Good news: Ghost Recon 3 apparently will be

1. first person again
2. take place in mostly urban settings

Jonah Falcon

Andrew

On Fri, 13 May 2005 23:00:17 GMT, "miket6065"
<miket6065@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I thought it was cancelled??

2 was cancelled on the PC, now they have the nerve to announce 3 for
the PC.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:30:23 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Good news: Ghost Recon 3 apparently will be
>
>1. first person again
>2. take place in mostly urban settings
>
>Jonah Falcon

Here we go again......

Like Doom3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell(3), HL2....take an original
game-idea and milk it to death for more $$........to please the
bean-counters, company principals and short-term stockholders...how
sad. US developers ( or the US studios of international companies) now
constitute the majority of culprits. To survive in this business, a
reasonable mix of innovation with stable fare is essential.....but the
total lack of gaming innovation at so-called leaders in the industry
(such as Id ) has become scandalous.

Such caution must be an after-shock of the US tech stock-market
crash. For those of us in the US, a disturbing trend in
computer/console gaming is the rapid increase in new gaming ideas and
supporting technologies from developers in Europe, Japan, former
Iron-Curtain countries.

John Lewis

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:30:23 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Good news: Ghost Recon 3 apparently will be
> >
> >1. first person again
> >2. take place in mostly urban settings
> >
> >Jonah Falcon
> >

> Here we go again......
>
> Like Doom3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell(3), HL2....take an original
> game-idea and milk it to death for more $$........to please the
> bean-counters, company principals and short-term stockholders...how
> sad. US developers ( or the US studios of international companies) now
> constitute the majority of culprits. To survive in this business, a
> reasonable mix of innovation with stable fare is essential.....but the
> total lack of gaming innovation at so-called leaders in the industry
> (such as Id ) has become scandalous.
>
> Such caution must be an after-shock of the US tech stock-market
> crash. For those of us in the US, a disturbing trend in
> computer/console gaming is the rapid increase in new gaming ideas and
> supporting technologies from developers in Europe, Japan, former
> Iron-Curtain countries.
>
> John Lewis

You may be on to something. What are some of your fav euro games that
include these "good ideas"?

x-no-archive: yes

Andrew wrote:

that was exactly what i felt when i heard the news
its really despicable what ubisoft did with ghost recon 2
but there is reasons why it happen and we must think about
them and act so in the future it will not happen again

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 23:00:17 GMT, "miket6065"
> <miket6065@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>I thought it was cancelled??
>

> 2 was cancelled on the PC, now they have the nerve to announce 3 for
> the PC.

Well it's kind of hard to cancel Ghost Recon 3 for the PC later if they
don't announce it now, right? Geez, give them a break already...

JoeSmooth wrote:
> "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:30:23 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
>><jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Good news: Ghost Recon 3 apparently will be
>>>
>>>1. first person again
>>>2. take place in mostly urban settings
>>>
>>>Jonah Falcon
>>>

>>Here we go again......
>>
>>Like Doom3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell(3), HL2....take an original
>>game-idea and milk it to death for more $$........to please the
>>bean-counters, company principals and short-term stockholders...how
>>sad. US developers ( or the US studios of international companies) now
>>constitute the majority of culprits. To survive in this business, a
>>reasonable mix of innovation with stable fare is essential.....but the
>>total lack of gaming innovation at so-called leaders in the industry
>>(such as Id ) has become scandalous.
>>
>>Such caution must be an after-shock of the US tech stock-market
>>crash. For those of us in the US, a disturbing trend in
>>computer/console gaming is the rapid increase in new gaming ideas and
>>supporting technologies from developers in Europe, Japan, former
>>Iron-Curtain countries.
>>
>>John Lewis
>>

> You may be on to something. What are some of your fav euro games that
> include these "good ideas"?

I'll answer that for him. Off the top of my head I can think of three:
1. Far Cry
2. Far Cry
3. Far Cry

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:36:04 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:30:23 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
>> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Good news: Ghost Recon 3 apparently will be
>> >
>> >1. first person again
>> >2. take place in mostly urban settings
>> >
>> >Jonah Falcon
>> >

>> Here we go again......
>>
>> Like Doom3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell(3), HL2....take an original
>> game-idea and milk it to death for more $$........to please the
>> bean-counters, company principals and short-term stockholders...how
>> sad. US developers ( or the US studios of international companies) now
>> constitute the majority of culprits. To survive in this business, a
>> reasonable mix of innovation with stable fare is essential.....but the
>> total lack of gaming innovation at so-called leaders in the industry
>> (such as Id ) has become scandalous.
>>
>> Such caution must be an after-shock of the US tech stock-market
>> crash. For those of us in the US, a disturbing trend in
>> computer/console gaming is the rapid increase in new gaming ideas and
>> supporting technologies from developers in Europe, Japan, former
>> Iron-Curtain countries.
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

>You may be on to something. What are some of your fav euro games that
>include these "good ideas"?

A very small sampling from Europe..........

Operation Flashpoint (Czech)
Far Cry (Germany)
'Battlefield' series (Sweden)
Mafia (Czech)
Vietcong (Czech)
Hidden and Dangerous 1 & 2 (Czech)
Gothic 1 & 2 (German)
Broken Sword series ( UK)
Max Payne 1 & 2 (Finland)
Beyond Good and Evil (French)
Serious Sam (Croatia)

..... thinking about the last two, I should have added "great fun
elements" ( instead of dingy corridors and depressing monsters )
to my "good ideas" statement

John Lewis

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:36:04 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>

> >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message

> >> Here we go again......
> >>
> >> Like Doom3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell(3), HL2....take an original
> >> game-idea and milk it to death for more $$........to please the
> >> bean-counters, company principals and short-term stockholders...how
> >> sad. US developers ( or the US studios of international companies) now
> >> constitute the majority of culprits. To survive in this business, a
> >> reasonable mix of innovation with stable fare is essential.....but the
> >> total lack of gaming innovation at so-called leaders in the industry
> >> (such as Id ) has become scandalous.
> >>
> >> Such caution must be an after-shock of the US tech stock-market
> >> crash. For those of us in the US, a disturbing trend in
> >> computer/console gaming is the rapid increase in new gaming ideas and
> >> supporting technologies from developers in Europe, Japan, former
> >> Iron-Curtain countries.
> >>
> >> John Lewis
> >>

> >You may be on to something. What are some of your fav euro games that
> >include these "good ideas"?
> >

> A very small sampling from Europe..........
>
> Operation Flashpoint (Czech)
> Far Cry (Germany)
> 'Battlefield' series (Sweden)
> Mafia (Czech)
> Vietcong (Czech)
> Hidden and Dangerous 1 & 2 (Czech)
> Gothic 1 & 2 (German)
> Broken Sword series ( UK)
> Max Payne 1 & 2 (Finland)
> Beyond Good and Evil (French)
> Serious Sam (Croatia)

That's quite a list. I've played about half and I see your point inovation
verses cranking out sequals for profit, which doesn't have to mean that
innovation stops but it often does.

Black & White, Hitman, and the GTA series stand out for me as games that (at
least originally) tried new things, but not sure who created them.

> .... thinking about the last two, I should have added "great fun
> elements" ( instead of dingy corridors and depressing monsters )
> to my "good ideas" statement
>
> John Lewis

Andrew

On Sat, 14 May 2005 09:22:54 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

>Black & White, Hitman, and the GTA series stand out for me as games that (at
>least originally) tried new things, but not sure who created them.

B&W and GTA are UK AFAIK (European only by unfortunate accident of
geography), a brief search for Hitman looks like it is Danish.

"non_sequitur" <non_sequitur@att.com> wrote in message
> JoeSmooth wrote:
>> "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>>Here we go again......
>>>
>>>Like Doom3, Quake 4, Splinter Cell(3), HL2....take an original
>>>game-idea and milk it to death for more $$........to please the
>>>bean-counters, company principals and short-term stockholders...how
>>>sad. US developers ( or the US studios of international companies) now
>>>constitute the majority of culprits. To survive in this business, a
>>>reasonable mix of innovation with stable fare is essential.....but the
>>>total lack of gaming innovation at so-called leaders in the industry
>>>(such as Id ) has become scandalous.
>>>
>>>Such caution must be an after-shock of the US tech stock-market
>>>crash. For those of us in the US, a disturbing trend in
>>>computer/console gaming is the rapid increase in new gaming ideas and
>>>supporting technologies from developers in Europe, Japan, former
>>>Iron-Curtain countries.
>>>
>>>John Lewis
>>>

>> You may be on to something. What are some of your fav euro games that
>> include these "good ideas"?
>>

> I'll answer that for him. Off the top of my head I can think of three:
> 1. Far Cry
> 2. Far Cry
> 3. Far Cry

1. Overrated
2. Overrated
3. Overrated

I can't believe the idiotic negativity on the NG. If and when Ghost Recon 3
is released, you'll either buy it and love it, or not buy it and trash it
without having touched it.

Jonah Falcon

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:08:32 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I can't believe the idiotic negativity on the NG. If and when Ghost Recon 3
>is released, you'll either buy it and love it, or not buy it and trash it
>without having touched it.

Mirror-mirror on the wall....

Maybe it is that your constant support for warmed-over gaming ideas
turns the rest of us on this newsgroup cold. Too much console-itis
stunts the brain-cells.

John Lewis

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 09:22:54 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>
> >Black & White, Hitman, and the GTA series stand out for me as games that
(at
> >least originally) tried new things, but not sure who created them.
>
> B&W and GTA are UK AFAIK (European only by unfortunate accident of
> geography), a brief search for Hitman looks like it is Danish.

Well, at least we still make the best cars.

(snort)

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:18:28 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 09:22:54 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>>
>> >Black & White, Hitman, and the GTA series stand out for me as games that
>(at
>> >least originally) tried new things, but not sure who created them.
>>
>> B&W and GTA are UK AFAIK (European only by unfortunate accident of
>> geography), a brief search for Hitman looks like it is Danish.
>
>Well, at least we still make the best cars.

I didn't know that you were Japanese or Korean ( if you call
reliability "best"--- see Consumer Reports )

John Lewis

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:08:32 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

>>I can't believe the idiotic negativity on the NG. If and when Ghost Recon
>>3
>>is released, you'll either buy it and love it, or not buy it and trash it
>>without having touched it.
>>

> Mirror-mirror on the wall....
>
> Maybe it is that your constant support for warmed-over gaming ideas
> turns the rest of us on this newsgroup cold. Too much console-itis
> stunts the brain-cells.

What do you know about warmth, you corpse?

Jonah Falcon

On Sun, 15 May 2005 07:20:03 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:08:32 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
>> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I can't believe the idiotic negativity on the NG. If and when Ghost Recon
>>>3
>>>is released, you'll either buy it and love it, or not buy it and trash it
>>>without having touched it.
>>>

>> Mirror-mirror on the wall....
>>
>> Maybe it is that your constant support for warmed-over gaming ideas
>> turns the rest of us on this newsgroup cold. Too much console-itis
>> stunts the brain-cells.
>
>What do you know about warmth, you corpse?

Bad choice of epithets. By your words you have liberated my spirit to
haunt you eternally....at least on this newsgroup. Better have the KF
button ready :) :)

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

>>Well, at least we still make the best cars.
>>
> I didn't know that you were Japanese or Korean ( if you call
> reliability "best"--- see Consumer Reports )

In your face:

World Car of the Year 2005 Awards
http://www.wcoty.com/html/winners.html

1. Audi A6 (Germany)
2. Volvo S40/V50 (Sweden/Norway?)
3. Porsche 911 (Germany)

No Asian cars in the top ten.

Dennis

"Dennis Schamne" <schamne@despammed.com> wrote in message
> John Lewis wrote:
>
>>>Well, at least we still make the best cars.
>>>
>> I didn't know that you were Japanese or Korean ( if you call
>> reliability "best"--- see Consumer Reports )
>
> In your face:
>
> World Car of the Year 2005 Awards
> http://www.wcoty.com/html/winners.html
>
> 1. Audi A6 (Germany)
> 2. Volvo S40/V50 (Sweden/Norway?)
> 3. Porsche 911 (Germany)
>
> No Asian cars in the top ten.
>
> Dennis

thats not the top 3 in the link you posted.

> On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:18:28 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>

> >"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

> >(at
> >>
> >> B&W and GTA are UK AFAIK (European only by unfortunate accident of
> >> geography), a brief search for Hitman looks like it is Danish.
> >
> >Well, at least we still make the best cars.
> >

> I didn't know that you were Japanese or Korean ( if you call
> reliability "best"--- see Consumer Reports )

"(snort)" was to indicate sarcasm. For good price and reliability, the
Japanese seem to be the champs.

Les Steel wrote:

> thats not the top 3 in the link you posted.

The list is not sorted. You have to look at the weighted totals on the
right.

Dennis

On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:05:08 +0200, Dennis Schamne
<schamne@despammed.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>>>Well, at least we still make the best cars.
>>>
>> I didn't know that you were Japanese or Korean ( if you call
>> reliability "best"--- see Consumer Reports )
>
>In your face:
>
>World Car of the Year 2005 Awards
>http://www.wcoty.com/html/winners.html
>
>1. Audi A6 (Germany)
>2. Volvo S40/V50 (Sweden/Norway?)
>3. Porsche 911 (Germany)
>
>No Asian cars in the top ten.

Car of the Year <<2005>> axiomatically make no statement about
RELIABILITY.

Obviously you must be rich enough to trade-in all your cars before
the manufacturer's warranty runs out.

Otherwise, best of luck with the service bills... especially Audi and
Porsche..

Me, I just like to have reliable transport. I am well past the
teenage-mental stage of confusing cars with extensions to ego or
subliminal phallic symbols.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> Car of the Year <<2005>> axiomatically make no statement about
> RELIABILITY.

RELIABILITY isn't everything on a car.

> Obviously you must be rich enough to trade-in all your cars before
> the manufacturer's warranty runs out.

No, but I'm buying used cars that are reliable, not too expensive but still
comfortable and fun to drive - like my '94 "Audi 100 quattro".

Dennis