Gaming PCs the 'last bastions' of profit

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Gaming
  • PCS
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 12, 2005 9:11:01 PM

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050512/175/finrv.html

More about : gaming pcs bastions profit

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 13, 2005 12:46:42 AM

Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

>http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050512/175/finrv.html

Atwal is right - it's a niche market. Although nVidia is right too -
this niche market is bigger than everyone thinks, because of rampant
piracy skewing sales figures of software. The statement that nVidia
had sold "600 000 high-end systems" (whatever that means) in europe
was interesting.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 13, 2005 4:14:03 AM

x-no-archive: yes

thanks for the link
at least for that you are useful

it's very good nvidia earning money with the pc cause
they deserved it 100% and have been doing a great job
elevating pc games

i knew all along scum pirates have high end pc hardware
they pay big bucks for hardware but they steal software
and why? cause they can't steal hardware but software
they can
so the issue is not money but instead bad character and
illegal activities

for me one way to deal with this is hardware manufactures
putting money directly to software developers

i've defended in the past in this group all graphic cards
being sold with a pack of pc games, at least 10 and this
would be mandatory... you pay for a graphic card you pay
for pc games

also those nvidia logos appearing at the beginning of each
game "the way its meant to be played" its good and helps
developers, so more hardware manufactures should do it

at the end its extremely sad knowing someone has payed at
least 3,000 for a pc but refuses to pay 30 for each game

fighting piracy is key to pc game survival and we must all
do it cause its in every pc gamer interest stopping it

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Would I be correct in assuming that most enthusiasts after high end
computers would build it themselves or at least contract out someone
who can spec out the right system for them?

T.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 18, 2005 12:53:39 AM

> i knew all along scum pirates have high end pc hardware
> they pay big bucks for hardware but they steal software
> and why? cause they can't steal hardware but software
> they can
> so the issue is not money but instead bad character and
> illegal activities

So in your retarded little dreamland, anyone with a "high end" PC is now
classified "scum pirate" ?
Wibble.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 18, 2005 6:00:16 AM

x-no-archive: yes

nvidia and ati are having record sales!
pc game publishers are having declining sales!
now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
FIGHT PIRACY!
BUY PC GAMES!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 18, 2005 2:32:14 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>nvidia and ati are having record sales!
>pc game publishers are having declining sales!
>now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
>PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
>FIGHT PIRACY!
>BUY PC GAMES!

I have bought a lot of PC Games lately, I always shop smart though. I
buy the generic games instead of the big brands. Much like with
medicine, if you buy the generic games you can get the same game
overall but save a lot of money. Sometimes you find these in alleys
on little tables, the companies making generic games are very small
and it can be difficult to find them in the US. I hear in places like
Hong Kong it is super easy to find generic games. You do give up a
little as usually the generics are on CD-R and come with photo-copied
instructions or none at all, but it is so much cheaper! Buy games,
but buy generic! Don't let the big companies price-gouge you!
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2005 1:53:01 AM

Quoth The Raven "steamKILLER"<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> in
1116406816.827857.151030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> nvidia and ati are having record sales!
> pc game publishers are having declining sales!
> now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
> PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
> FIGHT PIRACY!
> BUY PC GAMES!

ironically, the best way to fight piracy is to use steam-like distribution
programs.

--
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
May 19, 2005 1:53:02 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:53:01 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "steamKILLER"<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> in
>1116406816.827857.151030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
>> x-no-archive: yes
>>
>> nvidia and ati are having record sales!
>> pc game publishers are having declining sales!
>> now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
>> PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
Well that may be obvious to you.

But maybe people are sick and tired of half baked games and waiting
months for them to be patched to working condition.

Maybe these same people just wait or these lame half baked titles to
fall into the discount bin?

Maybe PC users are sick of lame copy protection that does nothing but
inconvenience legit users and does nothing to stop piracy?

>> FIGHT PIRACY!
>> BUY PC GAMES!
>
>ironically, the best way to fight piracy is to use steam-like distribution
>programs.

How do you figure. Hl2 was cracked 2 days after release.
May 19, 2005 1:53:02 AM

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message

> The "best" way to fight piracy is to make people want to buy the
> product.
> Release it FINISHED, at an affordable price, and treat the customers
> right.

That must be why films, apps and music never get pirated eh? Pirates will
always pirate unless some form of physical protection prevents them.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2005 1:53:03 AM

Thusly "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> Spake Unto All:

>> The "best" way to fight piracy is to make people want to buy the
>> product.
>> Release it FINISHED, at an affordable price, and treat the customers
>> right.
>>

>That must be why films, apps and music never get pirated eh? Pirates will
>always pirate unless some form of physical protection prevents them.

Complete agreement.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 19, 2005 6:48:41 PM

Thusly me@aol.net Spake Unto All:

>anyway's. What you need to ask is why are all the legit honest paying
>PC consumers leaving the PC platform?

Initial cost. Just initial cost.

Because the vast bulk of legit honest paying gamers are kids whose
parents buy the rig and games for them, and the parents are much
happier buying a $300 console and a $45 game every now and then than a
$2000 PC and a $35 game every now and then.
Then the developers, and hence the games, follow the bulk of honest
paying gamers, and finally the adult honest paying gamers follow the
games. That's where we are today.
May 20, 2005 7:12:43 AM

> The music companies jacked the prices up when they moved to CD format
> and kept those prices high even after CDs were the common format.
>
> Movies prices have steadily increased.

As has the price of everything else - fuel food etc. If I dont like how
expensive they are is it OK to steal those too then?

> The average person however isn't going to pirate until he's getting
> regularly ripped off.

Bullshit. D3 was the most pirated game ever - how many times did ID rip
folk off? I know folk that d-loaded D3 in the UK just because they wanted
the game so badly and it was released in the US first - they just couldnt
wait. When it was released in the UK most bought a copy.

Your argument that folk steal stuff because it doesnt work properly is
ridiculous

Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming acceptable
among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy anything when its
freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I tell them its stealing and
block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 20, 2005 9:56:32 PM

Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
1116554838.19583.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net
> Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming
> acceptable among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy
> anything when its freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I
> tell them its stealing and block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.

most games I do buy, ones I cant wait for and are worth the purchase. other
games I will download if I can wait for the 1 month download time on dialup
and am only curious about to look at it. mostly I like to show off the
cultish games on my bookshelf in original covers so I'll buy them

--
Life does not need to be perfect to be wonderful.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
May 20, 2005 9:56:33 PM

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
> 1116554838.19583.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net
>> Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming
>> acceptable among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy
>> anything when its freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I
>> tell them its stealing and block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.
>
> most games I do buy, ones I cant wait for and are worth the purchase.
> other games I will download if I can wait for the 1 month download time on
> dialup and am only curious about to look at it. mostly I like to show off
> the cultish games on my bookshelf in original covers so I'll buy them

So you're not downloading them because they are buggy, unfinished beta's
which seems to be Xocyll's opinion but rather 'try before you buy' or 'try
to see if you want to buy'?

I still believe that making a game more desirable (i.e. not buggy, not beta,
finished, polished, good gameplay) will increase piracy attempts and only
some physical means will stop folk. The fact that there isn't any
successful means yet is beside the point.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2005 3:27:56 AM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip bile>

Stop attacking generic games! They are a wonderful alternative for
those who are not rich like you claim to be. Generic games exist for
a reason - so people with limited funds can still enjoy great PC games
without pirating them. How dare you compare generic versions of games
to piracy! Piracy requires you to download the games, for Pete's
sake! Generic games come on actual CDs and you have to purchase them
through dealers who specialize in selling generic games. You are a
very bad person and clearly hate poor people. Shame on you! If you
get sick I hope you are not allowed to buy any generic drugs!
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2005 3:32:25 AM

x-no-archive: yes

the happy turtle wrote:

so you return again...

> Stop attacking generic games! They are a wonderful

i'll attack everything that damages pc games!
piracy is extremely damaging to pc games!

as for what you call "generic" games, seriously i don't
know what you are talking about and never ever heard that
expression before...
in pc games there are no "generic" versions!
like i told you before this is not the drug market!
and also there is no such thing as "bootlegs" in pc games
those are pirated versions
"bootlegs" are music specific and pc games don't have them

> alternative for those who are not rich like you claim to

mister there is no alternative except buying pc games!
buying a legit version!
don't find excuses for criminal behavior!

> be. Generic games exist for a reason - so people with
> limited funds can still enjoy great PC games without
> pirating them. How dare you compare generic versions of
> games to piracy! Piracy requires you to download the
> games, for Pete's sake! Generic games come on actual CDs
> and you have to purchase them through dealers who

ok... i now see your motives are good but you are ignorant
and need some info
i'm here to help and its obvious you need to be helped

first there is no "generic" versions in pc games!
second there are specialized budged publishers that release
older titles at very low prices but are those what you are
talking about?
third please describe in total detail the packaging of what
you call "generic" pc game ok?

> specialize in selling generic games. You are a very bad
> person and clearly hate poor people. Shame on you! If you
> get sick I hope you are not allowed to buy any generic
> drugs!

again you don't know me which is normal
i've been defending since the beginning pc games be always a
very democratic, popular and affordable entertainment
pc games for me have to be accessible to everyone!
i've been defend measures to not make pc games more expensive
i'm against steam and one reason is cause with steam you will
pay more
i'm against mmo type pc games cause they force pc gamers into
paying monthly fees so again i also fight against it
i defend the retail market cause its the best when it comes to
pricing and finding bargains and discounts
i defend single-player pc games cause they are the best when
in comes to price
i defend the package box in pc games cause its the most cheap
way to distribute store and collect
i defend developers shouldn't code pc games for the latest and
the fastest hardware but instead for hardware at least 4 years
old
i defend pc game titles being sold with prices not higher than
30 bucks at release and after one year being below the 10 bucks
range
i defend graphic card makers like ati and nvidia should try and
lower more the price of their graphic cards cause they are too
expensive

now will you still say i'm not sensible to the issue of price in
pc games?
i'm extremely price sensitive when it comes to pc games
i almost never buy pc games at release cause i can't afford them
the majority of titles i have are from specialized third party
budged publishers like sold-out or xplosiv

now for me to help you and like i asked you before
please describe with total detail the package of those pc games
you call "generic" that you have bought
describe the box, the manual, the media, describe everything and
if you could take a picture of them and show us it would be just
perfect
this way we can find out for sure what are you talking about and
if they are legit products or pirated counterfeiting ones

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 22, 2005 1:51:51 AM

Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
1116640450.19336.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net
> "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
>> 1116554838.19583.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net
>>> Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming
>>> acceptable among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy
>>> anything when its freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I
>>> tell them its stealing and block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.
>>
>> most games I do buy, ones I cant wait for and are worth the purchase.
>> other games I will download if I can wait for the 1 month download
>> time on dialup and am only curious about to look at it. mostly I
>> like to show off the cultish games on my bookshelf in original
>> covers so I'll buy them
>
> So you're not downloading them because they are buggy, unfinished
> beta's which seems to be Xocyll's opinion but rather 'try before you
> buy' or 'try to see if you want to buy'?
>
> I still believe that making a game more desirable (i.e. not buggy,
> not beta, finished, polished, good gameplay) will increase piracy
> attempts and only some physical means will stop folk. The fact that
> there isn't any successful means yet is beside the point.

some games take more than 6 months to dl that I get sick of them in the
queue and just delete them, therefore if I am impatient for the game, I buy
it instead. so it depends on the popularity of it for me to buy, if it is in
the high 90's out one hundred, it is purchased as a must have. if it is a
curiosity in the 80's, I'll dl it. (however most of the time I never bother
completing the dl)

--
Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't
mean it's useless. - Thomas Edison

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2005 10:24:11 AM

stePH wrote:
> Jesse <1@2.com> wrote in
>
> > Debate is fine - Try sticking somewhere near the bounds of reality
> > though.
>
> Remember who you're talking to.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I took a brief look, and saw it was
SayNO free, so I thought it might be interesting.

Instead it's a long stream of people trying to explan how the real
world works. Fortunately most of them have quoted, because otherwise
the thread is completely nonsensical - SayNO's posts are not archived.
But even then, it's bloody hard to follow the trail with his bits
missing. You can't see who he was responding to because he can't quote
properly.

Ah well... it'll all be over by Christmas.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2005 9:06:28 AM

stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote in news:429c6359_1@x-privat.org:

> Jesse <1@2.com> wrote in
>
>> Debate is fine - Try sticking somewhere near the bounds of reality
>> though.
>
> Remember who you're talking to.
>

> stePH

I had no idea I was addressing the group buffoon - Don't come here too often.
!