Sign in with
Your question

Mystery Component on Network Map

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 5, 2012 1:47:30 AM

Hello,
I have a question concerning my Network Map. My computer is a Lenovo G560 and is not a part of a Home Group or office network. I use it at home and access the Internet using a Belkin Wireless Router which is connected to a Cox modem.
So today I went to my network sharing center and asked for a network map to be made showing all the components in the circuit from my laptop to the Internet. It looks like this:

My PC ----> Unknown ? ----> Wireless Router ----> Internet

My question is what is the "Unknown" component? It is worrisome in that I am not aware of ANYTHING between the laptop and the Belkin Wireless Router. Any Ideas on what this might be?
August 5, 2012 3:09:05 AM

Hard to say without seeing your actual devices. Could you perhaps be using a wireless repeater/bridge between the PC and wireless router? Can you click on it and get any details?
m
l
August 5, 2012 3:44:05 AM

eibgrad said:
Hard to say without seeing your actual devices. Could you perhaps be using a wireless repeater/bridge between the PC and wireless router? Can you click on it and get any details?

Hi there! Thanks for replying. :wahoo: 

No, I don't have a repeater or a bridge. The icon just shows a big question mark and the word "Unknown". When I try to click on it, it just says "Unknown". I am wondering if maybe there is some device being used on my signal between the laptop and the router. Like maybe some kind of surveillence device or something. Is that possible?

I disconnected the wireless and am now running a hard connection and I show a straight line map between my laptop, the modem and the Internet. It seems like a very strange place to have another device appearing in the Network Map. What do you think? Is there any way to run a discovery on the device?
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 6:01:31 AM

OK, I'll give that a try... It's pretty late here in California right now, but I will do this tomorrow and let you know what I've been able to discover. Thanks so much for your help, I'm really baffled by this.
m
l
!