Sign in with
Your question

PC freezes / locks up every 1.5 to 2 hours

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 28, 2012 7:16:02 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm usually pretty savvy with computers but this one's got me stumped. All of a sudden the other night my computer started to freeze/lock up every 1.5 to 2 hours, no matter what I'm doing on it. If I reboot, then just leave it, when I come back a few hours later it's totally locked up and I have to hold the power button down to reboot. If I use it for two hours, say playing a game, eventually the game will freeze up and the same thing happens, I have to power cycle it.

I noticed a couple times that it seems to be explorer.exe that's in a hung state. If I hover my mouse over the taskbar it's just the blue circle spinning. Sometimes I'm able to open task manager (CTRL-ALT-ESC) but that quickly results in it just displaying a blank white window.

- I haven't made any recent changes to my system, hardware or software.
- I've ran a memtest86+ for over 4 hours and no errors.
- I've tried uninstalling a whole crapload of software, including my video card drivers, to no avail.
- I've updated my SSD's firmware to the latest version.

Checking Windows event logs yields only this error but there are lots of them going back to well before this whole freezing issue started:
- The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR7.

There is also this error only once in the last 3 days for which this problem has been occurring:
- The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7600.16768 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

Anyone with some ideas...?? :love: 

More about : freezes locks hours

a b $ Windows 7
April 28, 2012 7:18:25 PM

Hi :) 

Virus....

Hard Drive failing....

Faulty ram....

I would run a hard drive test in DOS first.... HIRENS CD etc...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
April 28, 2012 7:24:01 PM

Oh also here are my specs in case you're wondering:
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, all the latest updates
- 8GB G.Skill F3-12800 DDR3-1333
- ATI Radeon HD 5800
- OS drive is a Crucial M4 2.5inch SSD 128GB
- Motherboard is ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
- CPU Intel QuadCore i5-750
m
l
November 29, 2012 3:53:13 AM

Sometimes the Crucial M4 SSD's will have an issue. (the one in my gaming rig did; the one in my htpc didn't). For the one that did it would freeze the computer after about an hour - didn't matter if I was gaming or just letting the computer idle. Sometimes it would BSoD.

I found this:
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/BSOD...

Updating the firmware solved my issue. Hope it helps...

Another post on Tom's regarding this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284612-32-computer-ru...
m
l
!