MAC address control with Xbox Wireless-G Adapter

Hi everyone,

I just purchased an Xbox Wireless-G adapter to use with
my netgear wireless router. I use the access control
feature to limit what MAC addresses can access my network.

When setting up my Xbox Wireless-G, I would get most of
the way through and then, after I put in my WEP
encryption info, it would say it couldn't find a network.
The first thing I tried was shutting off the access
control in my router, and this worked.

I double-checked the MAC address on my adapter to see if
I had transposed a number, but no. Is there a trick or a
firmware update I need to get this to work?

Thanks,

Porter

joker

You need to allow the MAC address of the MN-740 and the Xbox to connect
for it to work.

Porter Hall wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just purchased an Xbox Wireless-G adapter to use with
> my netgear wireless router. I use the access control
> feature to limit what MAC addresses can access my network.
>
> When setting up my Xbox Wireless-G, I would get most of
> the way through and then, after I put in my WEP
> encryption info, it would say it couldn't find a network.
> The first thing I tried was shutting off the access
> control in my router, and this worked.
>
> I double-checked the MAC address on my adapter to see if
> I had transposed a number, but no. Is there a trick or a
> firmware update I need to get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Porter

Thanks for your help on this. How do I find the MAC
address of my Xbox? I looked on the bottom of the console
and could only find the S/N and something called a
Product ID.

Thanks,

Porter

If you dig within the XBox Live config, you should be able to find the XBox
MAC address...

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Porter Hall" <porterbhall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help on this. How do I find the MAC
> address of my Xbox? I looked on the bottom of the console
> and could only find the S/N and something called a
> Product ID.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Porter

Thanks to both of you. I got it working. In summary for
anyone who runs into this problem, this is how I got it
to work:

1. First, make sure that your xbox can connect to Xbox
Live before your try to use access control.
2. You need the MAC addresses of both the wireless-g and
your Xbox to your router
3. The MAC address should be printed on the bottom of
your wireless adapter
4. You can find the Xbox MAC address in settings>network
setting, on the lower-right section of your screen, with
the phrase "MAC=" in front of it.
Unfotunately, the address is displayed in kind of a
funny graphical way. It's supposed to look like it's
displayed at an angle, so the last few characters might
be difficult to distinguish on your TV. I have a big-
screen with an s-video connection, and still I originally
had mistaken 8s for Bs. In the advanced settings, there
is a way to over-ride the Xbox Mac address, but I didn't
have to resort to that.
5. When you check connections, it might tell you that it
has found your wireless adapter but that it's not
connected to a network, and it will ask you if you want
to connect it. If you choose this option, you'll have to
re-enter your WEP security info. It's easier, I found
when troubleshooting, to just hit the "b" button to go
back, check our router settings, and try to connect again.

Glad you got it working.

--

> Thanks to both of you. I got it working. In summary for
> anyone who runs into this problem, this is how I got it
> to work:
>
> 1. First, make sure that your xbox can connect to Xbox
> Live before your try to use access control.
> 2. You need the MAC addresses of both the wireless-g and
> your Xbox to your router
> 3. The MAC address should be printed on the bottom of
> your wireless adapter
> 4. You can find the Xbox MAC address in settings>network
> setting, on the lower-right section of your screen, with
> the phrase "MAC=" in front of it.
> Unfotunately, the address is displayed in kind of a
> funny graphical way. It's supposed to look like it's
> displayed at an angle, so the last few characters might
> be difficult to distinguish on your TV. I have a big-
> screen with an s-video connection, and still I originally
> had mistaken 8s for Bs. In the advanced settings, there
> is a way to over-ride the Xbox Mac address, but I didn't
> have to resort to that.
> 5. When you check connections, it might tell you that it
> has found your wireless adapter but that it's not
> connected to a network, and it will ask you if you want
> to connect it. If you choose this option, you'll have to
> re-enter your WEP security info. It's easier, I found
> when troubleshooting, to just hit the "b" button to go
> back, check our router settings, and try to connect again.

What do you do with the mac code off of the wireless g?

am having the same trouble but just can't seem to resolve it :(

Zakkas

You would need to add both the Wireless G adapter MAC address and the MAC address of your Xbox Console to the MAC filter configuration on your Wireless router.