"Boiling Point"...a very interesting looking 'sleeper'

See:-

http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm

(The US link does not work )

Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
Single-player only.

As quoted by "mace" in another thread.... BP seems like a combination
of GTA, the original Deus Ex and Far Cry. The combat element by itself
is highly unlikely to meet the searching standards of this newsgroup,
but the overall game-play satisfaction could be very high. Go-anywhere
gameplay in a 25km x 25km area of a steaming and politically-unstable
tropical country. Multiple vehicles. Game engine designed for seamless
movement throughout the whole area. Main-line story with potentially
hundreds of side-missions. The main-line and the side-missions can be
mixed up at will. Strong non-linear RPG elements - the players actions
will determine the attitudes (and actions) of the NPC groups in the
game.

Hopefully, the initial release will be fairly bug-free. With the vast
play-area, non-linear game-play and huge number of missions, expect to
see a few patches.....Testing this type of game must be a real
nightmare.

John Lewis
30 answers Last reply
More about boiling point interesting sleeper

    x-no-archive: yes

    John Lewis wrote:

    > Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
    > fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
    > US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
    > Single-player only.

    <snip remaining high quality post>

    pc only + single-player only + packaged = PC GAME PERFECTION!

    lets make boiling point the biggest selling pc game of 2005!

    everyone in this group BUY boiling point when released!

    long live pc only single player only packaged pc games!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    steamKILLER wrote:

    > lets make boiling point the biggest selling pc game of 2005!
    >
    > everyone in this group BUY boiling point when released!

    I trust your judgement, so you buy it and tell us what it's like. If
    you give a favourable review I will probably get it too.

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 06:01:08 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >See:-
    >
    >http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm
    >
    >(The US link does not work )
    >
    >Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
    >fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
    >US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
    >Single-player only.
    >
    >As quoted by "mace" in another thread.... BP seems like a combination
    >of GTA, the original Deus Ex and Far Cry. The combat element by itself
    >is highly unlikely to meet the searching standards of this newsgroup,
    >but the overall game-play satisfaction could be very high. Go-anywhere
    >gameplay in a 25km x 25km area of a steaming and politically-unstable
    >tropical country. Multiple vehicles. Game engine designed for seamless
    >movement throughout the whole area. Main-line story with potentially
    >hundreds of side-missions. The main-line and the side-missions can be
    >mixed up at will. Strong non-linear RPG elements - the players actions
    >will determine the attitudes (and actions) of the NPC groups in the
    >game.
    >
    >Hopefully, the initial release will be fairly bug-free. With the vast
    >play-area, non-linear game-play and huge number of missions, expect to
    >see a few patches.....Testing this type of game must be a real
    >nightmare.
    >
    >John Lewis

    The RPG element is about the only thing that doesn't appeal much to
    me, but the rest looks so cool. I guess even on the RPG side, the bars
    that show your standing with the various groups on the island are
    pretty cool. I'm gonna snag this one when I see it and give it a shot
    on faith. The freedom to move about makes the game for me.

    Here is the site for Boiling Point. http://www.boiling-point.net/ It
    looks pretty good. My favorite genre is the FPS SciFi Horror...wish
    there were more. I am a hard core Half Life person. Don't have HL2
    yet..waiting for my kids to give it to me for my B'day..Valve's HL2
    Silver. After all, how many games did I buy for them when they were
    growing up! I just started playing HL about a year ago and got hooked.
    Now I am playing every single mod I can find.
    I have a hard time with FPS that have to do with war. I lived thru Viet
    Nam and it was so horrific. Just can't make a fun game out of anything
    that is too close to real life. Maybe I will give this one a try.

    On 13 May 2005 00:33:42 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
    >> fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
    >> US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
    >> Single-player only.
    >
    ><snip remaining high quality post>
    >
    >pc only + single-player only + packaged = PC GAME PERFECTION!
    >
    >lets make boiling point the biggest selling pc game of 2005!
    >
    >everyone in this group BUY boiling point when released!

    So you are going to buy it on the day of release ?
    ....even if it turns out to be a dog ?? If you are not willing to put
    your money where your mouth is, then PLEASE refrain from
    cluttering this thread with your purchasing advice.

    The thread was started by me to stimulate useful discussion about the
    game itself, not to provide another avenue for one of your irrelevant
    diatribes.

    To others reading this thread, please ignore "sayNo2's postings,
    unless they specifically address Boiling Point and its
    GAMING features.

    John Lewis

    >long live pc only single player only packaged pc games!
    >
    >--
    >post made in a steam-free computer
    >i said "NO" to valve and steam

    You're a Vietnam vet?

    --
    Remove nospam to email

    On 2005-05-13, John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
    > To others reading this thread, please ignore "sayNo2's postings,

    Please take your own advice and KF him.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    You asked..."You're a Vietnam vet?"
    In a way. I graduated high school when the Viet Nam war was in full
    swing. A boy I was dating was killed, shot down when he was descending
    on a parachute. Many of my high school buddies were lost. I have a
    family member who came back so deeply traumatized he has never been the
    same. My first husband had agent orange poisoning and ended up in
    lifetime care and was mentally injured. So, that war has such a horror
    for me, I can't make a game out of real war situations. But demons?
    Bring 'em on!

    x-no-archive: yes

    hl2 features a against consumer rights technology called steam
    which should not be accepted by any pc gamer with a minimum iq

    --

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:20:56 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The RPG element is about the only thing that doesn't appeal much to
    >me, but the rest looks so cool. I guess even on the RPG side, the bars
    >that show your standing with the various groups on the island are
    >pretty cool. I'm gonna snag this one when I see it and give it a shot
    >on faith. The freedom to move about makes the game for me.

    Unfortunately, those that have seen preview (not final) code have been
    underwhelmed by the fighting-AI. Open-space play gives AI unique
    challenges, so if FPS-action is what you really enjoy most and not
    exploration/RPG, I would suggest avoiding purchase until after real
    user-reviews of the release-version and see whether any serious
    problems still exist with the AI. If so, I suggest that you wait for
    patches that address the issues and not have a disappointing
    purchasing experience. Of course, there is a Catch 22 here --- the
    more people that buy the game, the more likely high-quality effort
    will be put into patches. (c.f: The sad state of Tribes: Vengeances
    where VU pulled the plug on patches, due to very poor sales ) There
    was also some comments about poor vehicle-handling in the BP preview
    code, but problems here will be easier to rectify with patches than
    any AI fixes.

    John Lewis

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Chadwick wrote:
    >
    >> I trust your judgement, so you buy it and tell us what it's like.
    >> If you give a favourable review I will probably get it too.
    >
    > that's a big vote of confidence in my capabilities coming
    > from someone i see as the "enemy"
    > i fell flattered and hope not disappoint although you must
    > realize our gameplay tastes are very different
    > you are stealth/tactical oriented and i'm more old school
    > id style fps...

    ....who is winding up who here? ;-)

    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:20:56 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>The RPG element is about the only thing that doesn't appeal much to
    >>me, but the rest looks so cool. I guess even on the RPG side, the bars
    >>that show your standing with the various groups on the island are
    >>pretty cool. I'm gonna snag this one when I see it and give it a shot
    >>on faith. The freedom to move about makes the game for me.
    >>

    > Unfortunately, those that have seen preview (not final) code have been
    > underwhelmed by the fighting-AI. Open-space play gives AI unique
    > challenges, so if FPS-action is what you really enjoy most and not
    > exploration/RPG, I would suggest avoiding purchase until after real
    > user-reviews of the release-version and see whether any serious
    > problems still exist with the AI. If so, I suggest that you wait for
    > patches that address the issues and not have a disappointing
    > purchasing experience. Of course, there is a Catch 22 here --- the
    > more people that buy the game, the more likely high-quality effort
    > will be put into patches. (c.f: The sad state of Tribes: Vengeances
    > where VU pulled the plug on patches, due to very poor sales ) There
    > was also some comments about poor vehicle-handling in the BP preview
    > code, but problems here will be easier to rectify with patches than
    > any AI fixes.
    >
    > John Lewis

    The fighting in Deus Ex was underwhelming and the animation of the soldiers
    'moonwalking' as they shot at you is a joke but it didnt stop the game being
    great.
    Yeah - I reckon this is one to look out for.

    > See:-
    >
    > http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm
    >
    > (The US link does not work )
    >
    > Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
    > fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
    > US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
    > Single-player only.
    >
    > As quoted by "mace" in another thread.... BP seems like a combination
    > of GTA, the original Deus Ex and Far Cry. The combat element by itself
    > is highly unlikely to meet the searching standards of this newsgroup,
    > but the overall game-play satisfaction could be very high. Go-anywhere
    > gameplay in a 25km x 25km area of a steaming and politically-unstable
    > tropical country. Multiple vehicles. Game engine designed for seamless
    > movement throughout the whole area. Main-line story with potentially
    > hundreds of side-missions. The main-line and the side-missions can be
    > mixed up at will. Strong non-linear RPG elements - the players actions
    > will determine the attitudes (and actions) of the NPC groups in the
    > game.
    >
    > Hopefully, the initial release will be fairly bug-free. With the vast
    > play-area, non-linear game-play and huge number of missions, expect to
    > see a few patches.....Testing this type of game must be a real
    > nightmare.
    >
    > John Lewis

    Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
    do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.

    > hl2 features a against consumer rights technology called steam
    > which should not be accepted by any pc gamer with a minimum iq

    What's your IQ, btw?
    And who determines the minimum IQ necessary to be a bona fide PC gamer ?

    Does it never occur to you why all the other kids take the piss out of you ?

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:26:00 GMT, "TheLoanArranger"
    <somewhere@wallawallawalla.com> wrote:

    >> hl2 features a against consumer rights technology called steam
    >> which should not be accepted by any pc gamer with a minimum iq
    >>

    >What's your IQ, btw?
    >And who determines the minimum IQ necessary to be a bona fide PC gamer ?

    For the first time ever sayno2sanity has something correct. He has put
    himself in the minimum IQ bracket.

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:14:49 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

    >Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
    >do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.

    Not really. There is a FAQ on the subject ( Don't remember the URL)
    I believe that the area is cut up into overlapping small squares and
    anticipatory data loads of all areas adjacent to the player occur in
    the background using spare CPU cycles when nothing else much is
    happening -- this scheme would break nastily if transport across the
    terrain was by teleportation or jet-aircraft.... However, (afair) a
    Cessna or helicopter are the fastest means of player-transport in the
    game.. .. probably a deliberately-planned technical limitation, and
    very acceptable within the "3rd-world-country" context of this game.

    It will be interesting to see whether the "seamless-terrain" ever
    breaks down (more likely betrayed by frame-rate stutters than loss of
    scenery detail) when there is lots of movement combined
    with action.

    John Lewis

    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:14:49 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
    >>do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.
    >>

    > Not really. There is a FAQ on the subject ( Don't remember the URL)
    > I believe that the area is cut up into overlapping small squares and
    > anticipatory data loads of all areas adjacent to the player occur in
    > the background using spare CPU cycles when nothing else much is
    > happening -- this scheme would break nastily if transport across the
    > terrain was by teleportation or jet-aircraft.... However, (afair) a
    > Cessna or helicopter are the fastest means of player-transport in the
    > game.. .. probably a deliberately-planned technical limitation, and
    > very acceptable within the "3rd-world-country" context of this game.
    >
    > It will be interesting to see whether the "seamless-terrain" ever
    > breaks down (more likely betrayed by frame-rate stutters than loss of
    > scenery detail) when there is lots of movement combined
    > with action.
    >
    > John Lewis

    Something like Morrowind?
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:45:25 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:14:49 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
    >>>do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.
    >>>

    >> Not really. There is a FAQ on the subject ( Don't remember the URL)
    >> I believe that the area is cut up into overlapping small squares and
    >> anticipatory data loads of all areas adjacent to the player occur in
    >> the background using spare CPU cycles when nothing else much is
    >> happening -- this scheme would break nastily if transport across the
    >> terrain was by teleportation or jet-aircraft.... However, (afair) a
    >> Cessna or helicopter are the fastest means of player-transport in the
    >> game.. .. probably a deliberately-planned technical limitation, and
    >> very acceptable within the "3rd-world-country" context of this game.
    >>
    >> It will be interesting to see whether the "seamless-terrain" ever
    >> breaks down (more likely betrayed by frame-rate stutters than loss of
    >> scenery detail) when there is lots of movement combined
    >> with action.
    >>
    >> John Lewis
    >>

    >Something like Morrowind?

    Even on the fastest processors, the tile-loading in Morrowind
    is painfully obvious...the Boiling Point system is claimed by the
    developers to be entirely seamless. No such claim for Morrowind
    has been ever made by Bethesda. Hopefully Oblivion, Bethesda's
    next title will have addressed the terrain-loading problem so obvious
    with Morrowind. Anyway, if Boiling Point's system really works,
    Bethesda will have plenty of time to dissect the design and learn
    from it before Oblivion ships.

    John Lewis

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm

    I love the movie of this game shown on the current
    UK PC Gamer DVD. However, it's seemingly
    quite buggy. I hope the publisher isn't tempted
    to do a "Bloodlines" (rush a brilliant but flawed
    game out the door without proper bugfixing, leaving
    the few who buy it and appreciate it, despite the frustrations,
    to wonder what might have been if they'd spent time polishing
    it up).

    P.

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:24:16 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
    <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm
    >
    >I love the movie of this game shown on the current
    >UK PC Gamer DVD. However, it's seemingly
    >quite buggy. I hope the publisher isn't tempted
    >to do a "Bloodlines" (rush a brilliant but flawed
    >game out the door without proper bugfixing, leaving
    >the few who buy it and appreciate it, despite the frustrations,
    >to wonder what might have been if they'd spent time polishing
    >it up).

    Agreed.... deja-vu of several of my own past experiences. You
    could not have said it better........... I share your concerns too...
    The release in the US has been very quiet indeed, and seems to be just
    the UK DVD re-released here, nothing especially tweaked for the US
    market...not at all a good omen....

    From the reports of an earlier build, I expect the encounter-AI to be
    not at all up to par with the best action games (at least without
    further patching), so the game is likely to be a great disappointment
    for those that love pure shooters. And for those who worship daily at
    the graphics altar (regardless of game-play), I also advise not
    pre-ordering this game. I have not seen the specs yet, but
    horror-of-horrors, it might only need DX8 (or greater) compatibility..
    However, for me, if the RPG elements and story-line are up to par,
    the graphics not too bad, and any game-play bugs are minor ( or
    quickly-patched) then I shall probably find the game very enjoyable.

    I have pre-ordered the game, breaking several of my cardinal rules
    about game-purchases ( read user-reviews, wait for bug-fixes, wait for
    sale-prices, view demo ), but I feel that this adventurous developer
    deserves some financial reward, so a small chunk of what I pay may
    help contribute to bug-fixes.... or Boiling Point 2. Consider it a
    totally--stupid charitable-contribution if you wish. At least I am
    only potentially losing $39.99 instead of the $54.99 wasted on that
    boring warmed-over gameplay called Doom3...... or selling my soul (at
    that same price) to Valve/Steam.

    John Lewis

    >P.
    >
    >--
    >-pm
    >
    >http://oceanclub.blogspot.com
    >
    >"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    >to send back soup in a deli."

  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    John Lewis wrote:

    > I have pre-ordered the game, breaking several of my cardinal rules

    john you gave me the only good news i read in this group today

    > sale-prices, view demo ), but I feel that this adventurous developer
    > deserves some financial reward, so a small chunk of what I pay may

    totally agree with you
    they deserve it and its no favour cause what they are doing
    is for the good of us all pc gamers!

    > totally--stupid charitable-contribution if you wish. At least I am

    no charity john but rather paying for your favorite hobby

    > only potentially losing $39.99 instead of the $54.99 wasted on that

    no matter what, buying pc games is never wasted money never!

    > boring warmed-over gameplay called Doom3...... or selling my soul (at
    > that same price) to Valve/Steam.

    exactly! valve/steam never! NEVER!

    in a time were this group faces so many attacks your posts
    john are the few positive things in this group...
    thanks

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 19 May 2005 01:30:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> I have pre-ordered the game, breaking several of my cardinal rules
    >
    >john you gave me the only good news i read in this group today
    >
    >> sale-prices, view demo ), but I feel that this adventurous developer
    >> deserves some financial reward, so a small chunk of what I pay may
    >
    >totally agree with you
    >they deserve it and its no favour cause what they are doing
    >is for the good of us all pc gamers!
    >
    >> totally--stupid charitable-contribution if you wish. At least I am
    >
    >no charity john but rather paying for your favorite hobby
    >
    >> only potentially losing $39.99 instead of the $54.99 wasted on that
    >
    >no matter what, buying pc games is never wasted money never!

    And you are also putting your money where your mouth is ??

    You want to reward the developer and you have pre-ordered
    Boiling-Point too ?? Oh, how wonderful !!!

    I believe that it is released where you live a couple of days
    ahead of me, so I shall appreciate your first impressions.
    Don't forget to post them here on Saturday or Sunday. I
    shall be looking for them.

    Thanks,

    John Lewis
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > You want to reward the developer and you have pre-ordered
    > Boiling-Point too ?? Oh, how wonderful !!!
    >
    > I believe that it is released where you live a couple of days
    > ahead of me, so I shall appreciate your first impressions.
    > Don't forget to post them here on Saturday or Sunday. I
    > shall be looking for them.

    After all that I've read about BP on the german forums (it's already
    been released here), you shouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.
    From what I read, it's very buggy and people agree that it's a real
    stinker. Does anyone recall Trespasser? ;-) If I were you, I'd cancel my
    order if possible. If you can read german, check
    http://www.boiling-point.net .

    Regards,

    Michael
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:09:21 +0200, Michael Schwind
    <michael.schwind@web.de> wrote:

    >After all that I've read about BP on the german forums (it's already
    >been released here), you shouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.
    > From what I read, it's very buggy and people agree that it's a real
    >stinker. Does anyone recall Trespasser? ;-) If I were you, I'd cancel my
    >order if possible. If you can read german, check
    >http://www.boiling-point.net .

    Thanks so much for the warnings.

    I have read all the English comments on the site. Works quite well for
    some, awful for others. The developers are still staying in business
    and not disbanding ( unlike Ion Storm after DX2 ) and are planning the
    development of a modern version of the classic space-RPG "Elite",
    including player-guided planet landings with grav effects and planet
    exploration like Elite and Elite 2. So I am somewhat optimistic that
    patches will be forthcoming... It is both in the developers' and
    Infogrames financial interest - the game is different enough to
    develop a cult-following, like Far Cry, Deus Ex etc...--- IF IT IS
    PATCHED ACCEPTABLY and fairly quickly !!

    I shall continue with my charitable giving to BP's game-developers who
    were willing to take the risk with something challengingly different.
    And, maybe I shall be pleasantly surprised with its performance and
    enjoyment-factor on my system.

    John Lewis

    >Regards,
    >
    >Michael
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    John Lewis wrote:

    > Don't forget to post them here on Saturday or Sunday. I

    yes it has been released today but i never told i would pre
    order or buy it the exact day of release

    i told i would buy boiling point at release and for me that
    means i can buy it today or in 3 months time... it doesn't
    mean i'm obliged to buy it right now right today

    not to disappoint but i'll not buy it in the current month...
    in the current month i already bought all the pc games i can
    total of 4... not bad john? i bought four pc games in may!
    now how many can say the same? have you bought four pc games
    in may john?

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:09:21 +0200, Michael Schwind
    > <michael.schwind@web.de> wrote:
    >

    >>After all that I've read about BP on the german forums (it's already
    >>been released here), you shouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.
    >>From what I read, it's very buggy and people agree that it's a real
    >>stinker. Does anyone recall Trespasser? ;-) If I were you, I'd cancel my
    >>order if possible. If you can read german, check
    >>http://www.boiling-point.net .

    I notice its out in the UK today - if anyone bags it let me know what
    its like

    --
    Byron Hinson
    My Photography

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:04:39 GMT, Byron Hinson <byron@activewin.com>
    wrote:

    >I notice its out in the UK today - if anyone bags it let me know what
    >its like

    That there have been no reviews and no publicity about the game
    doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Paul Moloney wrote:

    > The reviews on the UK PC Gamer forum aren't inspirational, but
    > not totally damming:
    >
    > http://forum.pcgamer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=65689
    >
    > "Received mine on wednesday. It IS surreally broken,
    > in places. It DOES need a patch to fix bugs and
    > annoyances. But crucially, it's also fun, and not terrible.
    > For every bad moment, I'm sure there's a magnificent
    > moment to counter it. Certainly in my short few days
    > with it so far, the good and the freedom has far
    > outweighed the bad and the bugs."
    >
    > "I just bought it, only for the fact that it's surreally broken.
    > Grannies with grenades, a tiger that can leap 100 yards.
    > I installed it, went for a drive, skidded around a roadblock
    > and drove straight through a pitched battle between the
    > mafia and the government."
    >
    > If the company doesn't go under (like Troika) and manages
    > to release a few patches, it may be worth getting.

    Well, this is from the forum of Boiling Point fan site:
    http://www.boiling-point.net/

    A.I.:

    4/10
    Developers know the Problem and I hope for a patch.
    Per day approx. 20-30 Realians die due to car accidents. combat AI is
    better
    than driving AI though. Everybody in Town knows when you have fired a
    weapon,
    even when nobody saw it.

    The World:

    8/10
    A few more animals (deers etc) would have been nice, but all in all the
    world
    is believable and spreads a good atmosphere.

    Vehicles:
    5/10
    Driving feels wrong. Again, this is patchable.

    Graphics:
    8/10
    Over all Graphics are nice. Not compareable to Far Cry, Doom3 etc. of
    course
    but still nice.

    Sound:
    6/10
    Sound effects could be better. Problems with 3D sound.

    Gameplay:
    8-9/10
    Feels like a mixture of Morowind, VTM Bloodlines and Deus Ex. I like
    it.

    Over all:
    6/10

    I would give the game a better rating, but until there is no official
    statement
    regarding a patch I stay hard.

    Do I recomend the game?
    Yes.
    Would I buy it again?
    Yes.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:04:39 GMT, Byron Hinson <byron@activewin.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I notice its out in the UK today - if anyone bags it let me know what
    >> its like
    >
    > That there have been no reviews and no publicity about the game
    > doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.

    The reviews on the UK PC Gamer forum aren't inspirational, but
    not totally damming:

    http://forum.pcgamer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=65689

    "Received mine on wednesday. It IS surreally broken,
    in places. It DOES need a patch to fix bugs and
    annoyances. But crucially, it's also fun, and not terrible.
    For every bad moment, I'm sure there's a magnificent
    moment to counter it. Certainly in my short few days
    with it so far, the good and the freedom has far
    outweighed the bad and the bugs."

    "I just bought it, only for the fact that it's surreally broken.
    Grannies with grenades, a tiger that can leap 100 yards.
    I installed it, went for a drive, skidded around a roadblock
    and drove straight through a pitched battle between the
    mafia and the government."

    If the company doesn't go under (like Troika) and manages
    to release a few patches, it may be worth getting.

    P.

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    mace wrote:

    > Do I recomend the game?
    > Yes.
    > Would I buy it again?
    > Yes.

    now here is an example of a true pc gamer!
    thanks mace

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam