Gaming PCs the 'last bastions' of profit

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050512/175/finrv.html
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
19 answers Last reply
More about gaming last bastions profit
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

    >http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050512/175/finrv.html

    Atwal is right - it's a niche market. Although nVidia is right too -
    this niche market is bigger than everyone thinks, because of rampant
    piracy skewing sales figures of software. The statement that nVidia
    had sold "600 000 high-end systems" (whatever that means) in europe
    was interesting.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    thanks for the link
    at least for that you are useful

    it's very good nvidia earning money with the pc cause
    they deserved it 100% and have been doing a great job
    elevating pc games

    i knew all along scum pirates have high end pc hardware
    they pay big bucks for hardware but they steal software
    and why? cause they can't steal hardware but software
    they can
    so the issue is not money but instead bad character and
    illegal activities

    for me one way to deal with this is hardware manufactures
    putting money directly to software developers

    i've defended in the past in this group all graphic cards
    being sold with a pack of pc games, at least 10 and this
    would be mandatory... you pay for a graphic card you pay
    for pc games

    also those nvidia logos appearing at the beginning of each
    game "the way its meant to be played" its good and helps
    developers, so more hardware manufactures should do it

    at the end its extremely sad knowing someone has payed at
    least 3,000 for a pc but refuses to pay 30 for each game

    fighting piracy is key to pc game survival and we must all
    do it cause its in every pc gamer interest stopping it

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Would I be correct in assuming that most enthusiasts after high end
    computers would build it themselves or at least contract out someone
    who can spec out the right system for them?

    T.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > i knew all along scum pirates have high end pc hardware
    > they pay big bucks for hardware but they steal software
    > and why? cause they can't steal hardware but software
    > they can
    > so the issue is not money but instead bad character and
    > illegal activities

    So in your retarded little dreamland, anyone with a "high end" PC is now
    classified "scum pirate" ?
    Wibble.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    nvidia and ati are having record sales!
    pc game publishers are having declining sales!
    now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
    PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
    FIGHT PIRACY!
    BUY PC GAMES!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >nvidia and ati are having record sales!
    >pc game publishers are having declining sales!
    >now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
    >PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
    >FIGHT PIRACY!
    >BUY PC GAMES!

    I have bought a lot of PC Games lately, I always shop smart though. I
    buy the generic games instead of the big brands. Much like with
    medicine, if you buy the generic games you can get the same game
    overall but save a lot of money. Sometimes you find these in alleys
    on little tables, the companies making generic games are very small
    and it can be difficult to find them in the US. I hear in places like
    Hong Kong it is super easy to find generic games. You do give up a
    little as usually the generics are on CD-R and come with photo-copied
    instructions or none at all, but it is so much cheaper! Buy games,
    but buy generic! Don't let the big companies price-gouge you!
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven "steamKILLER"<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> in
    1116406816.827857.151030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > nvidia and ati are having record sales!
    > pc game publishers are having declining sales!
    > now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
    > PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
    > FIGHT PIRACY!
    > BUY PC GAMES!

    ironically, the best way to fight piracy is to use steam-like distribution
    programs.

    --
    Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:53:01 +1000, "Highlandish"
    <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

    >Quoth The Raven "steamKILLER"<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> in
    >1116406816.827857.151030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> nvidia and ati are having record sales!
    >> pc game publishers are having declining sales!
    >> now please tell me wise guy what is the obvious conclusion?
    >> PIRACY IS DAMAGING PC GAMES!
    Well that may be obvious to you.

    But maybe people are sick and tired of half baked games and waiting
    months for them to be patched to working condition.

    Maybe these same people just wait or these lame half baked titles to
    fall into the discount bin?

    Maybe PC users are sick of lame copy protection that does nothing but
    inconvenience legit users and does nothing to stop piracy?

    >> FIGHT PIRACY!
    >> BUY PC GAMES!
    >
    >ironically, the best way to fight piracy is to use steam-like distribution
    >programs.

    How do you figure. Hl2 was cracked 2 days after release.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    news:6gfm8155ptd48eisij6m7u83bagpk5kmr6@4ax.com...
    >
    > The "best" way to fight piracy is to make people want to buy the
    > product.
    > Release it FINISHED, at an affordable price, and treat the customers
    > right.
    >

    That must be why films, apps and music never get pirated eh? Pirates will
    always pirate unless some form of physical protection prevents them.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> Spake Unto All:

    >> The "best" way to fight piracy is to make people want to buy the
    >> product.
    >> Release it FINISHED, at an affordable price, and treat the customers
    >> right.
    >>
    >
    >That must be why films, apps and music never get pirated eh? Pirates will
    >always pirate unless some form of physical protection prevents them.

    Complete agreement.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly me@aol.net Spake Unto All:

    >anyway's. What you need to ask is why are all the legit honest paying
    >PC consumers leaving the PC platform?

    Initial cost. Just initial cost.

    Because the vast bulk of legit honest paying gamers are kids whose
    parents buy the rig and games for them, and the parents are much
    happier buying a $300 console and a $45 game every now and then than a
    $2000 PC and a $35 game every now and then.
    Then the developers, and hence the games, follow the bulk of honest
    paying gamers, and finally the adult honest paying gamers follow the
    games. That's where we are today.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    news:fbip81tdcle53pkde6e6li5s7n57jf32i8@4ax.com...
    >
    > The music companies jacked the prices up when they moved to CD format
    > and kept those prices high even after CDs were the common format.
    >
    > Movies prices have steadily increased.

    As has the price of everything else - fuel food etc. If I dont like how
    expensive they are is it OK to steal those too then?

    > The average person however isn't going to pirate until he's getting
    > regularly ripped off.

    Bullshit. D3 was the most pirated game ever - how many times did ID rip
    folk off? I know folk that d-loaded D3 in the UK just because they wanted
    the game so badly and it was released in the US first - they just couldnt
    wait. When it was released in the UK most bought a copy.

    Your argument that folk steal stuff because it doesnt work properly is
    ridiculous

    Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming acceptable
    among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy anything when its
    freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I tell them its stealing and
    block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
    1116554838.19583.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net
    > Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming
    > acceptable among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy
    > anything when its freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I
    > tell them its stealing and block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.

    most games I do buy, ones I cant wait for and are worth the purchase. other
    games I will download if I can wait for the 1 month download time on dialup
    and am only curious about to look at it. mostly I like to show off the
    cultish games on my bookshelf in original covers so I'll buy them

    --
    Life does not need to be perfect to be wonderful.

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    news:428dce20_2@x-privat.org...
    > Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
    > 1116554838.19583.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net
    >> Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming
    >> acceptable among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy
    >> anything when its freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I
    >> tell them its stealing and block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.
    >
    > most games I do buy, ones I cant wait for and are worth the purchase.
    > other games I will download if I can wait for the 1 month download time on
    > dialup and am only curious about to look at it. mostly I like to show off
    > the cultish games on my bookshelf in original covers so I'll buy them
    >

    So you're not downloading them because they are buggy, unfinished beta's
    which seems to be Xocyll's opinion but rather 'try before you buy' or 'try
    to see if you want to buy'?

    I still believe that making a game more desirable (i.e. not buggy, not beta,
    finished, polished, good gameplay) will increase piracy attempts and only
    some physical means will stop folk. The fact that there isn't any
    successful means yet is beside the point.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    <snip bile>

    Stop attacking generic games! They are a wonderful alternative for
    those who are not rich like you claim to be. Generic games exist for
    a reason - so people with limited funds can still enjoy great PC games
    without pirating them. How dare you compare generic versions of games
    to piracy! Piracy requires you to download the games, for Pete's
    sake! Generic games come on actual CDs and you have to purchase them
    through dealers who specialize in selling generic games. You are a
    very bad person and clearly hate poor people. Shame on you! If you
    get sick I hope you are not allowed to buy any generic drugs!
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    the happy turtle wrote:

    so you return again...

    > Stop attacking generic games! They are a wonderful

    i'll attack everything that damages pc games!
    piracy is extremely damaging to pc games!

    as for what you call "generic" games, seriously i don't
    know what you are talking about and never ever heard that
    expression before...
    in pc games there are no "generic" versions!
    like i told you before this is not the drug market!
    and also there is no such thing as "bootlegs" in pc games
    those are pirated versions
    "bootlegs" are music specific and pc games don't have them

    > alternative for those who are not rich like you claim to

    mister there is no alternative except buying pc games!
    buying a legit version!
    don't find excuses for criminal behavior!

    > be. Generic games exist for a reason - so people with
    > limited funds can still enjoy great PC games without
    > pirating them. How dare you compare generic versions of
    > games to piracy! Piracy requires you to download the
    > games, for Pete's sake! Generic games come on actual CDs
    > and you have to purchase them through dealers who

    ok... i now see your motives are good but you are ignorant
    and need some info
    i'm here to help and its obvious you need to be helped

    first there is no "generic" versions in pc games!
    second there are specialized budged publishers that release
    older titles at very low prices but are those what you are
    talking about?
    third please describe in total detail the packaging of what
    you call "generic" pc game ok?

    > specialize in selling generic games. You are a very bad
    > person and clearly hate poor people. Shame on you! If you
    > get sick I hope you are not allowed to buy any generic
    > drugs!

    again you don't know me which is normal
    i've been defending since the beginning pc games be always a
    very democratic, popular and affordable entertainment
    pc games for me have to be accessible to everyone!
    i've been defend measures to not make pc games more expensive
    i'm against steam and one reason is cause with steam you will
    pay more
    i'm against mmo type pc games cause they force pc gamers into
    paying monthly fees so again i also fight against it
    i defend the retail market cause its the best when it comes to
    pricing and finding bargains and discounts
    i defend single-player pc games cause they are the best when
    in comes to price
    i defend the package box in pc games cause its the most cheap
    way to distribute store and collect
    i defend developers shouldn't code pc games for the latest and
    the fastest hardware but instead for hardware at least 4 years
    old
    i defend pc game titles being sold with prices not higher than
    30 bucks at release and after one year being below the 10 bucks
    range
    i defend graphic card makers like ati and nvidia should try and
    lower more the price of their graphic cards cause they are too
    expensive

    now will you still say i'm not sensible to the issue of price in
    pc games?
    i'm extremely price sensitive when it comes to pc games
    i almost never buy pc games at release cause i can't afford them
    the majority of titles i have are from specialized third party
    budged publishers like sold-out or xplosiv

    now for me to help you and like i asked you before
    please describe with total detail the package of those pc games
    you call "generic" that you have bought
    describe the box, the manual, the media, describe everything and
    if you could take a picture of them and show us it would be just
    perfect
    this way we can find out for sure what are you talking about and
    if they are legit products or pirated counterfeiting ones

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
    1116640450.19336.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net
    > "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:428dce20_2@x-privat.org...
    >> Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
    >> 1116554838.19583.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net
    >>> Pirating is growing because it is easy and because it's becoming
    >>> acceptable among the youth. My teenagers cant understand why I buy
    >>> anything when its freely available online. I'm 'outdated' when I
    >>> tell them its stealing and block the ports they need for Kazaa etc.
    >>
    >> most games I do buy, ones I cant wait for and are worth the purchase.
    >> other games I will download if I can wait for the 1 month download
    >> time on dialup and am only curious about to look at it. mostly I
    >> like to show off the cultish games on my bookshelf in original
    >> covers so I'll buy them
    >
    > So you're not downloading them because they are buggy, unfinished
    > beta's which seems to be Xocyll's opinion but rather 'try before you
    > buy' or 'try to see if you want to buy'?
    >
    > I still believe that making a game more desirable (i.e. not buggy,
    > not beta, finished, polished, good gameplay) will increase piracy
    > attempts and only some physical means will stop folk. The fact that
    > there isn't any successful means yet is beside the point.

    some games take more than 6 months to dl that I get sick of them in the
    queue and just delete them, therefore if I am impatient for the game, I buy
    it instead. so it depends on the popularity of it for me to buy, if it is in
    the high 90's out one hundred, it is purchased as a must have. if it is a
    curiosity in the 80's, I'll dl it. (however most of the time I never bother
    completing the dl)

    --
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't
    mean it's useless. - Thomas Edison

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    stePH wrote:
    > Jesse <1@2.com> wrote in
    > news:Xns96641232880E3ewrfdgrstnet@140.99.99.130:
    >
    > > Debate is fine - Try sticking somewhere near the bounds of reality
    > > though.
    >
    > Remember who you're talking to.


    Thanks for bumping this thread. I took a brief look, and saw it was
    SayNO free, so I thought it might be interesting.

    Instead it's a long stream of people trying to explan how the real
    world works. Fortunately most of them have quoted, because otherwise
    the thread is completely nonsensical - SayNO's posts are not archived.
    But even then, it's bloody hard to follow the trail with his bits
    missing. You can't see who he was responding to because he can't quote
    properly.

    Ah well... it'll all be over by Christmas.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote in news:429c6359_1@x-privat.org:

    > Jesse <1@2.com> wrote in
    > news:Xns96641232880E3ewrfdgrstnet@140.99.99.130:
    >
    >> Debate is fine - Try sticking somewhere near the bounds of reality
    >> though.
    >
    > Remember who you're talking to.
    >
    >
    >
    > stePH

    I had no idea I was addressing the group buffoon - Don't come here too often.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Gaming PCS Video Games