Bit of an XP installation dilema

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, I've got an older system that I want to put WinXP Pro on. It has a clean hard drive ready for the install, but the only CD-ROM is a SCSI drive on a non-bootable SCSI card. The only way I can think to do it is to use a Windows boot disk to start up with CD-ROM support but the problem here is that all I have are Windows 98 and ME boot disks (which boot into DOS mode where the installer cant be started). Does anyone know where I can download a program to make WinXP Repair or Boot disks? I think this should solve my problem without me having to take an IDE drive from another computer.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291" target="_new">Windows XP Pro Setup Disks for floppy boot install</A>
<font color=green>Courtesy of "Toey's WinXP Links"</font color=green> :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A>-<b>reorganized</b> & updated everyday

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
just boot from a floppy that allows you to access your cd, then run winnt from the i386 folder, or copy the i386 folder to your hdd and run it from there

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think i want to actually install windows instead of copying folders. and you can't use any DOS-based boot disk as the setup program will not run in a dos environment.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh, and btvillarin, thanks for the link, i could not find the files for the life of me.