HL2 mappacks...

....larger than 10 MB are finally starting to appear and I played some.
Overall most were fun to play but two things did bother me about them:

- What happened to the cool mod directory principle of Half-Life, that was
even copied by id for Doom 3? All the packs I played had to be started
from the console like in the old days. Isn't there some alternative from
the Steam program or is this only available to Valve sponsored mods?

- It seems that the HL2 engine is not as good for large areas as most of
us assume as one pack playing in a small urban section was slower on my
system than Doom 3 because it didn't use the not-visible-through-portal
method which was much more obvious than in HL2 in another levelpack.

More about mappacks

    x-no-archive: yes

    Werner Spahl wrote:

    how to start a mod is a detail! an insignificant detail!
    what is important is the way valve forces mod developers
    and pc gamers to use mods
    with steam mod developers no longer can give their work
    directly to pc gamers, the free exchange was killed by
    valve and that means everything

    it's censorship! pure censorship! like a dictatorship!
    the dictator valve has to "review" every work before its
    released to the public
    THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! THIS IS CENSORSHIP!

    mods are all about community and share amount pc gamers not
    a publisher like valve having total control and monitoring
    every move and creation done by gamers

    mod developers should BOYCOTT half-life 2!

    mod developers working in half-life 2 are traitors and a
    complete disgrace to their kind!

    mods were always about FREEDOM!
    valve killed that freedom like they are killing everything
    good in pc games!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > with steam mod developers no longer can give their work
    > directly to pc gamers, the free exchange was killed by
    > valve and that means everything
    >
    > it's censorship! pure censorship! like a dictatorship!
    > the dictator valve has to "review" every work before its
    > released to the public
    > THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! THIS IS CENSORSHIP!

    Really? I thought you could just dump the files in the HL2 directory
    and start it through the console. Not ideal, but it cuts out Valve.

    If the only way to get your mod out there is for Valve to recognise it,
    do they actually review the mod and only let it through if it meets
    their criteria? Or do they just make everything available?

    On Wed, 11 May 2005, Chadwick wrote:

    > Really? I thought you could just dump the files in the HL2 directory
    > and start it through the console. Not ideal, but it cuts out Valve.

    Still stupid of Valve to cut out their own great idea which is continued
    in other games like Doom 3. It reeks again like more control for them.

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 13:50:53 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 May 2005, Chadwick wrote:
    >
    >> Really? I thought you could just dump the files in the HL2 directory
    >> and start it through the console. Not ideal, but it cuts out Valve.
    >
    >Still stupid of Valve to cut out their own great idea which is continued
    >in other games like Doom 3. It reeks again like more control for them.

    Not by much. It's easy to produce a HL2 Mod without having to do anything
    special. All that's needed is to create a new directory and install.

    I know this for sure - I used the Source SDK to create my own custom mod
    (which hasn't yet been modified), and it appears in the "My Games" list.
    Installing map packs shoudn't be any different (although they are generally
    installed directly in the game or mod they were designed for.)

    The only thing I don't like is the fact that addons tend to mingle in
    directly with what appears to be the main mod.

    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    > ...larger than 10 MB are finally starting to appear and I played some.
    > Overall most were fun to play but two things did bother me about them:
    >
    > - What happened to the cool mod directory principle of Half-Life, that was
    > even copied by id for Doom 3? All the packs I played had to be started
    > from the console like in the old days. Isn't there some alternative from
    > the Steam program or is this only available to Valve sponsored mods?
    >
    > - It seems that the HL2 engine is not as good for large areas as most of
    > us assume as one pack playing in a small urban section was slower on my
    > system than Doom 3 because it didn't use the not-visible-through-portal
    > method which was much more obvious than in HL2 in another levelpack.
    >
    > --
    > Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    > "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships

    thought it just depended on how the mod author uses the sdk? might be wrong
    as i haven't really used it very much.

    On Wed, 11 May 2005, Raymond Martineau wrote:

    > I know this for sure - I used the Source SDK to create my own custom mod
    > (which hasn't yet been modified), and it appears in the "My Games" list.
    > Installing map packs shoudn't be any different.

    Maybe using the SDK is too complicated, or why do most of the current
    mappack creators use the console way? In HL1 it could be done by simply
    editing a text file, without needing the SDK at all...

    x-no-archive: yes

    Chadwick wrote:

    i read otherwise but don't remember here but basically was
    mods had to be loaded from a central steam valve server
    mod creators had to give all their work to valve and then
    they would made it available in their servers

    were did you get the mods? wasn't from a valve server?

    basically valve wants to be on the center of everything
    like in a "1984" dictatorship type world were "big brother"
    knows everything

    valve centralizes everything and knows about everything even
    what you are doing right now

    i bet in the future you will have religion based cults around
    steam worshiping master valve

    --

    Raymond Martineau wrote:

    > >On Wed, 11 May 2005, Chadwick wrote:
    > >
    > >> Really? I thought you could just dump the files in the HL2
    directory
    > >> and start it through the console. Not ideal, but it cuts out
    Valve.

    > It's easy to produce a HL2 Mod without having to do anything
    > special. All that's needed is to create a new directory and install.
    >
    > I know this for sure - I used the Source SDK to create my own custom
    mod
    > (which hasn't yet been modified), and it appears in the "My Games"
    list.
    > Installing map packs shoudn't be any different (although they are
    generally
    > installed directly in the game or mod they were designed for.)
    >
    > The only thing I don't like is the fact that addons tend to mingle in
    > directly with what appears to be the main mod.

    Good call. I did the same myself, with the same results: "My Mod"
    (imaginative title, huh?) appears in the My Games list.

    So does it follow that you can just drop a mappack or mod into the
    appropriate directory and it will appear in the Steam menu? It can be
    started from the Steam menu instead of the console? And you don't need
    to have it "certified" by Valve first?

    On Thu, 12 May 2005, Chadwick wrote:

    > So does it follow that you can just drop a mappack or mod into the
    > appropriate directory and it will appear in the Steam menu?

    If this is so easy, why is noone doing it? After all these were
    supposedly mappacks from Half-Life mapping veterans...

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Chadwick wrote:
    >
    > i read otherwise but don't remember here but basically was
    > mods had to be loaded from a central steam valve server
    > mod creators had to give all their work to valve and then
    > they would made it available in their servers
    >
    > were did you get the mods? wasn't from a valve server?
    >
    > basically valve wants to be on the center of everything
    > like in a "1984" dictatorship type world were "big brother"
    > knows everything
    >
    > valve centralizes everything and knows about everything even
    > what you are doing right now
    >
    > i bet in the future you will have religion based cults around
    > steam worshiping master valve

    SteamKILLER, listen carefully:

    You do NOT get mods for a Valve server, unless they are specifically
    from Valve. 3rd party mods can be placed in a folder called SourceMods
    in your Steam folder and these appear as such in the Steam menu. They do
    not have to be validated by Valve at all.

    Therefore, your assumption was WRONG. If that assumption about Steam was
    wrong, imagine how wrong you may be about a lot of other things
    regarding Steam. If you're working on incorrect information, perhaps
    your STUPID, IDIOTIC, RETARDED campaign against Steam is baseless.

    And if that's the case, you're finished here.

    On 2005-05-12, GFree <gfree678@gmail.com> wrote:
    > steamKILLER wrote:
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> Chadwick wrote:
    >>
    >> i read otherwise but don't remember here but basically was
    >> mods had to be loaded from a central steam valve server
    >> mod creators had to give all their work to valve and then
    >> they would made it available in their servers
    >>
    >> were did you get the mods? wasn't from a valve server?
    >>
    >> basically valve wants to be on the center of everything
    >> like in a "1984" dictatorship type world were "big brother"
    >> knows everything
    >>
    >> valve centralizes everything and knows about everything even
    >> what you are doing right now
    >>
    >> i bet in the future you will have religion based cults around
    >> steam worshiping master valve
    >
    > SteamKILLER, listen carefully:
    >
    > You do NOT get mods for a Valve server, unless they are specifically
    > from Valve. 3rd party mods can be placed in a folder called SourceMods
    > in your Steam folder and these appear as such in the Steam menu. They do
    > not have to be validated by Valve at all.
    >
    > Therefore, your assumption was WRONG. If that assumption about Steam was
    > wrong, imagine how wrong you may be about a lot of other things
    > regarding Steam. If you're working on incorrect information, perhaps
    > your STUPID, IDIOTIC, RETARDED campaign against Steam is baseless.
    >
    > And if that's the case, you're finished here.

    Please just kf the troll.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > ...larger than 10 MB are finally starting to appear and I played some.
    > Overall most were fun to play but two things did bother me about them:
    >
    > - What happened to the cool mod directory principle of Half-Life, that was
    > even copied by id for Doom 3? All the packs I played had to be started
    > from the console like in the old days. Isn't there some alternative from
    > the Steam program or is this only available to Valve sponsored mods?
    >
    > - It seems that the HL2 engine is not as good for large areas as most of
    > us assume as one pack playing in a small urban section was slower on my
    > system than Doom 3 because it didn't use the not-visible-through-portal
    > method which was much more obvious than in HL2 in another levelpack.

    Man, I'd just like to find a good single-player Half-Life mod. Or just a
    level to play through. Doesn't have to be on the scale of _They Hunger_.

    But when I go searching on the HL2 websites, all I see are Mods in
    Progress and lots of weapon renders.

    Can someone point me to a nice single-player adventure I can download
    and play?

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:37:17 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 May 2005, Chadwick wrote:
    >
    >> So does it follow that you can just drop a mappack or mod into the
    >> appropriate directory and it will appear in the Steam menu?
    >
    >If this is so easy, why is noone doing it? After all these were
    >supposedly mappacks from Half-Life mapping veterans...

    Map packs are intended to be used with the mod they are written for. For
    example, if they are HL2DM maps, they are placed in the HL2DM folder
    directly (

    The reason these mapping veterens don't create a mod for these packs is
    because it would fragment the online-play. You only need to play around
    with mods only if you need to change gameplay mechanics.

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005, Raymond Martineau wrote:
    >
    > > The reason these mapping veterens don't create a mod for these
    packs is
    > > because it would fragment the online-play. You only need to play
    around
    > > with mods only if you need to change gameplay mechanics.
    >
    > These mappacks were singleplayer only and it just seems that there is
    > "mod" button missing in the HL2 menu to make such things easy, while
    the
    > Steam variant only makes sense for complete mods...

    I think the way HL1 worked with mods and map packs was that it treated
    them as basically the same. A true mod was just a map pack with a lot
    of other stuff as well.

    This worked because the game engine would look first in the mod
    directory fior any file. So if it was looking for the model and
    animations for a soldier, it would look in the mod directory first. If
    it failed to find anything there, it would then check the default HL
    directory and use whatever it found there. In tis way, if you wanted to
    change the sounds, textures, models etc, you could do so by simply
    putting the appropriate file in the mod directory. If you just put maps
    in there, then your "mod" was really a map pack, but the game didn't
    care.
    The result was that all mods and map packs appeared in the mod window
    all together.

    I don't mind if Steam does the same and lists them all in the My Games
    window, although it would be tidier if only true mods were listed as
    "games" and once you started the mod/game there was an menu option in
    the game to access the various map packs for that mod.

    On Thu, 12 May 2005, Raymond Martineau wrote:

    > The reason these mapping veterens don't create a mod for these packs is
    > because it would fragment the online-play. You only need to play around
    > with mods only if you need to change gameplay mechanics.

    These mappacks were singleplayer only and it just seems that there is a

    On Thu, 12 May 2005, Brian Siano wrote:

    > Can someone point me to a nice single-player adventure I can download
    > and play?

    The ones I tried were: Leon's Singleplayer mappack, SP: Das Roboss and
    Return of the Restistance #1. You can get all of them from fileplanet.

PC gaming Video Games