Fary Cry 64 bit - the first reason to get 64 bit Windows .

Andrew

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42:05 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/cckza (link to AMD site)
>
>Drool, slobber, etc.

Does 64bit make it fun?

> On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42:05 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
> <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://tinyurl.com/cckza (link to AMD site)
> >
> >Drool, slobber, etc.
>
> Does 64bit make it fun?

Don't know, but it was fun to begin with.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>> Does 64bit make it fun?
>
> Don't know, but it was fun to begin with.

I've never understood the FarCry bashing that seems to be the latest
fad. This is a high-quality game, with evolutionary advancements in engine
technology, and a decent storyline. Grow up.

rms

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> >> Does 64bit make it fun?
> >
> > Don't know, but it was fun to begin with.
>
> I've never understood the FarCry bashing that seems to be the latest
> fad. This is a high-quality game, with evolutionary advancements in
engine
> technology, and a decent storyline. Grow up.
>
> rms

And at a very reasonable price from launch. Among other things, it's the
non-linearism aspect. To some extent, the more you care about
non-linearism, the more you'll like Far Cry relative to other games.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42:05 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/cckza (link to AMD site)
>
>Drool, slobber, etc.

See the following Anandtech article for a great overview with
pictures:-

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2411

The 64-bit patches are now also available on:-

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/farcry/downloads/

Also, read the README files that come with the downloads very
carefully before installation. You can still play the 32-bit version
after the 64-bit patch, if you comply with the instructions first.....

You require the 64-bit version of Windows XP Pro, inc. drivers.......

There are 2 huge files:-

1. The AMD64 Far Cry executable upgrade ( US, UK only) 486 Mbytes
Far Cry does not require a CD in the drive after the patch... The
patch will run on Intel EM64T systems too... if you are lucky
enough to have one....

2. Enhanced graphics and added content ( inc 2 new MP levels) , only
for the 64-bit version at present -- no reason why it could not
be recompiled for the 32-bit version....It probably will after an
"64-bit exclusive" period of time. ( 422 Mbytes )

The graphical enhancements look great............significant
improvement in detail and the (already-great) draw distances, for
example.

John Lewis

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42:05 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/cckza (link to AMD site)
>
>Drool, slobber, etc.

Some additional comments following my previous posting:-

Very little performance improvement with the move to 64-bit. Not
surprising with a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion of an existing game.
Better to put optimizing effort into future development, particularly
with dual-core just around the corner.

I would love to see a version of Far Cry recompiled for AMD64 2X
4400+, or 4800+ dual core, with Crytek throwing all of their
intelligent-AI ideas, (including any currently impractical due to
their CPU-cycle consumption dragging down the frame-rate ) at the
second core. Dual-core will be the key-enabler for truly-smart
open-space AI in single-player games, with the AI threaded to take
priority advantage of the parallel-computation capability.

John Lewis

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:56:48 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>Some additional comments following my previous posting:-
>
>Very little performance improvement with the move to 64-bit. Not
>surprising with a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion of an existing game.
>Better to put optimizing effort into future development, particularly
>with dual-core just around the corner.
>
>I would love to see a version of Far Cry recompiled for AMD64 2X
>4400+, or 4800+ dual core, with Crytek throwing all of their
>intelligent-AI ideas, (including any currently impractical due to
>their CPU-cycle consumption dragging down the frame-rate ) at the
>second core. Dual-core will be the key-enabler for truly-smart
>open-space AI in single-player games, with the AI threaded to take
>priority advantage of the parallel-computation capability.
>
>John Lewis

HardOCP just did an article on running 32bit v 64bit and the game
Chronicles of Riddick comes with a 64bit executable already but there
was no performance to be gained by using it.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"Codex" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:56:48 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>

>>Some additional comments following my previous posting:-
>>
>>Very little performance improvement with the move to 64-bit. Not
>>surprising with a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion of an existing game.
>>Better to put optimizing effort into future development, particularly
>>with dual-core just around the corner.
>>
>>I would love to see a version of Far Cry recompiled for AMD64 2X
>>4400+, or 4800+ dual core, with Crytek throwing all of their
>>intelligent-AI ideas, (including any currently impractical due to
>>their CPU-cycle consumption dragging down the frame-rate ) at the
>>second core. Dual-core will be the key-enabler for truly-smart
>>open-space AI in single-player games, with the AI threaded to take
>>priority advantage of the parallel-computation capability.
>>
>>John Lewis
>
> HardOCP just did an article on running 32bit v 64bit and the game
> Chronicles of Riddick comes with a 64bit executable already but there
> was no performance to be gained by using it.

AnandTech said they saw the same thing, too.

Gee, who would've figured a simplistic console shooter like Riddick wouldn't
gain w/a 64-bit executable? Clue: if the game was coded to work on a f'in
console how do you figure it's going to be CPU limited on multi-gigahertz
PC's, duh.

--
Remove nospam to email

On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:32:36 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

>And at a very reasonable price from launch. Among other things, it's the
>non-linearism aspect. To some extent, the more you care about
>non-linearism, the more you'll like Far Cry relative to other games.

FarCry isn't a good example of non-linearism. While it is better than some
other games (by providing alternate paths in some maps), it is still linear
where you need to do objectives with limited deviation.

Deus Ex: Invisible War is a better example - while primary objectived must
be fufilled in a specific order, there's more obvious variation in how the
game can play out (even if there isn't much of a replayability and/or
quality factor.)

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:32:36 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>

> >And at a very reasonable price from launch. Among other things, it's the
> >non-linearism aspect. To some extent, the more you care about
> >non-linearism, the more you'll like Far Cry relative to other games.
> >

> FarCry isn't a good example of non-linearism. While it is better than
some
> other games (by providing alternate paths in some maps), it is still
linear
> where you need to do objectives with limited deviation.

Relative to what's out there I really do think it's much less linear.
Compare it to D3 or HL2 or any of the WWII FPS games. It's non-linear in
that you can often literally take different paths to your objective, but
mostly isn't non-linear in that you have several choices on how to approach
your objective. Hopefully a few years from now it will seem linear compared
to what's out on the market, but for right now, compared to what's out
there...

> Deus Ex: Invisible War is a better example - while primary objectived must
> be fufilled in a specific order, there's more obvious variation in how the
> game can play out (even if there isn't much of a replayability and/or
> quality factor.)

I agree that Deus Ex was also non-linear but in a little different way. The
Hitman series, espeically the newer titles, are also good examples of
non-linear play with GTA3 being perhaps the most mentioned example.

John,

In a nutshell for those of us too lazy to check the links and get into the
techincal AI and processing stuff, what can we actually expect from the
amped up AI in real gaming terms?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:25:25 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
wrote:

>Gee, who would've figured a simplistic console shooter like Riddick wouldn't
>gain w/a 64-bit executable? Clue: if the game was coded to work on a f'in
>console how do you figure it's going to be CPU limited on multi-gigahertz
>PC's, duh.

You think you're real bright, huh? Go back to jacking off on your
mommie's panties. It's not what you say, it's how you say it dick
cheese.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:39:40 -0700, Codex <no@email.here> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:56:48 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>

>>Some additional comments following my previous posting:-
>>
>>Very little performance improvement with the move to 64-bit. Not
>>surprising with a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion of an existing game.
>>Better to put optimizing effort into future development, particularly
>>with dual-core just around the corner.
>>
>>I would love to see a version of Far Cry recompiled for AMD64 2X
>>4400+, or 4800+ dual core, with Crytek throwing all of their
>>intelligent-AI ideas, (including any currently impractical due to
>>their CPU-cycle consumption dragging down the frame-rate ) at the
>>second core. Dual-core will be the key-enabler for truly-smart
>>open-space AI in single-player games, with the AI threaded to take
>>priority advantage of the parallel-computation capability.
>>
>>John Lewis
>
>HardOCP just did an article on running 32bit v 64bit and the game
>Chronicles of Riddick comes with a 64bit executable already but there
>was no performance to be gained by using it.

True, the Anandtech article echoed HardOCP's findings. Again
the 64-bit compile of CoR was probably not optimized to take full
advantage of the CPU architectural changes in the AMD 64.

Dual (or multi-) core with multi-threading is where the real future of

3D gaming lies....regardless of bit-width.

John Lewis

Cant really see the point from a gamers, rather than some marketing persons,
point of view .....
Where (if anywhere-ever) is FARCRY 2 ????
luv mouse
@@@@

Mother Farquhar wrote:
> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42:05 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
>><fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>http://tinyurl.com/cckza (link to AMD site)
>>>
>>>Drool, slobber, etc.
>>
>>Does 64bit make it fun?
>

> Don't know, but it was fun to begin with.

oo oo me me. Dang. I've said it all before.

the only game that amazed with gfx but totally failed to engross me. A
real snore fest.

even Unreal 2 had more going for it. And that *really* disappointed me
compared to its forerunner.

Werner Spahl wrote:

> I hope they do some Jurassic Park games with the Far Cry engine, as
in
> their first demo. After all the enemies in Far Cry were boring
humanoids
> like in HL2 all over. But image huge dinosaurs in such an
environment!
> Their AI should be possible to do with single processors as well
;)...

I've seen screenshots a mod with a shark in it. Looked quite good,
although it was only a couple of stills.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:31:09 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

>John,
>
>In a nutshell for those of us too lazy to check the links and get into the
>techincal AI and processing stuff, what can we actually expect from the
>amped up AI in real gaming terms?

Bots that behave a lot more like real players. "Intelligent-agent AI"
is one of the terms used. Each individual bot is
algorithmically-endowed with the capability of sensing and
appropriately reacting to its environment and the actions of live
players or other bots. Group behavior can be superimposed. Far Cry
uses this technology. The action-adventure game "Outcast" (1999) was
the first PC game to employ it. I believe that UT2004 also uses a
variant. Scripted-AI (where the bots behave in accordance with a
strict set of rules set by the programmers and are not endowed with
any individual decision-making) breaks down in wide-open spaces, or if
the live player acts in a way not expected by the programmers. In the
original Splinter-Cell, at one point early in the game the live player
can throw a tin-can loudly down a set of stairs in a
perfectly-legitimate attempt to distract the bots and sneak past a
certain point - doesn't work, the bots all suffer momentary total
deafness with ZERO reaction to the clatter of the can, because the SC
programmers apparently never expected the player to try that trick. If
Splinter-Cell had "Intelligent-agent" AI, one or more of the bots
would have investigated the noise, while others might continue to be
on their guard at a higher level of alertness...

The penalty for intelligent-AI is significant CPU compute-cycles
to execute the appropriate algorithms. Hence, the benefit of
the dual-core CPUs.

John Lewis

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:42:05 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
>> <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > http://tinyurl.com/cckza (link to AMD site)
>> >
>> >Drool, slobber, etc.
>> >

>> Some additional comments following my previous posting:-
>>
>> Very little performance improvement with the move to 64-bit. Not
>> surprising with a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion of an existing game.
>> Better to put optimizing effort into future development, particularly
>> with dual-core just around the corner.
>>
>> I would love to see a version of Far Cry recompiled for AMD64 2X
>> 4400+, or 4800+ dual core, with Crytek throwing all of their
>> intelligent-AI ideas, (including any currently impractical due to
>> their CPU-cycle consumption dragging down the frame-rate ) at the
>> second core. Dual-core will be the key-enabler for truly-smart
>> open-space AI in single-player games, with the AI threaded to take
>> priority advantage of the parallel-computation capability.
>>
>> John Lewis

On Wed, 11 May 2005 03:45:34 +0100, "trimble bracegirdle"
<newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote:

>Cant really see the point from a gamers, rather than some marketing persons,
>point of view .....
>Where (if anywhere-ever) is FARCRY 2 ????

Crytek signed a development agreement with EA around the middle of
last year for a new family of action-games. Neither party is saying
anything at present . If the joint-development arrangement is as
successful as that between EA and DICE ( Battlefield series ), the
future should be very interesting. However, a game with the name
Far Cry 2 is unlikely, as I believe that the EA agreement replaced
Crytek's contract with Ubisoft. However, since EA has some interest
in acquiring Ubisoft..........

John Lewis

>luv mouse
>@@@@

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote

> Does 64bit make it fun?

Obviously not, I was more referring to the GFX enhancements to an already
stunning looking game. Which of course means zip in gameplay terms.

Toby

On 2005-05-11, John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 03:45:34 +0100, "trimble bracegirdle"
><newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote:
>
>>Cant really see the point from a gamers, rather than some marketing persons,
>>point of view .....
>>Where (if anywhere-ever) is FARCRY 2 ????
>
> Crytek signed a development agreement with EA around the middle of
> last year for a new family of action-games. Neither party is saying
> anything at present . If the joint-development arrangement is as
> successful as that between EA and DICE ( Battlefield series ), the
> future should be very interesting. However, a game with the name
> Far Cry 2 is unlikely, as I believe that the EA agreement replaced
> Crytek's contract with Ubisoft. However, since EA has some interest
> in acquiring Ubisoft..........

So the next Far Cry is going to be based on the tropical island of Ibiza
with big-name licenced DJs, and instead of infiltrating island bases
using stealth and assault, players will be able to earn "SMG-Skill-Pointz"
and buy new hawaii shirts to customise their marine.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

Whatever you do just don't start crying.

--
Remove nospam to email

John Lewis wrote:

> True, the Anandtech article echoed HardOCP's findings. Again
> the 64-bit compile of CoR was probably not optimized to take full
> advantage of the CPU architectural changes in the AMD 64.

where do you see 64 bit handling giving any performance increase in a
game that is simply recompiled for a new CPU?

Assuming fixed point arithmetic algorithms are recoded so that 2 32 bit
calcs are done in a single register operation in the core engine then
there will be improvements - until then, I expct nothing.

John Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:31:09 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>

>>John,
>>
>>In a nutshell for those of us too lazy to check the links and get into the
>>techincal AI and processing stuff, what can we actually expect from the
>>amped up AI in real gaming terms?
>>

> Bots that behave a lot more like real players. "Intelligent-agent AI"
> is one of the terms used. Each individual bot is
> algorithmically-endowed with the capability of sensing and
> appropriately reacting to its environment and the actions of live
> players or other bots.

<snip high brow posturing following a good laugh>

What "technology"? You have spouted a load of "nice to haves" and have
backed it up with .... nadda. You don't need a PhD in advanced bullshit
to see that anyone with an ounce of sense could come up with that rubbish.

Far Cry AI is not better than any other game : regardless of what you
say. The proof is in the pudding and I have played the damn game.