Delete DLLHOST.exe

scianima

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hello,

I was wondering what the process for deleting a infected DLLhost.exe file. My virus software doesn't detect a virus but I read that if your dllhost.exe exceed 5-6 KB than it is infected. I am unable to delete it gives this following error: "Require permission from TrustedInstaller". I need to do the same for svchost.exe file.

Solution
^
You're confusing svchost with dllhost, they're not the same.

Size of Windows 7 64bit version dllhost.exe located in \Windows\System32 folder is 9.728 bytes

Size of 32bit version located in \Windows\SysWOW64 (or \Windows\System32 if you're using 32bit Windows) folder is 7.168 bytes

If you've got a different value then do as zhihao50 said and reinstall Windows.

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Beside the fact that you most likely have the wrong info or its outdated as the file got bigger since the xp days.

You are trying to remove file that your OS needs to operate. Its never a good idea.
svchost is a container for multiple windows process.

Reinstall your os if you want to get rid of virus compeletely but if a good antivirus is not picking it up, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Which antivirus/firewall you are using by the way?

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
^
You're confusing svchost with dllhost, they're not the same.

Size of Windows 7 64bit version dllhost.exe located in \Windows\System32 folder is 9.728 bytes

Size of 32bit version located in \Windows\SysWOW64 (or \Windows\System32 if you're using 32bit Windows) folder is 7.168 bytes

If you've got a different value then do as zhihao50 said and reinstall Windows.

Solution

Greendevil

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

The file svchost on my computer is of 27kB size and dllhost is 9.5kB. I'm using Windows security essentials antivirus, it haven't detected any virus.

Moreover my main problem is my windows photo viewer crashes frequently, while browsing 10-15 photos in photo viewer with right arrow key it crashes and shows me error below. Do you think it is because of size of svchost or virus, I have tried almost all the methods in the internet to find the solution but has been unsuccessful. Plz help..

COM Surrogate has stopped working
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DllHost.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bca54
Fault Module Name: igdumd64.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.2653
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f3aac44
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000030eb06
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 16393
Additional Information 1: 4821
Additional Information 2: 4821355ca40f333f44457bc45edd13e4
Additional Information 3: 8679
Additional Information 4: 86792858eda0533051313d5b6c961a51

fredc125

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I couldn't delete it the stupid thing but found that by just renaming it, it no longer appears in my task manager....good enough for me. Oh, before that i also changed its permissions (upgraded my permissions, downgraded trusted installer permissions or removed if possible). Who the F... is trusted installer anyways and why does he/it have more control over MY pc than I do. AAAAAArg !!!

Brunomannen

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I Think I also have some kind of problem with this thing. It just started yesterday and yesterday I installed IE11 and Visual Studio 2013.

The thing is that I noticed that my cursor change for a second every 15-25 seconds to the round thinking cursor. I open to see running processes and this thing (dllhost.exe) start exactly every time the cursor does the thing. Then it is there for 2-3 seconds and then disappear. Can my conclusion be right?

What is going on? It makes med worried? Can my conclusion be wrong and I have some nasty virus?

davfull

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
I just removed this virus of a customers computer today. The infected dllhost.exe was located in syswow64 folder and the symptoms included many dllhost.exe proccesses in task manager and slow performance due to high cpu usage. No antivirus picked up this virus and I was able to delete it by taking ownership of the syswow64 directory (you can find more info on taking ownership here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ OR google the registry keys needed to take ownership and save them in notepad as a .reg file)

Ctorr

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Hey Davfull. Was the dllhost.exe process described as COM surrogate? And did the processes replicate and delete constantly? If so, a client currently has the same issue and I can feel secure in deleting the file, because I understand this is an important file.

Thanks!

YHWH

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
My problem with dllhost.exe. I'm using Windows7 Home Premium 64 SP1 with only Microsoft audio drivers and Intel extreme graphics drivers. As of a few weeks ago in February 2014, I'm having a problem with hearing audio, some songs have no vocal output while sound tests prove the the speakers work fine. Every time I open the sound volume options from the system task tray near the time and date dllhost.exe loads and freezes the volume options window. I right click on audio icon, open Playback Devices, and everything is fine, except when I go to the next tab for Recording Devices, the tab takes an extra second to load. After trying to click on a recording device, task manager shows that dllhost.exe a COM Surrogate has loaded into memory and then all my sound options freeze and also wont let me close the volume options window. Also while this is happening, if I right click on my desktop to click on Personalization or Screen Resolution, nothing happens when I click on it as if it's frozen. When i terminate dllhost.exe I get error titled "Explorer.exe" and description "The remote procedure call failed." When I click ok, then dllhost.exe disappears from memory and I can continue using my computer as normal. But the sound still has issues with playback even in video games the sound isn't playing normally but in windows volume options I can clearly hear the bells for the sound test in both left and right speakers. This is a weird problem. I ran scans with malwarebyes antimalware, ccleaner, glary utilities, hijackthis, autoruns, slimcleaner, slimdrivers, advanced uninstaller pro 11, advanced systemcare ultimate 7, and none of them show anything out of the ordinary. My only guess is there's something corrupted in the file or inside RPC which I need to now search online for that error. I will make a backup of the dllhost.exe and then rename it and reboot, if I get a worse error I'll rename it back, and then search for the RPC error problem with dllhost.exe. It's also weird that many people are getting this problem around the same time of the year, as if a widespread update made an error on many people's pc like corrupting the RPC? I checked my file sizes and they match the 9.5 and 7.1 file sizes for correct dllhost size. I also just finished an elevated cmd /SFC /SCANNOW and result is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." This is the first time running SFC SCANNOW. I can also reinstall windows but it takes a long time and I'd rather just find the problem and fix it. I must also take this time to tell u all that I read GOD'S WORD and I realized JESUS taught us that we should not waste time working for things that pass away because we cannot take anything to Heaven with us when we die. This is an important part of faith, to be in the world but not of the world. And only the minutes that we spend speaking GOD's WORD out of our mouth or communicating it to another person are the only minutes counted in Heaven as eternal treasures. So JESUS taught us that when we are saved, we will not desire the things of this world anymore, we'll become homeless as JESUS was, and spend 24/7 talking to others about GOD's love, peace, mercy, forgiveness, truth, strength, wisdom, blessings, promises and plans. This is a much different revelation than what is taught in buildings 1 day per week. JESUS said "The people who seek praise from men have no reward in Heaven." JESUS taught us not to desire any materialism and not to work for any materialism, ever. Many spiritual blessings to you brothers and sisters! Love in YHWH YAHSHUA :)

Mustafa Faruk

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
This problem appeared after downloading a 3D movie that turned to be a virus or infected by one! No option was working from deleting to moving it to recycle bin to cutting it there, all made the process freeze and the file using much of my PC memory, crashing..
Solved this problem by simply running CCleaner registry and fix all issues. Then when went to the file and clicked delete, it deleted quickly.
Try this first, must work for you too.