Cheapest reverb unit with SPDIF digital out ?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2004 6:14:45 AM

Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.

rod
August 29, 2004 6:14:46 AM

Rodney St-Pierre wrote:
> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.

Try the TC Electronic M300.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2004 10:01:00 AM

<< Any suggestions? >>

The Boss VF1 has a SPDIF out, only 44.1k, though.

Scott Fraser
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2004 2:03:25 PM

"Rodney St-Pierre" <rstpierre@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:p _aYc.114963$Np3.4974879@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.

Lexicon MPX110
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 5:05:56 AM

You will have digital clocking problems if you're trying to use both the
reverb and your sound card as clock master.

On the other hand, the clock in the digital reverb may not be as good as the
one in your sound card.

Truth is, you really want a digital reverb with a SPDIF out AND a word clock
connection... at least ideally.

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.

"Rodney St-Pierre" <rstpierre@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:p _aYc.114963$Np3.4974879@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.
>
> rod

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 1:37:04 PM

TC Electronic M300 is very good and fairly cheap.

"Rodney St-Pierre" <rstpierre@ns.sympatico.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
news:p _aYc.114963$Np3.4974879@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.
>
> rod

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 5:23:04 PM

in article 41315428.5040804@Raw-Tracks.com, EricK at eric@Raw-Tracks.com
wrote on 8/28/04 11:57 PM:

> Rodney St-Pierre wrote:
>> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
>> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
>> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.
>
> Try the TC Electronic M300.

Have they FIXED this thing yet?
I bought it early on, on the basis merely of it being TC... and while it's
nifty, has some wonderful sounds in there and I really only expected a
tweaked different flavor of the LEXICON 100, the problem with something as
straightforward as the straight delays (and -maybe- some of the reverbs),
even after long phone calls trying to get a straight answer from the tech
and design folks, remains both annoying, inexplicable, and inexcusable.

--
John I-22
(that's 'I' for Initial...)

in article p_aYc.114963$Np3.4974879@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca, Rodney
St-Pierre at rstpierre@ns.sympatico.ca wrote on 8/28/04 10:14 PM:

> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.
>
> rod

The 300 DOES have one neat feature that might well be usefull as a pass-thru
HP mix item... it has 2 sections (essentially a REVERBS/ROOMS section and a
DELAYS/CHORUS/FX section) that can run in parallel (different console sends
for each but both end up on the main outputs) or in series (pass-thru or
single-send to the whole mess). Don't know if LEXI did anything like this
for the 110 (descendant of the 100)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 5:34:43 PM

wrote on 8/28/04 11:57 PM:

> Rodney St-Pierre wrote:
>> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
>> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
>> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.
>
> Try the TC Electronic M300.

Have they FIXED this thing yet?
I bought it early on, on the basis merely of it being TC... and while it's
nifty, has some wonderful sounds in there and I really only expected a
tweaked different flavor of the LEXICON 100, the problem with something as
straightforward as the straight delays (and -maybe- some of the reverbs),
even after long phone calls trying to get a straight answer from the tech
and design folks, remains both annoying, inexplicable, and inexcusable.

--
John I-22
(that's 'I' for Initial...)
Recognising what's NOT worth your time, THAT'S the key.
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 7:33:30 PM

In article <BD58A1F5.1C8B%ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com> ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com writes:

> > Try the TC Electronic M300.
>

> the problem with something as
> straightforward as the straight delays (and -maybe- some of the reverbs),
> even after long phone calls trying to get a straight answer from the tech
> and design folks, remains both annoying, inexplicable, and inexcusable.

And just what is the problem of which you speak?

a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 8:12:27 PM

JoVee <ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com> wrote:
> in article 41315428.5040804@Raw-Tracks.com, EricK at eric@Raw-Tracks.com
> wrote on 8/28/04 11:57 PM:

>> Rodney St-Pierre wrote:
>>> Any suggestions? Will be used mostly to add reverb to the monitor mix
>>> while recording, not necessarily keeping the same reverb on the final mix.
>>> If the unit had other effects too, that would be fine.
>>
>> Try the TC Electronic M300.

> Have they FIXED this thing yet?
> I bought it early on, on the basis merely of it being TC... and while it's
> nifty, has some wonderful sounds in there and I really only expected a
> tweaked different flavor of the LEXICON 100, the problem with something as
> straightforward as the straight delays (and -maybe- some of the reverbs),
> even after long phone calls trying to get a straight answer from the tech
> and design folks, remains both annoying, inexplicable, and inexcusable.

Are you talking about effects units manufacturers not including simple
programs in the presets? Most of the Lexicons have all kinds of wacky
stuff like the WhizbangManifoldDiscombobulatorPlanetoid but when you want
a simple delay---nowhere to be seen. I often want a simple delay---no
ping-ponging, chorusing, or anything. Just a simple delay with parameters
like regeneration and length.

Because if that's what you are annoyed with---I agree.

Rob R.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 1:34:48 AM

in article cgvjlb$nad$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca, Rob Reedijk at
reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca wrote on 8/30/04 12:12 PM:

> JoVee <ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com> wrote:
>> in article 41315428.5040804@Raw-Tracks.com, EricK at eric@Raw-Tracks.com
>> wrote on 8/28/04 11:57 PM:

>>> Try the TC Electronic M300.
>
>> Have they FIXED this thing yet?
>> I bought it early on, on the basis merely of it being TC... and while it's
>> nifty, has some wonderful sounds in there and I really only expected a
>> tweaked different flavor of the LEXICON 100, the problem with something as
>> straightforward as the straight delays (and -maybe- some of the reverbs),
>> even after long phone calls trying to get a straight answer from the tech
>> and design folks, remains both annoying, inexplicable, and inexcusable.
>>

> Are you talking about effects units manufacturers not including simple
> programs in the presets? Most of the Lexicons have all kinds of wacky
> stuff like the WhizbangManifoldDiscombobulatorPlanetoid but when you want
> a simple delay---nowhere to be seen. I often want a simple delay---no
> ping-ponging, chorusing, or anything. Just a simple delay with parameters
> like regeneration and length.
>
> Because if that's what you are annoyed with---I agree.
>
> Rob R.

that too but minor.
What I refer to here is an M300 fault in the delay algorythms that results
in (I THINK) a sample or 2 delay twixt L and R outputs on a MONO delay
signal... sounds not-quite-center... not-quite-out-of-polarity-odd... sums
to mono weird and is just plain WRONG.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 1:36:51 AM

in article znr1093876994k@trad, Mike Rivers at mrivers@d-and-d.com wrote on
8/30/04 3:33 PM:

> In article <BD58A1F5.1C8B%ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com>
> ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com writes:
>
>>> Try the TC Electronic M300.
>>

>> the problem with something as
>> straightforward as the straight delays (and -maybe- some of the reverbs),
>> even after long phone calls trying to get a straight answer from the tech
>> and design folks, remains both annoying, inexplicable, and inexcusable.
>
> And just what is the problem of which you speak?

What I refer to here is an M300 fault in the delay algorythms that results
in (I THINK) a sample or 2 delay twixt L and R outputs on a MONO delay
signal... sounds not-quite-center... not-quite-out-of-polarity-odd... sums
to mono weird and is just plain WRONG.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 1:36:52 AM

In article <BD591648.1D67%ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com> ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com writes:

> What I refer to here is an M300 fault in the delay algorythms that results
> in (I THINK) a sample or 2 delay twixt L and R outputs on a MONO delay
> signal...

That's easy to fix. Just unplug one of the outputs. But then I guess
you can't use a stereo effect return for its outputs.

Does seem kind of silly that the same signal isn't routed to both
outputs, but I guess it must be a software thing. Or maybe they're
alternating channels with each clock cycle. It would be interesting to
look at it close-up to see what's actually happning. You could record
the two outputs on two tracks of a DAW, feed it with something that
has an easy-to-see wavefront, and zoom in to see just how far apart
the two tracks are.

a b C Monitor
September 1, 2004 2:36:53 AM

In article <BD591648.1D67%ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com>,
ten.nozirev@dlywsinhoj.com says...

> What I refer to here is an M300 fault in the delay algorythms that results
> in (I THINK) a sample or 2 delay twixt L and R outputs on a MONO delay
> signal... sounds not-quite-center... not-quite-out-of-polarity-odd... sums
> to mono weird and is just plain WRONG.

Not a fault but a feature?

From the TC-M300 FAQ: