silent computer cases?

so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.

like a ninja perhaps.

-hev
14 answers Last reply
More about silent computer cases

    Slap the bitch :-)

    No, actually I used a home stereo cabinet back before sound booths and
    with a little foam and a few pieces of extra sound board to vent the
    sound down from the holes you won't hear much. The sound boxes for sale
    are good but cost more then they should plus they need that little fan
    of theirs blowing so you still get sound anyway.

    Hev wrote:

    > so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.
    >
    > like a ninja perhaps.
    >
    > -hev

    << so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.

    Check in with Elias at www.silencecases.com & tell him I sent you.

    Scott Fraser

    "ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
    > << so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.
    > >>

    > Check in with Elias at www.silencecases.com & tell him I sent you.
    >

    > Scott Fraser

    i could kiss you on the lips. looks like a great product at a great price.
    cool listening demo too.

    I dont usually do this on the first date.

    -hev

    Hey - that is a pretty slick little box

    ScotFraser wrote:
    > << so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.
    > >>

    > Check in with Elias at www.silencecases.com & tell him I sent you.
    >

    > Scott Fraser

    this would not be at all hard to make yourself....thick poly foam would be a
    great insulator. You would need a heavy duty cooling fan/system and good
    ventilation tho.

    --

    Jonny Durango

    "Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

    http://www.jdurango.com

    "ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
    > << so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.
    > >>

    > Check in with Elias at www.silencecases.com & tell him I sent you.
    >

    > Scott Fraser

    I made one that out of a stereo cabinet that was 3 feet tall. There was
    enough air in there that it never got hot (in a los angeles environment)
    It was sealed with small holes in the bottom of the floor and a 6 inch
    vent hole in the back that had sound board baffles point the sound down
    and to let wires in and out.

    Jonny Durango wrote:

    > this would not be at all hard to make yourself....thick poly foam would be a
    > great insulator. You would need a heavy duty cooling fan/system and good
    > ventilation tho.

    << this would not be at all hard to make yourself....>>

    True, you just need a basic woodshop & some cabinetry skills, but more
    importantly you need time.

    <<thick poly foam would be a
    great insulator. >>

    No, it has to be dense & impermeable. Particle board is the substance of
    choice.

    <<You would need a heavy duty cooling fan/system and good
    ventilation tho.

    That's what Silence Cases has already worked out very nicely. And it's actually
    not a very beefy set of fans.

    Scott Fraser

    "ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
    > << so what is the latest word on making a pc DAW silent.
    > >>

    > Check in with Elias at www.silencecases.com & tell him I sent you.

    I made basically the exact same thing with an unfinished kitchen cabinet I
    bought at Home Depot. That and a piece of particle board for the bottom
    shelf (setting on some angle brackets) was all it took. About $50 total. Of
    course foam will be extra.

    Zaleman is the trick for sure.

    Their heatsinks and fans are wonderful. I just put together a P4 in a
    generic case. I used the big round copper heat sink on the processor
    (about $40) and a passive cooler for the video card.I replaced the
    power supply fan with Zalman slim fan (run at 7V) and a case fan run
    at the 'silent' 5 volt setting. It is *extremely* quiet with no case
    padding. The processor is a Northwood 2.8 (runs cooler and still
    hyperthreads on a 800 FSB) gently overclocked to 3.2 and the processor
    fan is run at it's minimum speed.

    Best $70 I've ever spent on computer quieting. I've tried Antec and PC
    Power and Cooling with only mediocre results.

    Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
    @/

    On 31 Aug 2004 08:40:53 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
    wrote:

    >This one from Zalman looks pretty impressive:
    >
    >http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/20040115/index.html

    << i could kiss you on the lips.>>

    I'll settle for an affectionate pat on the tusch.

    << looks like a great product at a great price. >>

    And Elias is a great guy. As soon as I mentioned my producer's desk was oak he
    offered to make my case from oak, even though it's not one of the options
    listed on his site. Also not mentioned is that the fan speed is variable, so
    you can lower the speed a bit if your computer is running cool & have a bit
    less overall noise.

    Scott Fraser

    > Same as it always was. The more money you stuff into the case, the
    > quieter it gets.

    LOL

    << I made basically the exact same thing with an unfinished kitchen cabinet I
    bought at Home Depot. That and a piece of particle board for the bottom
    shelf (setting on some angle brackets) was all it took. About $50 total. Of
    course foam will be extra. >>

    And of course the baffled airflow system that Silence Cases utilizes would be
    extra too. And the rubber gasketed cable pass throughs. And the furniture grade
    finish. There's a lot more to it than just a kitchen cabinet.

    > << I made basically the exact same thing with an unfinished kitchen
    cabinet I
    > bought at Home Depot. That and a piece of particle board for the bottom
    > shelf (setting on some angle brackets) was all it took. About $50 total.
    Of
    > course foam will be extra. >>
    >
    > And of course the baffled airflow system that Silence Cases utilizes would
    be
    > extra too. And the rubber gasketed cable pass throughs. And the furniture
    grade
    > finish. There's a lot more to it than just a kitchen cabinet.

    Oh, yeah. And their price is killer BTW. About 1/4 of what others charge for
    basically the same thing. I was just saying you can do a whole lot with very
    little time and money if you look around.

    << I was just saying you can do a whole lot with very
    little time and money if you look around.

    And I've purchased several furniture items with the intent to convert them into
    computer enclosures, but it's the time that I don't have. That's why I went to
    Silence Cases.

    Scott Fraser

Pro Audio Cases Computers Audio