DI-604 router/firewall: how to enable steam for more than ..

Last response: in Video Games
May 14, 2005 4:23:54 AM

This might be a stupid question, but at least it's a PC gaming question. I
had to setup several rules to be able to use steam and play certain games
(for example, Enemy Territory) on line via Charter cable. All these rules
seem to forward certain port/protocol requests to my system's LAN IP. But
now I want to create or modify these rules so my brother can play these same
games on his rig, which has a different LAN IP. According to the DI-604 docs
I've read you can't open ports that don't go to a specific LAN address
because of NAT and you can't open ports to a range of LAN IP addresses. So,
we're just assed out? There's no way for both of us to access the same games
on-line through the DI-604 router? I guess I could put his rig on the DMZ,
but that probably wouldn't be a good idea would it?

Both of us also have legal copies of Steam, er Half Life 2.

--
Remove nospam to email
Anonymous

x-no-archive: yes

Doug wrote:

> This might be a stupid question, but at least it's a PC

stupid is you accepting steam!
why all these headaches for a damn game featuring a abusive
and against consumer rights technology?
don't you see you have a world of titles at your disposal to
choose and play against with your brother!
open your eyes and stop being brainwashed by valve!

> Both of us also have legal copies of Steam, er Half Life 2.

i wouldn't flame you if you said otherwise...
yes in this specific case i feel valve and steam makes you do
illegal activities so i don't condemn any pc gamer actually
doing it with steam infected games

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Doug wrote:
>
>> Both of us also have legal copies of Steam, er Half Life 2.
>
> i wouldn't flame you if you said otherwise...
> yes in this specific case i feel valve and steam makes you do
> illegal activities so i don't condemn any pc gamer actually
> doing it with steam infected games

A true gamer would not condone piracy in any form...

Doug - sorry - no idea. Tried AGHL?
May 14, 2005 4:20:47 PM

"Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
news:p Ihhe.12387$sV7.8626@fe02.lga...
> This might be a stupid question, but at least it's a PC gaming question. I
> had to setup several rules to be able to use steam and play certain games
> (for example, Enemy Territory) on line via Charter cable. All these rules
> seem to forward certain port/protocol requests to my system's LAN IP. But
> now I want to create or modify these rules so my brother can play these
> same games on his rig, which has a different LAN IP. According to the
> DI-604 docs I've read you can't open ports that don't go to a specific LAN
> address because of NAT and you can't open ports to a range of LAN IP
> addresses. So, we're just assed out? There's no way for both of us to
> access the same games on-line through the DI-604 router? I guess I could
> put his rig on the DMZ, but that probably wouldn't be a good idea would
> it?
>
> Both of us also have legal copies of Steam, er Half Life 2.
>
> --
> Remove nospam to email

I have a Linksys, and it is pretty much plug and play.

However, it wouldn't hurt to put your other PC in the DMZ while you're
online. As long as you've got virus protection, I wouldn't worry too much
about it.

However, you might want to consider upgrading your router if you can afford
it to a Linksys or the new D-Link DGL-4300.

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370

Buy it here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

Otherwise a newer router may solve your headaches.
May 14, 2005 8:23:44 PM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:23:54 -0700, "Doug" <pigdos@nospamcharter.net>
wrote:

>This might be a stupid question, but at least it's a PC gaming question. I
>had to setup several rules to be able to use steam and play certain games
>(for example, Enemy Territory) on line via Charter cable. All these rules
>seem to forward certain port/protocol requests to my system's LAN IP.

I don't have that router, but it sounds odd that you have to use port
forwarding if you just want to connect to games. Port forwarding is
normally only for running servers behind a NAT router, if you have two
client machines NAT handles the routing requests automatically so you
can run both the machines online at the same time.
May 14, 2005 8:23:45 PM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:23:44 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>I don't have that router, but it sounds odd that you have to use port
>forwarding if you just want to connect to games. Port forwarding is
>normally only for running servers behind a NAT router, if you have two
>client machines NAT handles the routing requests automatically so you
>can run both the machines online at the same time.

Yea, and that's how the DI-604 works. I have the DI-604 too and it is
the No. 1 router bought at NCIX, not saying it's the best, just most
popular. I have never tried to connect to a MP game with both PC's at
the same time though so don't know what the OP's issue really is. You
don't have to manually do port forwarding for MP gaming but there is a
setting for gaming mode and I do have that enabled. I just set up a
Lynksys router at a friend's place and I didn't see any option for a
gaming mode on it nor did I see how it would be any better than the
DI-604 for MP gaming. The configuration of the Lynksys seemed prettty
much the same with a couple of minor differences, like allowing
stealthing of IDENT port 113. Port scan on DI-604 shows as closed and
not stealthed but then you would need to unstealth it on the Lynksys
if you do IRC. Sorry for going OT. :-)
!