probably will be a bit bright with alot of
audible wind sound. You will probably want to get the mic as far away
from the instrument as possible in your dry room so that you get a more
'developed' sound with less inconsistencies.

I've pasted a link below that has some really good information about
mic techinques.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/mar97/ste...

Good luck,
Norm!!

In article <cgqn2q$6a1$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, emil SonarScope
<emil@makni-sonarscope.com> wrote:

> thanx for advise
>
> soory i did not mention i need without room reverb
> and after 20 Years of recording close mice samples from all of You i will do
> new one :-) the new one without reverbation hmmm
>
> so i think dead room is a only option
>
> or i am wrong ?
>
> if i get pair
> of Neumann KM-84s,
> Schoepses or Sennheiser MKH-40s will do
> XY formation - how close to a istrument that can be?
>
> if i dont find this nice mics in Croatia - will need to do it with Rode Nt1
> and Sm pro audio MC03
>
> so presise qustion is how to record:
> > > Bass Clarinet,
> > > Bassoon,
> > > Contrabassoon,
> > > English Horn,
> using just Rode Nt1 and Sm pro audio MC03 in a tiny dead room
>
> i will not start to cray and give up if You answers going to be:
> dont do it
> is not posible
> give up...
> or - this is not question for rec.audio.pro :-)
>
> Thanx again
> to Ethan, Paul and Knud
>
> Peace
>
> emil

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 2:09:14 AM

Thanx for tips Norm. .
I read all sugestion and link what You give
Dry room recording and living room recording will do it for shure for each
istrument
In my town is a nice katedral so if i going to be lucky some of a istruments
can
record there.

This is a list of wodwinds i need to do it

Sopran Fluta
Tenor Fluta
Alto Flute
Piccolo Flute
Bass Flute
Oboe
Clarinet
Bass Clarinet
Bassoon
Contrabassoon
English Horn
Soprano Saxophone
Alto Saxophone
Tenor Saxophone
Baritone Saxophone

all need to be done in short period and will have not much time for
expirments
so You post just give me lots of information i need and fresh energy :-)

Thanx again

Peace

emil

--