Locating a physical location with an IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo07

Distinguished
Is there a piece of software (that the general public can use) that will locate a physical location on the planet via an IP address?

Or even some software that will allow you to put in the tracert hops to pinpoint a location...?

I sometimes get emails from who knows and wonder where they are in the world.

-----UPDATE

What I'm essentially looking for is a program that functions exactly like the tracert command, but gives you the physical locations of the DSU's (or equivalent) for each hop, or something similar, but the key is the physical locations

I don't need to know any more than at the city level

Solution
Still the same process.

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/rirs/countries.html

You need to a point guess which of the 5 address assigning units is responsible for the address. Then hope the owner of the address block has a web page that will tell you who they in turn allocated it to. Many of the large ISP reallocate them to smaller ones.

If that does not work then you must use traceroute and do the same with each hop.

You get into china and the government prevents you from finding much.
Best you may get is a city. It tends to be a waste of time. Most the people doing bad stuff have stolen control of some innocent persons machine.

Most the time you are dependent on the ISP assigning names to their routers that imply location. Some have started to remove this information and you are left to guess location based on latency between hops in the trace.

dingo07

Distinguished

that would be Ok, if all I got was a city...

so what's the tool?

I just do it all manually.

You need to start in arin and/or ripe to see who owns the block.

Pretty much you are limited to using traceroute and hoping the intermediate hops resolve to something that gives you a clue.

You get something like ATT or time warner and you have little hope of finding anything useful.

Still the same process.

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/rirs/countries.html

You need to a point guess which of the 5 address assigning units is responsible for the address. Then hope the owner of the address block has a web page that will tell you who they in turn allocated it to. Many of the large ISP reallocate them to smaller ones.

If that does not work then you must use traceroute and do the same with each hop.

You get into china and the government prevents you from finding much.

Solution
Posting incorrect information to old posts again. I promise it only works brilliant for a small subset of addresses. I can give you a whole bunch of ip it will be completely wrong about. Try any of the ones allocated to large companies or the governments of various countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.