Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Signal strength

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 5, 2012 1:20:32 AM

I've been trying to boost the signal on this router which is reportedly supposed to work out to 300m when currently it's only reaching out about 50-70 yards. I've informed the owner that he should probably look into a wifi signal booster/recycler to get the signal through his house. There is no other houses nearby that could be contributing interference and is the only wifi ap in the area. I've tried adjusting channels, which worked for a time, but it still seems to fluctuate throughout the day. Any suggestions?
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2012 3:02:37 AM

It would have been helpful had you mentioned specifically the make and model of router. Because your typical consumer router is only good for about 150 ft. radius (and even that assumes mostly line of sight). So unless we're dealing w/ some higher end router known to deliver exceptional range, 50-70 yards is just about right (maybe even a tad better than expected).

Most routers use omni-directional antennas. It makes sense for 90% of cases, esp. when centrally located. But replacing it w/ a directional antenna (or perhaps modifying the existing one) could significantly increase its range, at least in that direction.

As far as interference, the 2.4GHz freq is used by many others devices besides wireless routers. It’s considered an “open” freq, and so you can get interferences from MANY other sources, including cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, wireless keyboards/mice, Bluetooth, RC toys, wireless video adapters, and 1000’s of others.

m
l
!