I saw Prey at E3...

Well I just got back from my annual trek to E3.

In the ATI booth, they had a special theater showing Prey so I thought
I'd take a gander at this long-delayed title I've been wondering about
for years. It looks cool, but cool only in the sense that it's another
slick first-person shooter. The Doom 3 engine is used well, but I
really can't say the thing blew me away. We'll see. Right now I'd
classify it as a very competent, polished FPS with nifty visuals, but
pretty much the same exact gameplay we've seen a dozen other times.

One word I kept hearing over and over at E3 this year was "Next Gen".
Well let me tell you, I didn't see a SINGLE game that truly felt "next
gen." Nothing blew me away graphically. Every year I could always count
on some game at Nvidia or ATI's booth to knock my socks off (STALKER
comes to mind), but this year I searched in vain. As for the XBOX 360
-- time will tell. They had a nice racing game running, and Call of
Duty 2 looked identical to the PC version, but nothing else to really
write home about. I'll admit it was cool just seeing a console game run
on an HDTV that finally looked as sharp as PC.

Random tidbits:

I didn't see Quake IV in action, only the big-screen video/trailer they
were showing, and yeah, it does look fun, but trailers always look
good.

Best graphics were probably Half Life 2: The Lost Coast. Some very
elaborate environments, on top of the HDR lighting made this stand out.

Age of Empires III was also fairly impressive. Watching a cannonball
hit a group of soldiers - and then seeing them all tossed around with
true physics - that was fun!

F.E.A.R. - I watched some multiplayer action. I dunno. I've seen so
many rave previews about this game I was expecting more. Maybe the
actual single-player game will impress.

Fable (PC) - if you didn't play Fable on the Xbox, here's your chance
for the PC. Same game, but with much sharper graphics at higher
resolutions. It makes a difference.

Half Life 2 (XBox) - I mention this only because I was pretty impressed
by how good HL2 looks on the Xbox. Somehow they managed to keep most
all of the bump-mapped goodness.

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - I only saw the brief trailer running on a
TV, so I can't really comment. From another preview I've read, actual
hands-on time with this game reveals it's the only one worthy of being
called "next gen".

Finally, the game that actually had a "wow" factor and made me take
notice was (of all things) a Playstation 2 game! It's called Shadow of
the Colossus and I have to say, it drew quite a crowd of onlookers. I
had no idea the PS2 was capable of graphics like this. Basically, you
journey around fighting these enormous 5-story tall creatures. You have
to see the screenshots to know what I'm talking about, but this had
atmosphere, style, and the "it" factor that really felt new and fresh.

But take all this with a grain of salt. It's very difficult to judge a
game at E3 when you're jostling with 10,000 other people. You get only
a few minutes with a game, you almost never hear the sound, and your
senses are totally numbed from the onslaught of the whole place. I
remember seeing KOTOR the year it debuted and thinking it looked lame.
So these brief snapshots are not always accurate and only favor the
fast-paced games, whereas a gem like Thief or KOTOR is only revealed
when you actually have time to play it.

I'd say that next year's E3 will be the true test of "next gen" when we
finally get to see what the XBox 360 and PS3 are truly capable of (and
how much of that will cross over to the PC or not). This felt like a
transition year.

PS -- the booth babes were much better looking this year. Last year a
lot them had that aging porn star/hooker look, but this year, oh mama,
there were some stunning hotties (who didn't mind walking around with
thong shorts that covered absolutely nothing. That was some 100%-grade
ass! I watched whole hallways full of men stop to have a gander).

jlc

"DefconDude" <defcon_dude@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Fable (PC) - if you didn't play Fable on the Xbox, here's your chance
> for the PC. Same game, but with much sharper graphics at higher
> resolutions. It makes a difference.

That's not what I've been reading about Fable PC. From what I understand it
has all new levels and is about 1/3 longer then the Xbox version. JLC

ha! Yes, bump-mapped goodness indeed. Two very large bumps, to be exact
(on front), with some nice curvy bumps behind. I felt vaguely
embarrased actually. There's nothing else to do but stare at these
women like they were objects in a museum. And then when you look to
your left, and then to your right, and find 20 other geeky,
pimply-faced men doing the same thing, that's when it's time to move on
and actually look at the games.

Tim

"DefconDude" <defcon_dude@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> PS -- the booth babes were much better looking this year. Last year a
> lot them had that aging porn star/hooker look, but this year, oh mama,
> there were some stunning hotties (who didn't mind walking around with
> thong shorts that covered absolutely nothing. That was some 100%-grade
> ass! I watched whole hallways full of men stop to have a gander).

Sounds like some real bump-mapped goodness. How come there's never a booth
set up to try them?

I played Fable on the Xbox, and when I saw it today on the PC, I wish I
had waited. The high resolution is so much crisper, and yeah, there are
more levels so the PC will definitely be getting the better version.

"DefconDude" <defcon_dude@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> PS -- the booth babes were much better looking this year. Last year a
> lot them had that aging porn star/hooker look, but this year, oh mama,
> there were some stunning hotties (who didn't mind walking around with
> thong shorts that covered absolutely nothing. That was some 100%-grade
> ass! I watched whole hallways full of men stop to have a gander).

Flickr is your friend. Well, our friend. You DID take picks? Video?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Tim

> ha! Yes, bump-mapped goodness indeed. Two very large bumps, to be exact
> (on front), with some nice curvy bumps behind.

Where do they get them, are the women hired from local modeling agencies?
As modeling gigs go, I imagine it's a few notches down from a Sports
Illustrated swimsuit shoot.

Toby

On 2005-05-20, DefconDude <defcon_dude@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well I just got back from my annual trek to E3.

Nothing about Duke Forever?

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

DefconDude wrote:
> Best graphics were probably Half Life 2: The Lost Coast. Some very
> elaborate environments, on top of the HDR lighting made this stand out.

LOL. Boy, are there going to be some "Engine Capability Know Alls"
hating that.

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> DefconDude wrote:
> > Best graphics were probably Half Life 2: The Lost Coast. Some very
> > elaborate environments, on top of the HDR lighting made this stand out.
>
> LOL. Boy, are there going to be some "Engine Capability Know Alls"
> hating that.

Well, he wrote about elaborate environments. This always was a strong
point of HL and HL2 (and VTMB). But then I wonder if HDR finally makes
multiple shadows from multiple lightsources possible. In the movie it
seems that there is still no realtime shadow...

It's ironic that the best games on a console will be released near the end
of the cycle. Just as the programmers get good on one system,along comes the
next generation and they have to start learning all over again.

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> It's ironic that the best games on a console will be released near the end
> of the cycle. Just as the programmers get good on one system,along comes
> the
> next generation and they have to start learning all over again.

Sad but true, there's no time to craft games with style and innovation when
the platforms keep slipping out from under the developers.

Thusly "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> Spake Unto All:

>It's ironic that the best games on a console will be released near the end
>of the cycle. Just as the programmers get good on one system,along comes the
>next generation and they have to start learning all over again.

What's sad, though, is that if you're right, that means that it takes
5 years for devs to get good on a console.

Thusly "Tim" <ixnay@ontheamspay.com> Spake Unto All:

>> of the cycle. Just as the programmers get good on one system,along comes
>> the
>> next generation and they have to start learning all over again.
>>

>Sad but true, there's no time to craft games with style and innovation when
>the platforms keep slipping out from under the developers.

Guys, you're dreaming. The generation time for consoles is *five
years*.

Well like I said in my initial post, I saw the Prey demo at E3 and the
graphics are certainly polished, but not amazing. They look like Doom 3
and are nothing more than the standard bump-mapped alien corridor with
weird mechanical machines spinning around, making lots of noises and
lights, but serving no apparent purpose. The gameplay involved the
standard "shoot anything that moves". There was a rather large and
impressive boss alien though and a kind of neat move where your spirit
leaves your body for a bit, allowing you to go through things like
force-fields. I'm not convinced about the whole Native American
backstory though.

And of interest, the demo featured some in-engine stuff that took place
outdoors in an Indian desert camp. To me, it looked fairly average.
Once you take away the shadows and flashing lights, I'm not sure the
Doom 3 engine isn't so hot.

"DefconDude" <defcon_dude@yahoo.com> wrote:

>PS -- the booth babes were much better looking this year. Last year a
>lot them had that aging porn star/hooker look, but this year, oh mama,
>there were some stunning hotties (who didn't mind walking around with
>thong shorts that covered absolutely nothing. That was some 100%-grade
>ass! I watched whole hallways full of men stop to have a gander).

That's the real reason everyone wants to be a game developer.

"DefconDude" <defcon_dude@yahoo.com> wrote:
>ha! Yes, bump-mapped goodness indeed. Two very large bumps, to be exact
>(on front), with some nice curvy bumps behind. I felt vaguely
>embarrased actually. There's nothing else to do but stare at these
>women like they were objects in a museum. And then when you look to
>your left, and then to your right, and find 20 other geeky,
>pimply-faced men doing the same thing, that's when it's time to move on
>and actually look at the games.

Yeah they're being paid to be ogled but you sure wouldn't want them to
notice you doing it. It feels really rude.

TRENDING THREADS