Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
What company would you guys prefer to purchase a raid card from?

Well I know there is no perfect stripe size but what would you recommend for a RAID 0 setup?
I mainly watch movies and play a whole lot of games. Also like to browse the web and online chatting.

thx

If you keep regular backups of your data RAID 0, Promise card.

If you're after security, get a mobo with onboard RAID 0+1 and go for that.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Well, I like highpoint because you can have larger stripe sizes. But thats my opinion.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Well I doubt I'd keep regular backups of RAID 0. Though I'm not sure what the chances really are of losing a drive.

Not after security either. More into performance wise. Such as gettings games to load up faster like Quake or Warcraft III.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Alright. Well I was browsing the net and saw a comparison between Promise and HighPoint. They were comparing 2 4-Channel ATA RAID cards. I belive it's at the bottom of this page <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_raid0_ata133/ " target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_raid0_ata133/ </A>

but I'm not quite sure if those features are important.

So should I use a larger stripe size then if I'm more of a gamer?

Beefster

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I'd appreciate a bit of help whilst your on the subject, you guys seem to know a bit about RAID, whilst I am a very experienced techie and have done the job for a living for a long long time (13 years last I checked) I've never really had the time to look into RAID, I'd appreciate it if you could either summarize how to go about getting good performance out of a RAID setup (Highpoint controller card and 2 x ATA133 60GB HDD's), how would you go about setting it up, would you use striping and more to the point what is striping???

My apologies for the tall order here, I understand it isn't a quick subject to summarise, if it is a bit much to ask then I'd be pretty content if you were able to point me in the right direction towards some information regarding this.

Thanks.

Beefster

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Ok, I've just noticed the IDE guide on the THG frontpage, apologies for my oversight, I'd still appreciate some info and possibly any thing that the guide doesn't cover (I haven't read it yet).

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Well data striping to my understanding is distributing data on to multiple disks while the multiple disks appear to be combined on a single large disk..

If you are doing a RAID 0 your basically stripping with no redundancy.. And basically you will increase the read and write performance in a RAID setup though you won't get double the performance but better performance depending on what types of applications and programs you run on your computer.