twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I'm building a new system based on the Athlon 2200. My main uses for this system will be:

encoding Divx from DVD's
playing graphic intense games

Will 256mbs of DDR333 suffice, or will I be better off with 384? 512?

My knee jerk reaction is simply this: OF COURES MORE IS BETTER!

but... when I upgraded my lowly 128mbs of SDRAM on my P3 450 system to 384, I barely noticed much of a performance change- at least in games. So, I guess what I am getting at is: what sorts of applications are RAM intensive and what aren't? I know more ram will help, but how much?

I won't be running 17 programs at the same time... so that won't be an issue. I just don't want 256MBs of RAM to be the bottle neck of my system. FYI I plan on getting an nforce2 M/B and a GF4 4200.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Nathan

It's as simple as this. If you're in the habit of going over 256MB of RAM usage, get 512MB. If not, don't.

Don't add RAM to get the RAM you already have going faster. Doesn't work that way. If you're using say more than 200MB of your RAM on a regular basis, or the swapfile is regularly <b>in use</b>, then get more.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
To avoid swapping, I wouldn't take any chance and go now with 512. I've got an nForce mobo on one PC with two 256Mb DDR266 Crucial modules in TwinBank configuration and it's fast. Of course, one 512Mb module might also be as fast on another chipset, but I wouldn't know. But since you're about to get an nForce2, you'd be better off with two 256Mb modules (for 512M) in TwinBank config, hoping that the MCH of nForce2 is better than the first gen.

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
If you're going to be doing encoding and stuff like that get 512 and it'll make the process a lot faster. It's not that much extra anyways.

Cooj

I repaeat myself in contradiction to the last two posts. If you<b> regularly</b> go over the 256MB mark of memory use, or find yourself <b>regularly</b> using swapfile, then add more RAM. Otherwise, what's the use. Don't spend money on something you won't use!!!

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Camie, for peace of mind, one who's planning to use applications as bandwidth eating as those as the ones mentioned by this guy (divX encoding, intense gaming, etc.), 512Mb is not luxury.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
512 is plenty for games, graphics or whatever. Your video card and CPU play the biggest role for games anyhow. A good performing video card w/ 128MB should suffice for a long while and for standard and all current games a good performing (ATI 8500 or G4 ti4200) 64MB vid card is plenty.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

I re-read the original thread and you're completely right.

I just talk to a lot of surfers and small gamers etc, who think they need heaps of RAM. It's a good practice to check out your uses though. Whether you're using more or less.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
No. 512Mb ought to be enough for everybody (Hmmmm... I think I've heard something similar way back!)
For now, there's hardly any need for more memory than that for home use of ANY applications.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Right. I agree that it all depends on personal use. In any case, more than 512Mb = money wasted (for now).