Alan Wake is the new Max Payne

I thought maybe The Punisher was the new Max Payne but now it's Alan
Wake.
The graphics are supposed to be almost film like from what I can tell ,
but the real game will reveal more.

http://www.alanwake.com/

Max Payne gets a replacement?

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35653&subsectionid=1584

[05/05/05 11:00]
Remedy reveals new hero Alan Wake. Stunning screenshots and movie
inside

Remedy Entertainment, developer of popular bullet time pioneer Max
Payne, has given a sneaky peak of its new hero Alan Wake in the form of
two screenshots and a teaser trailer.

Despite previously intending to reveal the new game amid the hustle and
bustle of E3, it appears the decision has been made to get the game out
there ahead of time. This is more than likely an attempt to generate
some hype in advance of the annual LA games event, before it's forced
to compete for the first time with around a million already-known
franchises.

While the screenshots and movie give little away regarding the plot and
structure of the game, what is on show is the highly sophisticated and
eye-catching environments.

Andrew

On 8 May 2005 11:47:50 -0700, "FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

>The graphics are supposed to be almost film like from what I can tell ,
>but the real game will reveal more.

That will be "almost film like" in a Sony PS$next press release type
way then.

FunkyDevil wrote:
> I thought maybe The Punisher was the new Max Payne but now it's Alan
> Wake.
> The graphics are supposed to be almost film like from what I can tell ,
> but the real game will reveal more.
>
> http://www.alanwake.com/

Screenshots look shite. See the old hat 2d sprite background? Reeks of HL.

Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> thought that a good way to
threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> FunkyDevil wrote:
>> I thought maybe The Punisher was the new Max Payne but now it's
>> Alan Wake.
>> The graphics are supposed to be almost film like from what I can
>> tell , but the real game will reveal more.
>>
>> http://www.alanwake.com/
>>

> Screenshots look shite. See the old hat 2d sprite background?
> Reeks of HL.

what

Did you watch the movie? I've never seen light filtering through
trees at sunset like that in any game, and I doubt it's done with
sprites.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people

Ajay Tanwar wrote:

> Did you watch the movie? I've never seen light filtering through
> trees at sunset like that in any game, and I doubt it's done with
> sprites.

I did watch the video : and impressive as it was, there was ZERO game
there. All there was were rays shining through trees - a tech dmeo does
not a game make.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:58:12 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ajay Tanwar wrote:
>>
>> Did you watch the movie? I've never seen light filtering through
>> trees at sunset like that in any game, and I doubt it's done with
>> sprites.
>>

>I did watch the video : and impressive as it was, there was ZERO game
>there. All there was were rays shining through trees - a tech dmeo does
>not a game make.

Nice dodge. First you complain the graphics are shite and make stupid
claims like that it uses 2D sprites in the background, and then you
switch your complaints to gameplay. As if you could say "there is zero
game in there" from a short clip.

Why do you always manage to sound so overly stupid, and don't even
seem embarrassed? Same with the "FarCry is the MOST linear game ever!"
(har har how stupid that sounds) or "WinRAR is a lossy compression
method!". God...

riku wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:58:12 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Ajay Tanwar wrote:
>>
>>>Did you watch the movie? I've never seen light filtering through
>>>trees at sunset like that in any game, and I doubt it's done with
>>>sprites.
>>>

>>I did watch the video : and impressive as it was, there was ZERO game
>>there. All there was were rays shining through trees - a tech dmeo does
>>not a game make.
>

> Nice dodge. First you complain the graphics are shite and make stupid
> claims like that it uses 2D sprites in the background, and then you

err, how do you make the connection? two seperate subjects. The
snapshots look awful (those incorporating characters), the video is
merely a panoramic view showing off light seeping throuugh foliage. Look
at the shots and come back to me. Bad Marketing maybe.

> switch your complaints to gameplay. As if you could say "there is zero
> game in there" from a short clip.

Did you see the clip? It was *simply scenery*, No gameplay whatsoever -
regardless of the clip length. Which brings us nicely to your next
comments ..

> Why do you always manage to sound so overly stupid, and don't even
> seem embarrassed? Same with the "FarCry is the MOST linear game ever!"
> (har har how stupid that sounds) or "WinRAR is a lossy compression
> method!". God...

I never said WinRAR was a lossy compression method in those words. I
said JPEG was a lossy compression method. And if I did as a typo or cut
& paste error, even you should realise I'm not that stupid - I leave
that to you and diFool.

If the game is beautiful at the end of the day then great - I'm not a
habitual game knocker. I even defended Doom3 for "what it was". I didnt
hate Far Cry - it just bored me - and the constant drivel from FanBoyz
like yourself about its "openness" was simple insane. I played the game.
It is NOT a non-linear game - it is a story driven point to point FPS
with larger play areas than a lot of games.

I'd forgotten what a dork you were. Back in you go.

--
Walter Mitty
-