BSOD - Updated BIOS - Windows doesn't load

Flomer

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hi,

I've been running my system since August with out any problems, however today I decided to download MSI Live Update since I've never update anything on the motherboard before (except for the GPU driver). So I checked the boxes to update the BIOS, Audio driver and ethernet and I pressed "Total Installer". I got a message that everything went well and that I had to restart my computer which I did. But as my computer is starting again and is about to load into Windows a quick bluescreen pops up and then the computer shuts down itself. I then tried to start the computer again but I get the same problem. Is there any way to resolve this?

Best Regards,

Jon

Specs:
Fractal Design Define R3, Svart
MSI P67A-GD65 Socket 1155, P67, ATX B3
TFT Samsung 24'' S24A350B LED HDMI, Analog Glossy
HD1TB Samsung SP SATA-2 7200RPM Spinpoint F3
CPU Core i5 2500K
Corsair 8GB (KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/VENGEAN/1,5VBLUE
SSD 120GB Corsair SATA 2.5", Force 3 Series
GK PCIe KFA2 GF GTX 560Ti EX OC
PSU Corsair HX 650W 80+, Modulära kabla
DVD±RW Samsung 22X DL Sva rt, Bulk, SH-222AB/BEBE
Kbl HDMI-DVI ha-ha 2 m CA9231520
Windows®7 Home Swe 64-bit Single OEI, SP1

Solution
Check the Bios to make sure how the SATA configuration is set. My guess is thaty it was set to ACHI and when you updated the BIOS it defaulted to IDE. Change it back to ACHI save and reboot.

deerhound

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Check the Bios to make sure how the SATA configuration is set. My guess is thaty it was set to ACHI and when you updated the BIOS it defaulted to IDE. Change it back to ACHI save and reboot.

Solution

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I have the same board and I haven't had any problems with the EFI firmware except for a bug where USB would fail to initialize if my SideWinder X4 was plugged in. I called them and within 24 hours, they gave me a beta firmware to fix it. What firmware revision did you flash? I'm running 1.J (1.19) dated 3/7/12 which is actually a later version than they have on their website which is 1.I (1.18). I really don't trust a software flasher like Live Update. I use the M-flash tool in the firmware itself to do the updating and I've never had a problem with a bad flash. One thing I do notice on this board is that an EFI change will reset you to defaults, so you may want to check that your SATA controller is still in AHCI mode if it was before.

EDIT: One trick I've learned with this board is that you can actually use the overclocking profiles to preserve your whole configuration, not just overclocking settings. It will preserve VT-x settings, PCI latency, HPET, boot priority, SATA mode, RAID, ACPI settings, all sorts of stuff.

Flomer

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Correct!