Doom 3 RoE Ending ?

Okay, so I crashed right at the boss fight and I don't
want to go through that again. I heard the ending
is "interesting". Can anyone spoil it for me ?

Thank you very much.

Moa Dragon, lazy.
26 answers Last reply
More about doom ending

    > Okay, so I crashed right
    > at the boss fight and I
    > don't want to go through
    > that again. I heard the
    > ending is "interesting".
    > Can anyone spoil it for
    > me ?

    'Interesting' would be one of the last adjectives I'd use to describe
    it. After pounding away at the demon for a while it transitions into a
    cut-scene. The demon lands on you and picks you up into its mouth
    before spitting you back onto the ground. It looks as though the end
    is near for our combat engineer as he's pinned on his back underneath
    the massive demon who then demands that the he 'return what's our's!'
    So the hero does as he's commanded and manages to shove the artifact
    into the demon's throat which causes the demon to disintegrate. All
    that's left is a smoking skull and the screen goes white. You hear the
    director's voice saying, "Marine? Marine? ... Congratulations you're
    home." The screen remains white during this and then the credits start
    to roll. Fin!

    --
    Best Regards, mattchu
    np:

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:49:45 +0200, "Mils Michael"
    <mickmils@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Okay, so I crashed right at the boss fight and I don't
    >want to go through that again. I heard the ending
    >is "interesting". Can anyone spoil it for me ?
    >
    >Thank you very much.
    >
    >Moa Dragon, lazy.

    On a related topic:-

    Seems as if RoE ain't selling at all well.........

    My local Babbages' Has RoE @ $19.99.

    They appear to have moved only a couple of copies in the past week and
    still have ~15 sitting on their shelves.

    I am not optimistic about Quake 4 either.... is the day of the
    mindless,repetitive shooter with minimal story-line finally over ?
    Regardless of graphics innovation........ Maybe I am too optimistic
    and Id will continue to crank the handle warming over their own
    classics, with zero innovative game-play and mundane level-design
    until the $$ profit ceases to sustain the investment. I have not seen
    anybody really rushing to license the Doom3 engine either; there seem
    to be lots of great alternates popping up....

    John Lewis

    John Lewis wrote:

    > On a related topic:-
    >

    > Seems as if RoE ain't
    > selling at all well.........
    >

    > My local Babbages' Has
    > RoE @ $19.99.

    I thought the same thing when I saw the Doom 3 expansion selling for
    $19.99 all across town at the end of April -even on Amazon.com which
    often isn't the first place to find discounted prices on its goods.
    But the day before these price changes happened Computer Gaming
    Magazine posted news that D3: Resurrection of Evil had tops sales in
    the first weeks of April which disproved my theory:

    http://www.cgonline.com/content/view/815/

    Here's the order in which they appear:

    1.Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil Expansion Pack - Activision $31
    2.World Of Warcraft - Vivendi Universal $49
    3.The Sims 2 University Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts $34
    4.The Sims 2 - Electronic Arts $48
    5.The Sims Deluxe - Electronic Arts $20
    6.Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Ubisoft $43
    7.Half-Life 2 - Vivendi Universal $53
    8.Doom 3 - Activision $31
    9.Galaxy Of Games 350 JC - eGames $10
    10.Halo: Combat Evolved - Microsoft $30

    It might have been a preemptive price reduction to sustain sales but it
    certainly wasn't in reaction to lulled sales.

    --
    Best Regards, mattchu
    np:

    > On a related topic:-
    >
    > Seems as if RoE ain't selling at all well.........
    >
    > My local Babbages' Has RoE @ $19.99.
    >
    > They appear to have moved only a couple of copies in the past week and
    > still have ~15 sitting on their shelves.

    Not really a surprise. I picked up RoE and thought it wasn't as good as
    Doom 3. Yeah, the two additional weapons were nice to see, but overall,
    there was really almost nothing in the way of innovation. I thought having
    a different developer would have shook the experience up, but it was too
    close to the original Doom 3 experience for me. I finished it and
    uninstalled it already.

    On 12 May 2005 16:59:17 -0700, "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> On a related topic:-
    >>

    >> Seems as if RoE ain't
    >> selling at all well.........
    >>

    >> My local Babbages' Has
    >> RoE @ $19.99.
    >
    >I thought the same thing when I saw the Doom 3 expansion selling for
    >$19.99 all across town at the end of April -even on Amazon.com which
    >often isn't the first place to find discounted prices on its goods.
    >But the day before these price changes happened Computer Gaming
    >Magazine posted news that D3: Resurrection of Evil had tops sales in
    >the first weeks of April which disproved my theory:

    Magazine-sponsored sales figures are generally unbelievable. Most of
    them are based on shipments to distribution/retail, not final sales.
    They do not account for any dealer returns. Data from actual net
    retail sales dribbles up the chain, after dealer-returns are figured
    out, so they are generally not available for several months after
    first shipment, hence the CGM figures are very highly suspect........

    Considering that my local Babbages has 15 or so lingering on the
    shelf and unlikely to be sold ( even at $19.99 ), I am not the
    slightest bit surprised at the GCM ranking. Seems as if many other
    retailers also over-ordered the product.

    John Lewis

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > mattchu wrote:
    > >
    > > Mils Michael wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone spoil it for
    > > > me ?
    > >
    > > 'Interesting' would be one
    > > of the last adjectives I'd
    > > use to describe it.
    >
    > And thanks for the spoiler
    > warning.

    No problemo.

    --
    Best Regards, mattchu
    np:

    On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Lewis wrote:

    > I have not seen anybody really rushing to license the Doom3 engine
    > either; there seem to be lots of great alternates popping up....

    It seems that Prey is the only non-id game licensing the Doom 3 engine as
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines still is the only one that used the
    Source engine. It seems that most of the licensing goes to Unreal 2 and 3
    engines at the moment. The Lithtech engine has been discontinued and the
    other new engines like that of Far Cry don't seem to be licensed for now.

    Too bad about lithtech -- some great games used that engine (thief, System
    Shock2, AvP2, NOLF2).

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> I have not seen anybody really rushing to license the Doom3 engine
    >> either; there seem to be lots of great alternates popping up....
    >
    > It seems that Prey is the only non-id game licensing the Doom 3 engine as
    > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines still is the only one that used the
    > Source engine. It seems that most of the licensing goes to Unreal 2 and 3
    > engines at the moment. The Lithtech engine has been discontinued and the
    > other new engines like that of Far Cry don't seem to be licensed for now.
    >
    > --
    > Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
    > "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships

    And thanks for the spoiler warning.

    >'Interesting' would be one of the last adjectives I'd use to describe
    >it.

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:14:49 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >And thanks for the spoiler warning.

    The title of the thread pretty much spells out what's going to be
    inside. What the hell were you expecting?

    John Lewis wrote:

    > Considering that my local Babbages has 15 or so lingering on the

    And, of course, they keep you informed when they (shock horror) refill
    the shelves?

    Where you live must be some real banjo plucking backwater - no one buys
    Doom expansions, no one buys HL2 - both having topped sales lists elsewhere.

    Strange.

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005, John Lewis wrote:
    >

    >>I have not seen anybody really rushing to license the Doom3 engine
    >>either; there seem to be lots of great alternates popping up....
    >

    > It seems that Prey is the only non-id game licensing the Doom 3 engine as
    > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines still is the only one that used the
    > Source engine. It seems that most of the licensing goes to Unreal 2 and 3
    > engines at the moment. The Lithtech engine has been discontinued and the
    > other new engines like that of Far Cry don't seem to be licensed for now.

    Don't be silly : Lewis assured us that the Far Cry guys would make a
    mint from their revolutionary engine and "Autonomous AI". Guffaw.

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:42:22 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Don't be silly : Lewis assured us that the Far Cry guys would make a
    >mint from their revolutionary engine and "Autonomous AI". Guffaw.

    Well, if they haven't liscenced it yet, I'm also surprised. I thought
    Far Cry had more convincing environments than any game I've played
    based on Unreal or Quake engines. The editor seemed kind of intuitive
    too, but I'm not really into editing enough to say for sure.

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Too bad about lithtech -- some great games used that engine (thief, System
    > Shock2, AvP2, NOLF2).

    2 out of 4, not bad.

    Thief and SS2 were not lithtech, but the Dark engine.

    Tim O wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:42:22 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Don't be silly : Lewis assured us that the Far Cry guys would make a
    >>mint from their revolutionary engine and "Autonomous AI". Guffaw.
    >

    > Well, if they haven't liscenced it yet, I'm also surprised. I thought
    > Far Cry had more convincing environments than any game I've played
    > based on Unreal or Quake engines. The editor seemed kind of intuitive
    > too, but I'm not really into editing enough to say for sure.

    What environments?

    Sure, the FC Engine did palm fronds and water very nicely - but did you
    see HL2 water? HL2 sunsets? HL2 grime and tat?

    The proof is in the pudding and the total lack of any player inspired
    mods indicates that Far Cry failed to capture the imagination of many
    people. technically a lovely engine : gameplaywise a flop IMO.

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:04:16 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >What environments?
    >
    >Sure, the FC Engine did palm fronds and water very nicely - but did you
    >see HL2 water? HL2 sunsets? HL2 grime and tat?
    >
    >The proof is in the pudding and the total lack of any player inspired
    >mods indicates that Far Cry failed to capture the imagination of many
    >people. technically a lovely engine : gameplaywise a flop IMO.

    The environments where you can see a moutain 5 miles away and actually
    travel there. Half Life 2 is a great game, but it's a tunnel. You're
    constantly reminded by one way drops, barricades of junk and walls
    that you're on a 20 foot wide strip of game that goes straight through
    from one end to the other.
    Throwing some health power ups in a tunnel 5 feet off the beaten path
    doesn't make for open ended play.

    I'd rather have the relative freedom of mobility Far Cry provides than
    better looking water, sunsets and whatever tat is. Maybe you just need
    a very structured game and are more impressed by graphics than me.
    I'll take 640x480 if it gives me a world where I free to try all types
    of things to complete a mission.

    Tim O wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:04:16 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>What environments?
    >>
    >>Sure, the FC Engine did palm fronds and water very nicely - but did you
    >>see HL2 water? HL2 sunsets? HL2 grime and tat?
    >>
    >>The proof is in the pudding and the total lack of any player inspired
    >>mods indicates that Far Cry failed to capture the imagination of many
    >>people. technically a lovely engine : gameplaywise a flop IMO.
    >

    > The environments where you can see a moutain 5 miles away and actually
    > travel there. Half Life 2 is a great game, but it's a tunnel. You're

    Exactly : thats why its such an interactive game with traps, great
    detail etc. I simply dont buy that "great open ranges" are good fun.

    In addition, Don't underestimate the HL2 engine : there were some pretty
    big areas too.

    > constantly reminded by one way drops, barricades of junk and walls
    > that you're on a 20 foot wide strip of game that goes straight through
    > from one end to the other.
    > Throwing some health power ups in a tunnel 5 feet off the beaten path
    > doesn't make for open ended play.

    Aargh!!!! far cry is NOT open ended. It i sjust bigger play areas : and
    that is why it bored me. All to their own. I play a game to be fun - and
    I, and lots of others, had a lot of fun with HL2 but next to zero with
    far cry. Technically the engine was lovely - but the game was pants (IMO
    again).

    > I'd rather have the relative freedom of mobility Far Cry provides than
    > better looking water, sunsets and whatever tat is. Maybe you just need
    > a very structured game and are more impressed by graphics than me.

    eh? So you dont think that Far Cry has the better visuals?

    > I'll take 640x480 if it gives me a world where I free to try all types
    > of things to complete a mission.

    And I'll play a game like HL2 in 640x480 with AA in order to appreciate
    the trigger happy gameplay and adrenalin rush it provides.

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:58:36 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Tim O wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:04:16 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What environments?
    >>>
    >>>Sure, the FC Engine did palm fronds and water very nicely - but did you
    >>>see HL2 water? HL2 sunsets? HL2 grime and tat?
    >>>
    >>>The proof is in the pudding and the total lack of any player inspired
    >>>mods indicates that Far Cry failed to capture the imagination of many
    >>>people. technically a lovely engine : gameplaywise a flop IMO.
    >>

    >> The environments where you can see a moutain 5 miles away and actually
    >> travel there. Half Life 2 is a great game, but it's a tunnel. You're
    >
    >Exactly : thats why its such an interactive game with traps, great
    >detail etc. I simply dont buy that "great open ranges" are good fun.
    >
    >In addition, Don't underestimate the HL2 engine : there were some pretty
    >big areas too.

    Yea, big areas that are surrounded by walls and background
    "paintings".

    >Aargh!!!! far cry is NOT open ended. It i sjust bigger play areas : and
    >that is why it bored me. All to their own. I play a game to be fun - and
    >I, and lots of others, had a lot of fun with HL2 but next to zero with
    >far cry. Technically the engine was lovely - but the game was pants (IMO
    >again).

    You can complete many missions using multiple strategies, which is why
    it IS open ended. This mission objectives are fixed, but on many of
    the outdoor levels you can do them on foot, in a buggy, and even
    attack from the ocean to soften up offenses before moving in.
    Perhaps the open ended style of play doesn't appeal to you, you just
    need to be herded down one corridor after another, even if the
    corridor is vaguely disguised to make you think you're not (until you
    try exploring or thinking outside the box).

    >> I'd rather have the relative freedom of mobility Far Cry provides than
    >> better looking water, sunsets and whatever tat is. Maybe you just need
    >> a very structured game and are more impressed by graphics than me.
    >
    >eh? So you dont think that Far Cry has the better visuals?

    You seemed to indicate that it didn't. I didn't argue the point
    because I don't care. Both are fine.

    >> I'll take 640x480 if it gives me a world where I free to try all types
    >> of things to complete a mission.
    >>

    >And I'll play a game like HL2 in 640x480 with AA in order to appreciate
    >the trigger happy gameplay and adrenalin rush it provides.

    Fortunately, the levels are little console sized bites, so it runs
    pretty fast.

    Tim
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:41:27 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >> Considering that my local Babbages has 15 or so lingering on the
    >

    >And, of course, they keep you informed when they (shock horror) refill
    >the shelves?

    In my Babbages, the 15 copies of Roe are on a back shelf jammed with
    a bunch of other sub-$20 titles. Unlike the "currently hot" titles
    they are not in a front display by themselves, which would certainly
    mask any replacement. It was fairly obvious that the block of RoE had
    not been disturbed very much, and why should the store put out any
    more to take up valuable shelf space that can be occupied by oither
    titles. If you would like, next time I visit the store, I will ask the
    store manager roughly how many RoE have been sold per week
    over the past month and report back here. OK, we got a deal ??

    Also, since Babbages' have officially cut the price to $19.99 at least
    2 weeks ago, they must be in an overstock/poor-sales situation.
    Babbages' is not at all noted for their generous pricing on new PC
    titles.

    >Where you live must be some real banjo plucking backwater - no one buys
    >Doom expansions, no one buys HL2 - both having topped sales lists elsewhere.

    In my previous posting, I think I explained how the Sales Charts that
    you see published in the weeks immediately after games come out
    are total rubbish. They do not represent NET retail sales; they
    represent only either the manufacturer's initial shipment to
    distribution or distribution's initial shipment to the retail outlets.
    Both big and small retailers gradually accumulate returned and unsold
    product and re-cycle it in batches... that takes delay-TIME. So if the
    retailer overstocks the product, as is so common with the
    heavily-marketed games... then the so-called Weekly Sales Figures
    are skewed in the same direction. Seems as if you had some trouble
    coming to grips with this simple logic. I am not the first on this
    newsgroup to explain this obvious flaw in these weekly "Instant
    Sales Charts". Go stick pins in a voodoo-doll of somebody else.

    I strongly suspect that when all the true sales-figures are back with
    Id, RoE will have been judged a sales-flop by them. We will never hear
    the details of course, but the message will be loud and clear if Id
    generates/commissions no more PC expansion packs for Doom 3.
    Maybe I shall be proved totally wrong... and you can have a field-day
    at my expense.............. :-) :-) However, you will not be entitled
    to gloat should a third-party release a successful brand-new game
    based on the Doom3 ENGINE and having nothing to do with
    the Doom3 'world'.

    Sorry for drifting so far off the thread-topic, but Wally made me do
    it.... sob.....I could not help myself....sob...

    John Lewis

    >Strange.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I should've said Thief 2. System Shock 2 sure as hell WAS lithtech! I've
    still got it installed. How do you explain all the .res files? .Res files
    are used by all lithtech engine games.

    --
    Remove nospam to email
    "Alfred Pum" <alfredpum@speed-tiscali.at> wrote in message

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Too bad about lithtech -- some great games used that engine (thief,
    >> System
    >> Shock2, AvP2, NOLF2).
    >>

    > 2 out of 4, not bad.
    >
    > Thief and SS2 were not lithtech, but the Dark engine.

  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:08:42 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
    wrote:

    >I should've said Thief 2. System Shock 2 sure as hell WAS lithtech! I've
    >still got it installed. How do you explain all the .res files? .Res files
    >are used by all lithtech engine games.

    Just because they have the same extension doesn't mean they are the same
    engine. SS2 used a modified version of the Dark Engine aka Thief 2 as
    already stated.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    > I should've said Thief 2. System Shock 2 sure as hell WAS lithtech! I've
    > still got it installed. How do you explain all the .res files? .Res files
    > are used by all lithtech engine games.

    Read the designer notes in the manual. Ken Levine clearly states that they
    were using the Dark engine.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    wrote:

    >I should've said Thief 2. System Shock 2 sure as hell WAS lithtech!

    No, it's the Dark (a.k.a. Thief) engine. You can tell with the following:

    - Melee attacks use the same method as Thief. Only difference is that
    overhead swings require an upgrade, and that melee weapons are skinned
    differently.
    - The robots in SS2 are animated identically to the robots in Thief 2. The
    only differences are the death explosion, and the model.
    - Both games have problems under Windows XP, specifically with codecs not
    working. The problem is identical, as is the fix.
    - If you do not have "enough" diskspace (i.e. close to some multiple of 2GB
    free), you get an error message. Technical Info: Both games call
    GetDiskFreeSpace() rather than GetDiskFreeSpaceEx().
    - The rendering used in Lithtech engines looks different than the one used
    in the Dark engine. Dark is meant to handle a lower polygon count and run
    on weaker computers, and looks less sophisticated than a comparible
    Lithtech game.

    This is more than enough to show that Thief and SS2 use identical engines.

    > I've
    >still got it installed. How do you explain all the .res files? .Res files
    >are used by all lithtech engine games.

    The ".RES" file used by System Shock 2 is an "LG Res File v2".

    A ".REZ" file used by Sanity: Aiken's Artifact is "RezMgr Version 1
    Copyright (C) 1995 MONOLITH INC."

    These are two completely different formats, and does not mean they are the
    same engine. BTW, you shouldn't base an engine based on the file name
    unless it is a distinctive feature of that engine - I've seen Lithtech
    engine games use ".DB" rather than ".REZ", which indicate that the format
    in question is merely a different packing method.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:41:27 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>John Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Considering that my local Babbages has 15 or so lingering on the
    >>

    >>And, of course, they keep you informed when they (shock horror) refill
    >>the shelves?
    >>

    > In my Babbages, the 15 copies of Roe are on a back shelf jammed with
    > a bunch of other sub-$20 titles. Unlike the "currently hot" titles
    > they are not in a front display by themselves, which would certainly
    > mask any replacement. It was fairly obvious that the block of RoE had
    > not been disturbed very much, and why should the store put out any
    > more to take up valuable shelf space that can be occupied by oither
    > titles. If you would like, next time I visit the store, I will ask the
    > store manager roughly how many RoE have been sold per week
    > over the past month and report back here. OK, we got a deal ??
    >
    > Also, since Babbages' have officially cut the price to $19.99 at least
    > 2 weeks ago, they must be in an overstock/poor-sales situation.
    > Babbages' is not at all noted for their generous pricing on new PC
    > titles.

    Cutting prices is not normal where you come from?? All FPS games get
    slashed not too long after initial market penetration.

    >>Where you live must be some real banjo plucking backwater - no one buys
    >>Doom expansions, no one buys HL2 - both having topped sales lists elsewhere.
    >

    > In my previous posting, I think I explained how the Sales Charts that
    > you see published in the weeks immediately after games come out
    > are total rubbish. They do not represent NET retail sales; they
    > represent only either the manufacturer's initial shipment to
    > distribution or distribution's initial shipment to the retail outlets.
    > Both big and small retailers gradually accumulate returned and unsold
    > product and re-cycle it in batches... that takes delay-TIME. So if the
    > retailer overstocks the product, as is so common with the
    > heavily-marketed games... then the so-called Weekly Sales Figures
    > are skewed in the same direction. Seems as if you had some trouble
    > coming to grips with this simple logic. I am not the first on this
    > newsgroup to explain this obvious flaw in these weekly "Instant
    > Sales Charts". Go stick pins in a voodoo-doll of somebody else.
    >
    > I strongly suspect that when all the true sales-figures are back with
    > Id, RoE will have been judged a sales-flop by them. We will never hear

    *suspect*.

    > the details of course, but the message will be loud and clear if Id
    > generates/commissions no more PC expansion packs for Doom 3.
    > Maybe I shall be proved totally wrong... and you can have a field-day
    > at my expense.............. :-) :-) However, you will not be entitled

    You see, the big difference ? I don't really care : I hope for the
    developers sake that it does well - but I don't know. You, on the other
    hand, are speculating based on your dislike for Doom 3 and the fact that
    it kicked Far Cry's ass in the sales department. I'm merely asking you
    to back up your assertions.

    > to gloat should a third-party release a successful brand-new game
    > based on the Doom3 ENGINE and having nothing to do with
    > the Doom3 'world'.
    >
    > Sorry for drifting so far off the thread-topic, but Wally made me do
    > it.... sob.....I could not help myself....sob...

    How did I? I'm asking you to back up your baseless waffling : yet again
    having a go at a game which you dont particularly like.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:38:35 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:41:27 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>>And, of course, they keep you informed when they (shock horror) refill
    >>>the shelves?
    >>>

    >> In my Babbages, the 15 copies of Roe are on a back shelf jammed with
    >> a bunch of other sub-$20 titles. Unlike the "currently hot" titles
    >> they are not in a front display by themselves, which would certainly
    >> mask any replacement. It was fairly obvious that the block of RoE had
    >> not been disturbed very much, and why should the store put out any
    >> more to take up valuable shelf space that can be occupied by oither
    >> titles. If you would like, next time I visit the store, I will ask the
    >> store manager roughly how many RoE have been sold per week
    >> over the past month and report back here. OK, we got a deal ??
    >>
    >> Also, since Babbages' have officially cut the price to $19.99 at least
    >> 2 weeks ago, they must be in an overstock/poor-sales situation.
    >> Babbages' is not at all noted for their generous pricing on new PC
    >> titles.
    >>

    >Cutting prices is not normal where you come from?? All FPS games get
    >slashed not too long after initial market penetration.

    It doesn't seem to be as normal as it should. At one random visit to
    EB-Games, I've seen old (and non-famous) games selling for around $40.00 -
    a very high price for something that isn't from a "proven" developer.

    I could understand the high price for something like Doom 3 or Quake 3 -
    the "true" price centers around the rights to develop light mods for the
    engine, in the hopes that there is a full-scale source code licence that
    gets purchased as well. But anonymous games tend to be a very high risk,
    as there's no guarentee about the quality of the game or potential mods.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 14 May 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

    > Sure, the FC Engine did palm fronds and water very nicely - but did you
    > see HL2 water? HL2 sunsets? HL2 grime and tat?

    HL2 water and sunsets look much worse than FC if you have a DirectX 8
    video card. Strange that VTMB did them better...

    > The proof is in the pudding and the total lack of any player inspired
    > mods indicates that Far Cry failed to capture the imagination of many
    > people. technically a lovely engine : gameplaywise a flop IMO.

    I don't know about multiplayer mods, but there are at least as many good
    singleplayer missions out for FC than for HL2 if not more. Both games were
    rather different and my ideal shooter would be a combination!

    As for multiplayer mods, I really don't understand why all these similar
    multiplayer mods still appear for each new engine or game. Haven't the
    players got bored by Counter-Strike and consorts yet?

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games