Steam Games - Installed on more than one pc

Last response: in Video Games
May 20, 2005 4:04:37 AM

I have successfully played counter-strike source via two computers
simultaneously online on the same server with one copy of the game. So
does this mean Valve is not watching? Have others done this too? I
know its wrong but I'm sure people have friends over they want to play
it with them every now and then. Valve would probably warn people
before they start banning accounts. Can anyone confirm?

More about : steam games installed

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:23:33 AM

Orta Chesse wrote:
> I have successfully played counter-strike source via two computers
> simultaneously online on the same server with one copy of the game.
So
> does this mean Valve is not watching? Have others done this too? I
> know its wrong but I'm sure people have friends over they want to
play
> it with them every now and then. Valve would probably warn people
> before they start banning accounts. Can anyone confirm?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When I upgraded my copy of
Half-Life 1 to Steam I let a sibling install it as well. Sometimes
when he was online in Counter-Strike I couldn't join a server but other
times it worked even while I knew he was playing elsewhere. As I
understood it back then there were two verification servers and I
believe you could encourage it to login into one of the two somewhere
in a config file.

If my understanding was correct this meant someone could be verified
via one server for a particular Steam account and someone else could be
verified on the other central server using the same Steam account.
Things may have changed since then but I've seen it also -sometimes it
didn't work.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

x-no-archive: yes

Orta Chesse wrote:

yes now you can... but attention its only NOW cause very soon
it will change

this has all to do with the off-line mode
only when valve will take out off-line mode in steam will you
not be able to play the same copy in more than one computer

so yes now you can but very soon you won't
its obvious off-line mode will be discontinued by valve and
you will need to be always connected to play single-player
its like big brother watching you 24/7!

so please think about what steam is all about
think about what steam makes you do!

do you want you and your computer to be MONITORED 24/7 for
the rest of your life?
do you want that?

steam is all that and much more
steam is totally against consumer rights and very intrusive
violating your privacy and your freedom

steam turns you into a submissive enslaved imprisoned gamer
which has to obey loyally and blindly to master valve
is that what you want to become?

SAY NO TO STEAM!
BOYCOOT STEAM INFECTED PC GAMES!
FIGHT AGAINST VALVE!

with all the other proper pc games free of steam you don't
have any of this restrictions and you can install the same
copy in any computer you like
but attention the pc games you own are exclusively for your
personal use only!
so only install on computer you own and you use and not in
other ones computers
lending of pc games not only is illegal but it damaging to
pc games

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

(wipes tears of laughter from eyes)
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:43:23 PM

Orta Chesse wrote:
> I have successfully played counter-strike source via two computers
> simultaneously online on the same server with one copy of the game. So
> does this mean Valve is not watching? Have others done this too? I
> know its wrong but I'm sure people have friends over they want to play
> it with them every now and then. Valve would probably warn people
> before they start banning accounts. Can anyone confirm?

I presume when you say "one copy of the game", you mean "using the same
Steam account at the same time". If that's the case, I thought Steam
checked to see if the same user was logged on at the same time? If not...
May 20, 2005 8:43:24 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:43:23 +0930, GFree <gfree678@gmail.com> wrote:

>I presume when you say "one copy of the game", you mean "using the same
>Steam account at the same time". If that's the case, I thought Steam
>checked to see if the same user was logged on at the same time? If not...

That is what I thought.
May 20, 2005 9:32:18 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:37:33 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>(wipes tears of laughter from eyes)

I may sympathize with sayNO2, steamK's intent, but I have
sure given up reading his ramblings. He is obviously very lonely
and bored, since his Mummy has probably denied his allowance
for any PC games until school is out.

I am making the gross assumption ( in error ?) that he actually
does buy PC games. Afair, he has never listed in newsgroups
that he has decided to honor (???) with his presence ANY
PC games that he actually owns, in spite of repeated requests
from many of us.

John Lewis
!