"Boiling Point"...a very interesting looking 'sleeper'

See:-

http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm

(The US link does not work )

Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
Single-player only.

As quoted by "mace" in another thread.... BP seems like a combination
of GTA, the original Deus Ex and Far Cry. The combat element by itself
is highly unlikely to meet the searching standards of this newsgroup,
but the overall game-play satisfaction could be very high. Go-anywhere
gameplay in a 25km x 25km area of a steaming and politically-unstable
tropical country. Multiple vehicles. Game engine designed for seamless
movement throughout the whole area. Main-line story with potentially
hundreds of side-missions. The main-line and the side-missions can be
mixed up at will. Strong non-linear RPG elements - the players actions
will determine the attitudes (and actions) of the NPC groups in the
game.

Hopefully, the initial release will be fairly bug-free. With the vast
play-area, non-linear game-play and huge number of missions, expect to
see a few patches.....Testing this type of game must be a real
nightmare.

John Lewis

x-no-archive: yes

John Lewis wrote:

> Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
> fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
> US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
> Single-player only.

<snip remaining high quality post>

pc only + single-player only + packaged = PC GAME PERFECTION!

lets make boiling point the biggest selling pc game of 2005!

everyone in this group BUY boiling point when released!

long live pc only single player only packaged pc games!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

steamKILLER wrote:

> lets make boiling point the biggest selling pc game of 2005!
>
> everyone in this group BUY boiling point when released!

I trust your judgement, so you buy it and tell us what it's like. If
you give a favourable review I will probably get it too.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 06:01:08 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>See:-
>
>http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm
>
>(The US link does not work )
>
>Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
>fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
>US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
>Single-player only.
>
>As quoted by "mace" in another thread.... BP seems like a combination
>of GTA, the original Deus Ex and Far Cry. The combat element by itself
>is highly unlikely to meet the searching standards of this newsgroup,
>but the overall game-play satisfaction could be very high. Go-anywhere
>gameplay in a 25km x 25km area of a steaming and politically-unstable
>tropical country. Multiple vehicles. Game engine designed for seamless
>movement throughout the whole area. Main-line story with potentially
>hundreds of side-missions. The main-line and the side-missions can be
>mixed up at will. Strong non-linear RPG elements - the players actions
>will determine the attitudes (and actions) of the NPC groups in the
>game.
>
>Hopefully, the initial release will be fairly bug-free. With the vast
>play-area, non-linear game-play and huge number of missions, expect to
>see a few patches.....Testing this type of game must be a real
>nightmare.
>
>John Lewis

The RPG element is about the only thing that doesn't appeal much to
me, but the rest looks so cool. I guess even on the RPG side, the bars
that show your standing with the various groups on the island are
pretty cool. I'm gonna snag this one when I see it and give it a shot
on faith. The freedom to move about makes the game for me.

Here is the site for Boiling Point. http://www.boiling-point.net/ It
looks pretty good. My favorite genre is the FPS SciFi Horror...wish
there were more. I am a hard core Half Life person. Don't have HL2
yet..waiting for my kids to give it to me for my B'day..Valve's HL2
Silver. After all, how many games did I buy for them when they were
growing up! I just started playing HL about a year ago and got hooked.
Now I am playing every single mod I can find.
I have a hard time with FPS that have to do with war. I lived thru Viet
Nam and it was so horrific. Just can't make a fun game out of anything
that is too close to real life. Maybe I will give this one a try.

On 13 May 2005 00:33:42 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
>> fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
>> US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
>> Single-player only.
>
><snip remaining high quality post>
>
>pc only + single-player only + packaged = PC GAME PERFECTION!
>
>lets make boiling point the biggest selling pc game of 2005!
>
>everyone in this group BUY boiling point when released!

So you are going to buy it on the day of release ?
....even if it turns out to be a dog ?? If you are not willing to put
your money where your mouth is, then PLEASE refrain from
cluttering this thread with your purchasing advice.

The thread was started by me to stimulate useful discussion about the
game itself, not to provide another avenue for one of your irrelevant
diatribes.

To others reading this thread, please ignore "sayNo2's postings,
unless they specifically address Boiling Point and its
GAMING features.

John Lewis

>long live pc only single player only packaged pc games!
>
>--
>post made in a steam-free computer
>i said "NO" to valve and steam

You're a Vietnam vet?

--
Remove nospam to email
"ivorybow" <ivorybow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here is the site for Boiling Point. http://www.boiling-point.net/ It
> looks pretty good. My favorite genre is the FPS SciFi Horror...wish
> there were more. I am a hard core Half Life person. Don't have HL2
> yet..waiting for my kids to give it to me for my B'day..Valve's HL2
> Silver. After all, how many games did I buy for them when they were
> growing up! I just started playing HL about a year ago and got hooked.
> Now I am playing every single mod I can find.
> I have a hard time with FPS that have to do with war. I lived thru Viet
> Nam and it was so horrific. Just can't make a fun game out of anything
> that is too close to real life. Maybe I will give this one a try.

Toby

On 2005-05-13, John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
> To others reading this thread, please ignore "sayNo2's postings,

Please take your own advice and KF him.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

You asked..."You're a Vietnam vet?"
In a way. I graduated high school when the Viet Nam war was in full
swing. A boy I was dating was killed, shot down when he was descending
on a parachute. Many of my high school buddies were lost. I have a
family member who came back so deeply traumatized he has never been the
same. My first husband had agent orange poisoning and ended up in
lifetime care and was mentally injured. So, that war has such a horror
for me, I can't make a game out of real war situations. But demons?
Bring 'em on!

x-no-archive: yes

hl2 features a against consumer rights technology called steam
which should not be accepted by any pc gamer with a minimum iq

--

On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:20:56 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The RPG element is about the only thing that doesn't appeal much to
>me, but the rest looks so cool. I guess even on the RPG side, the bars
>that show your standing with the various groups on the island are
>pretty cool. I'm gonna snag this one when I see it and give it a shot
>on faith. The freedom to move about makes the game for me.

Unfortunately, those that have seen preview (not final) code have been
underwhelmed by the fighting-AI. Open-space play gives AI unique
challenges, so if FPS-action is what you really enjoy most and not
exploration/RPG, I would suggest avoiding purchase until after real
user-reviews of the release-version and see whether any serious
problems still exist with the AI. If so, I suggest that you wait for
patches that address the issues and not have a disappointing
purchasing experience. Of course, there is a Catch 22 here --- the
more people that buy the game, the more likely high-quality effort
will be put into patches. (c.f: The sad state of Tribes: Vengeances
where VU pulled the plug on patches, due to very poor sales ) There
was also some comments about poor vehicle-handling in the BP preview
code, but problems here will be easier to rectify with patches than
any AI fixes.

John Lewis

shawk

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Chadwick wrote:
>
>> I trust your judgement, so you buy it and tell us what it's like.
>> If you give a favourable review I will probably get it too.
>
> that's a big vote of confidence in my capabilities coming
> from someone i see as the "enemy"
> i fell flattered and hope not disappoint although you must
> realize our gameplay tastes are very different
> you are stealth/tactical oriented and i'm more old school
> id style fps...

....who is winding up who here? ;-)

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 07:20:56 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The RPG element is about the only thing that doesn't appeal much to
>>me, but the rest looks so cool. I guess even on the RPG side, the bars
>>that show your standing with the various groups on the island are
>>pretty cool. I'm gonna snag this one when I see it and give it a shot
>>on faith. The freedom to move about makes the game for me.
>>

> Unfortunately, those that have seen preview (not final) code have been
> underwhelmed by the fighting-AI. Open-space play gives AI unique
> challenges, so if FPS-action is what you really enjoy most and not
> exploration/RPG, I would suggest avoiding purchase until after real
> user-reviews of the release-version and see whether any serious
> problems still exist with the AI. If so, I suggest that you wait for
> patches that address the issues and not have a disappointing
> purchasing experience. Of course, there is a Catch 22 here --- the
> more people that buy the game, the more likely high-quality effort
> will be put into patches. (c.f: The sad state of Tribes: Vengeances
> where VU pulled the plug on patches, due to very poor sales ) There
> was also some comments about poor vehicle-handling in the BP preview
> code, but problems here will be easier to rectify with patches than
> any AI fixes.
>
> John Lewis

The fighting in Deus Ex was underwhelming and the animation of the soldiers
'moonwalking' as they shot at you is a joke but it didnt stop the game being
great.
Yeah - I reckon this is one to look out for.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

> See:-
>
> http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm
>
> (The US link does not work )
>
> Due to be released in the US on May 24 without any significant
> fanfare.... Cross-genre FPS-RPG--Adventure. Ukranian developer.
> US distribution by Atari. DVD only, PC only, $39.99, Mature Rating.
> Single-player only.
>
> As quoted by "mace" in another thread.... BP seems like a combination
> of GTA, the original Deus Ex and Far Cry. The combat element by itself
> is highly unlikely to meet the searching standards of this newsgroup,
> but the overall game-play satisfaction could be very high. Go-anywhere
> gameplay in a 25km x 25km area of a steaming and politically-unstable
> tropical country. Multiple vehicles. Game engine designed for seamless
> movement throughout the whole area. Main-line story with potentially
> hundreds of side-missions. The main-line and the side-missions can be
> mixed up at will. Strong non-linear RPG elements - the players actions
> will determine the attitudes (and actions) of the NPC groups in the
> game.
>
> Hopefully, the initial release will be fairly bug-free. With the vast
> play-area, non-linear game-play and huge number of missions, expect to
> see a few patches.....Testing this type of game must be a real
> nightmare.
>
> John Lewis

Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.

> hl2 features a against consumer rights technology called steam
> which should not be accepted by any pc gamer with a minimum iq

What's your IQ, btw?
And who determines the minimum IQ necessary to be a bona fide PC gamer ?

Does it never occur to you why all the other kids take the piss out of you ?

Andrew

On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:26:00 GMT, "TheLoanArranger"
<somewhere@wallawallawalla.com> wrote:

>> hl2 features a against consumer rights technology called steam
>> which should not be accepted by any pc gamer with a minimum iq
>>

>What's your IQ, btw?
>And who determines the minimum IQ necessary to be a bona fide PC gamer ?

For the first time ever sayno2sanity has something correct. He has put
himself in the minimum IQ bracket.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:14:49 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
>do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.

Not really. There is a FAQ on the subject ( Don't remember the URL)
I believe that the area is cut up into overlapping small squares and
anticipatory data loads of all areas adjacent to the player occur in
the background using spare CPU cycles when nothing else much is
happening -- this scheme would break nastily if transport across the
terrain was by teleportation or jet-aircraft.... However, (afair) a
Cessna or helicopter are the fastest means of player-transport in the
game.. .. probably a deliberately-planned technical limitation, and
very acceptable within the "3rd-world-country" context of this game.

It will be interesting to see whether the "seamless-terrain" ever
breaks down (more likely betrayed by frame-rate stutters than loss of
scenery detail) when there is lots of movement combined
with action.

John Lewis

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:14:49 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
>

>>Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
>>do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.
>>

> Not really. There is a FAQ on the subject ( Don't remember the URL)
> I believe that the area is cut up into overlapping small squares and
> anticipatory data loads of all areas adjacent to the player occur in
> the background using spare CPU cycles when nothing else much is
> happening -- this scheme would break nastily if transport across the
> terrain was by teleportation or jet-aircraft.... However, (afair) a
> Cessna or helicopter are the fastest means of player-transport in the
> game.. .. probably a deliberately-planned technical limitation, and
> very acceptable within the "3rd-world-country" context of this game.
>
> It will be interesting to see whether the "seamless-terrain" ever
> breaks down (more likely betrayed by frame-rate stutters than loss of
> scenery detail) when there is lots of movement combined
> with action.
>
> John Lewis

Something like Morrowind?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:45:25 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:14:49 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Rec specs are 1.8ghz CPU, 512mb RAM and Geforce 4 and they mean to
>>>do a 25mk square area with seamless loading on that ? Curious.
>>>

>> Not really. There is a FAQ on the subject ( Don't remember the URL)
>> I believe that the area is cut up into overlapping small squares and
>> anticipatory data loads of all areas adjacent to the player occur in
>> the background using spare CPU cycles when nothing else much is
>> happening -- this scheme would break nastily if transport across the
>> terrain was by teleportation or jet-aircraft.... However, (afair) a
>> Cessna or helicopter are the fastest means of player-transport in the
>> game.. .. probably a deliberately-planned technical limitation, and
>> very acceptable within the "3rd-world-country" context of this game.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see whether the "seamless-terrain" ever
>> breaks down (more likely betrayed by frame-rate stutters than loss of
>> scenery detail) when there is lots of movement combined
>> with action.
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

>Something like Morrowind?

Even on the fastest processors, the tile-loading in Morrowind
is painfully obvious...the Boiling Point system is claimed by the
developers to be entirely seamless. No such claim for Morrowind
has been ever made by Bethesda. Hopefully Oblivion, Bethesda's
next title will have addressed the terrain-loading problem so obvious
with Morrowind. Anyway, if Boiling Point's system really works,
Bethesda will have plenty of time to dissect the design and learn
from it before Oblivion ships.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm

I love the movie of this game shown on the current
UK PC Gamer DVD. However, it's seemingly
quite buggy. I hope the publisher isn't tempted
to do a "Bloodlines" (rush a brilliant but flawed
game out the door without proper bugfixing, leaving
the few who buy it and appreciate it, despite the frustrations,
to wonder what might have been if they'd spent time polishing
it up).

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."

On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:24:16 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> http://www.atari.com/boilingpoint/uk/home.htm
>
>I love the movie of this game shown on the current
>UK PC Gamer DVD. However, it's seemingly
>quite buggy. I hope the publisher isn't tempted
>to do a "Bloodlines" (rush a brilliant but flawed
>game out the door without proper bugfixing, leaving
>the few who buy it and appreciate it, despite the frustrations,
>to wonder what might have been if they'd spent time polishing
>it up).

Agreed.... deja-vu of several of my own past experiences. You
could not have said it better........... I share your concerns too...
The release in the US has been very quiet indeed, and seems to be just
the UK DVD re-released here, nothing especially tweaked for the US
market...not at all a good omen....

From the reports of an earlier build, I expect the encounter-AI to be
not at all up to par with the best action games (at least without
further patching), so the game is likely to be a great disappointment
for those that love pure shooters. And for those who worship daily at
the graphics altar (regardless of game-play), I also advise not
pre-ordering this game. I have not seen the specs yet, but
horror-of-horrors, it might only need DX8 (or greater) compatibility..
However, for me, if the RPG elements and story-line are up to par,
the graphics not too bad, and any game-play bugs are minor ( or
quickly-patched) then I shall probably find the game very enjoyable.

I have pre-ordered the game, breaking several of my cardinal rules
about game-purchases ( read user-reviews, wait for bug-fixes, wait for
sale-prices, view demo ), but I feel that this adventurous developer
deserves some financial reward, so a small chunk of what I pay may
help contribute to bug-fixes.... or Boiling Point 2. Consider it a
totally--stupid charitable-contribution if you wish. At least I am
only potentially losing $39.99 instead of the $54.99 wasted on that
boring warmed-over gameplay called Doom3...... or selling my soul (at
that same price) to Valve/Steam.

John Lewis

>P.
>
>--
>-pm
>
>http://oceanclub.blogspot.com
>
>"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
>to send back soup in a deli."

x-no-archive: yes

John Lewis wrote:

> I have pre-ordered the game, breaking several of my cardinal rules

john you gave me the only good news i read in this group today

> sale-prices, view demo ), but I feel that this adventurous developer
> deserves some financial reward, so a small chunk of what I pay may

totally agree with you
they deserve it and its no favour cause what they are doing
is for the good of us all pc gamers!

> totally--stupid charitable-contribution if you wish. At least I am

no charity john but rather paying for your favorite hobby

> only potentially losing $39.99 instead of the $54.99 wasted on that

no matter what, buying pc games is never wasted money never!

> boring warmed-over gameplay called Doom3...... or selling my soul (at
> that same price) to Valve/Steam.

exactly! valve/steam never! NEVER!

in a time were this group faces so many attacks your posts
john are the few positive things in this group...
thanks

--

On 19 May 2005 01:30:01 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> I have pre-ordered the game, breaking several of my cardinal rules
>
>john you gave me the only good news i read in this group today
>
>> sale-prices, view demo ), but I feel that this adventurous developer
>> deserves some financial reward, so a small chunk of what I pay may
>
>totally agree with you
>they deserve it and its no favour cause what they are doing
>is for the good of us all pc gamers!
>
>> totally--stupid charitable-contribution if you wish. At least I am
>
>no charity john but rather paying for your favorite hobby
>
>> only potentially losing $39.99 instead of the $54.99 wasted on that
>
>no matter what, buying pc games is never wasted money never!

And you are also putting your money where your mouth is ??

You want to reward the developer and you have pre-ordered
Boiling-Point too ?? Oh, how wonderful !!!

I believe that it is released where you live a couple of days
ahead of me, so I shall appreciate your first impressions.
Don't forget to post them here on Saturday or Sunday. I
shall be looking for them.

Thanks,

John Lewis

> You want to reward the developer and you have pre-ordered
> Boiling-Point too ?? Oh, how wonderful !!!
>
> I believe that it is released where you live a couple of days
> ahead of me, so I shall appreciate your first impressions.
> Don't forget to post them here on Saturday or Sunday. I
> shall be looking for them.

After all that I've read about BP on the german forums (it's already
been released here), you shouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.
From what I read, it's very buggy and people agree that it's a real
stinker. Does anyone recall Trespasser? ;-) If I were you, I'd cancel my
order if possible. If you can read german, check
http://www.boiling-point.net .

Regards,

Michael

On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:09:21 +0200, Michael Schwind
<michael.schwind@web.de> wrote:

>After all that I've read about BP on the german forums (it's already
>been released here), you shouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.
> From what I read, it's very buggy and people agree that it's a real
>stinker. Does anyone recall Trespasser? ;-) If I were you, I'd cancel my
>order if possible. If you can read german, check
>http://www.boiling-point.net .

Thanks so much for the warnings.

I have read all the English comments on the site. Works quite well for
some, awful for others. The developers are still staying in business
and not disbanding ( unlike Ion Storm after DX2 ) and are planning the
development of a modern version of the classic space-RPG "Elite",
including player-guided planet landings with grav effects and planet
exploration like Elite and Elite 2. So I am somewhat optimistic that
patches will be forthcoming... It is both in the developers' and
Infogrames financial interest - the game is different enough to
develop a cult-following, like Far Cry, Deus Ex etc...--- IF IT IS
PATCHED ACCEPTABLY and fairly quickly !!

I shall continue with my charitable giving to BP's game-developers who
were willing to take the risk with something challengingly different.
And, maybe I shall be pleasantly surprised with its performance and
enjoyment-factor on my system.

John Lewis