IDE connections for hard drives

jcfl1003

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I have a dell computer that has one standard hard drive and a zip drive. Now I wanted to add an additional hard drive to my system so I need a IDE cable that will connect to all 3 drives. Those it allows me to connect to all 3 drive using a single IDE cable?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jcfl1003 on 08/14/02 04:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

zigzag

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
you cannot connect more than two devices to an IDE cable at once. You will need to buy an additional IDE cable, and connect this to the secondary IDE controller on your motherboard. See you motherboard manual for the secondary controllers location, its usually right next to the primary. Simply plug your new IDE cable into the other controller, and plug the last connector of the cable into your HD or zipdrive. If you are connecting to a HD, make sure you have the jumper settings on the HD set to "Master" or "Cable Select". You will find instructions for this on the HD itself. Once finished, boot up your machine and make sure the bios finds the new hardware. If it doesn't, then there is no sense in continuing on into windows (or whatever OS you're running). Turn off your machine, check your setup and try again. HTH.

-zigzag